Help !!!!

willowmina moonwillowmina moon Posts: 109Registered Users
Asking for a bit of help. I am trying alot of different products to CO wash my hair. Suave, White Rain, VO5 are causing dryness and stiffness. I have tried several different Redkin condish products after CO washing. Still not helping. Seem to be losing curl instead of getting more. Still have lots of frizz some days. My hair is med. thickness and very fine. The curl gets pulled out easy. The Redkin shampoo and conditioner for curly hair work well for a few days then my hair gets very dry. When I do shampoo, about 1 time a wk now,I mix a small amount of shampoo with alot of water, my hair looks great for 2-3 days then gets yucky looking with a few days of co washing. Are the Devacurl products good? HELP!!!
Willowmina
Willow Moon
3a, thin, fine, porous
Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry

Comments

• KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    Have you shampooed/clarifies your hair in a while? Maybe the conditioners you are using have silicones that are builduing up in your hair. That can cause mayor frizzies and make the hair feel very dry.

You can use really mild shampoos (sulfate free) to get rid of most silicones.

• willowmina moonwillowmina moon Posts: 109Registered Users
    I have tried clarifing my hair then use only COW for a week and condish with no cones. Same thing happens. I have dry hair and the ends get really dry and rough feeling. Whats a good condish for dry hair that won't weigh down the curls? And a good Gel that will hold the curls?
    Willowmina
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    So is it just the ends that get dry?
    Does it feel dry just after you clarify or does it get worse and worse the longer you go Co washing?

I would look at the ingredients in the stuff you use. Your hair might get over-conditioned or not liking protein.
    You might also need a Deep treatment..but that sounds less likely for now I think.

Have you had a cut in a while?

• spiderdustspiderdust Posts: 8Registered Users
    Which Suave, White Rain, and VO5 conditioners are you using? That can sometimes make a big difference.
    My hair looks good and feels good for a few days after I clairify. Its all my hair that is dry, but the ends are worse. I have used the Suave Aloe, the VO5 Kiwi, and the White Rain for Extra Body. The gel I'm using is the DEP Sport and one of the L.A. Looks. The cond. after co washing I have tried is the Suave for curls and the Aussie 3 min. Thanks for trying to help.
    Willowmina
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    So I am thinking you are getting over-conditioned. Some of us can't handle conditioner washing only. It's like the hair gets too much of the good and it feels and acts weird. Feel dry and stiff.
    What if you could find a very mild sulfate free shampoo/cleanser to use like once a week or something. Look for something that has Cocamidopropyl Betaine in it and no sulfates.

I had a problem with over-conditioning when I was on "full" CG. I have to use a mild shampoo every week.
    We all have different hair though, so you have to test your way to what works for yours.

• Catsmd71Catsmd71 Posts: 93Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi,

white rain was horrid on my hair. I don't like VO5 either. Try Suave Fresh Curls (I think that's the name). It compares to Matrix and should coconut in it. Or use Matrix/Redken/products on this website. Also, give your hair a small trim. Just a half inch can really improve hair. I haven't been to a salon in years. I trim myself and no one knows the difference b/c I have so many curls.
    Curly 3a. Letting it grow, using conditioners and products that are PRO curl and not straightening thanks to NC.com.
    PW: curlz
    Curly 3a. Letting it grow, using conditioners and products that are PRO curl and not straightening thanks to NC.com.
  • frizzbombfrizzbomb Posts: 56Registered Users
    I've been having the exact same problem and I have extremely fine, medium to thin hair!

I think my hair just needs shampoo every couple of days. When the weather was a little cooler I could go a bit longer but, now that its hot and humid after 3 days of just conditioner (or even just no shampoo) my hair starts feeling really dry and getting frizzy. Shampoo relaxes the curl a little too though so I'm not really sure what the answer is but, the day or 2 after I shampoo are still the best (of my pretty ok to not at all ok range) right now.
    Extremely fine 2b/3a. My frizz has tamed considerably but, I still have my "moments."
    Currently liking:
    TJs Nourish, Set Me Up, Curl Keeper and Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana deep fix.

password: wavy
  • spiderdustspiderdust Posts: 8Registered Users
    I have used the Suave Aloe, the VO5 Kiwi, and the White Rain for Extra Body. The gel I'm using is the DEP Sport and one of the L.A. Looks. The cond. after co washing I have tried is the Suave for curls and the Aussie 3 min. Thanks for trying to help.
    Willowmina

Did you know the VO5 kiwi is a super clarifying conditioner? That could be part of the problem.

Just try conditioning it once (rather than co washing and then conditioning) by co washing with the Suave for curls. Another good one to try is the Suave coconut.

Are your gels alcohol free?
    Good point with the alcohol free gels? I can ONLY use alc. free.
    Tomorrow I go to Salon 330 in Dallas. I have read good things about it on this site. Could't get in with Yancy or Peg. They told me that John was also really good with curly hair, I am hoping he really is. I have been trying to grow it out and go back to my natural color. Lots of gray, which is ok, I have been coloring it for years because it helped straighten the curl and keep down the frizz. WISH ME LUCK. I let you know how it goes. He's going to have to cut lots off because the ends are so damaged.
    Willowmina Moon
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
  • Leilani42Leilani42 Posts: 200Registered Users
    could you possibly be leaving too much co in? The loss of curl could just be buildup of conditioner residue. I'm not sure, tho. Hope you can get that worked out!
    2c/3a-M-i
    modified CG since July 2004.
    searching for products that work...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file