Mild/safe relaxer

emmmmaemmmma Posts: 6Registered Users
I am a male with coarse,dry 3b hair and I'm really looking for a change. I don't want my hair to be completely straight, just wavy and hangs downward. Any suggestions on a relaxer i should use and where I can buy it would be great. I would also definitely try a temporary relaxer. Or homemade suggestions? Also, does baka hair laxer work??? Thanks

Comments

• PrettyPorcupinePrettyPorcupine Posts: 258Registered Users
    Thios (thioglycerate-based relaxers) are considered the mildest and thios are the principal ingredient in those "frizz removers" some companies like Ogilvie sell.

They might be what you're looking for--most relaxers/straighteners marketed to Caucasians are thio-based. These include Ogilvie straightener, Rusk Anti-Curl, EasyStraight, and one'n'only.

A lot of people get good results from them, and given their mild formulation they might be your best bet. They won't get you pin-straight and they have a lower ph than traditional relaxers do.

BUT...BUT...And this is a BIG caution: For some people, they are terrible. For me personally, thios are the devil :cwm21: and I wouldn't go near one again for anything. My experience, every time, has been hair that was ravaged, wrecked, twice as frizzy...and still curly!!

I actually got less damage and better results from lye relaxers.

So keep that in mind. A thio could be the answer to your prayers :angel12:...or a descent into hair hell! The moral: Do a strand test!
    Modified CG. You'll pry my 'cones from my cold dead fingers! Mixed waves, coarse, below shoulder length, dark brown. I hate my hair :evil: but I'm trying to learn to accept it.

Gels: LA Looks Wet Look Styling Gel, Garnier Fructis Wet Shine Gel. Condish: Alberto V05 Free Me Fresia, Tresemme' Flawless Curls, LVPNG, Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Shampoo: Tresemme' Flawless Curls. Silicone Serum: Whatever is on sale, but I don't leave home without it.
  • audeoaudeo Posts: 42Registered Users
    If your hair is virgin, do yourself a favor and get one of the keratin treatments. I used a thio based straightener (one n only curl remover) and it did nothing for the frizz. Now, I'm trying to grow out the damage and have had 2 keratin treatments. The difference is amazing. For the first time in my life, I can blow my hair dry and NO FRIZZ! It will be pretty straight at first, but the waves come back but the frizz and volume stay under control.
    There are a number of youtube videos that show the process and you can order a 2-3 oz bottle on ebay for $40. Find a friend to do it for you. It's a simple process. Keratin doesn't damage the way all straighteners do, and it "wears off", so no half straight and half curly as it grows.
    You'll be glad you did!
  • sandipalmssandipalms Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm having a Coppola keratin treatment consultation tomorrow w/a local salon that advertises they do the treatment. I previously relaxed with Ogilvie, and 2 years ago I had thermal reconditioning.
    My hair right now is very split, mainly around the front hairline. It is brittle, I can snap it off, and full of split ends, like I said around the face. I keep snipping off the split ends, and I've recently realized that the split just comes back even if the trimmed hair is only about 2" long! Why am I having so much split hair?
    I've been reading online about the Keratin process, and in some cases, people love it, in a few cases, I've read that the hair broke off.
    Pls let me know how your hair is doing, also I 've read you can't use any hair product w.sodium after the keratin.
  • xxCaitlinxxxxCaitlinxx Posts: 23Registered Users
    and i have finally came up with this....
    Rusk Thermal Shiny Str8!
    it sounds awesome! and i think i may do it, but i would like to know if anyone has done it. its supposed to be safe, formaldehyde free, and it is supposed to last 4 months. if anyone can get back to me that would be AMAZING! and also....how can you start a post....i am new.... :laughing6: thanks in advance!
  • PrettyPorcupinePrettyPorcupine Posts: 258Registered Users
    The Rusk straightener is a thio; in fact it's a version of Japanese or thermal reconditioning. There are several threads here about that -- you should read them because a LOT of people report being thrilled at first and then having serious problems with damage after doing thermal reconditioning.
    Modified CG. You'll pry my 'cones from my cold dead fingers! Mixed waves, coarse, below shoulder length, dark brown. I hate my hair :evil: but I'm trying to learn to accept it.

Gels: LA Looks Wet Look Styling Gel, Garnier Fructis Wet Shine Gel. Condish: Alberto V05 Free Me Fresia, Tresemme' Flawless Curls, LVPNG, Neutrogena Triple Moisture. Shampoo: Tresemme' Flawless Curls. Silicone Serum: Whatever is on sale, but I don't leave home without it.
  • Curls AgainCurls Again Posts: 314Registered Users
    Great thread. I did yuko for 2 years and am stopping because of time and expense. I am considering use of the ogilvie hair straightener, but it gets really mixed reviews online, from glowing to scary. Any more insights or thoughts on Ogilvie?
    formerly COH (Curls On Holiday)
  • taltaltaltal Posts: 614Registered Users
    emmmma wrote: »
    I am a male with coarse,dry 3b hair and I'm really looking for a change. I don't want my hair to be completely straight, just wavy and hangs downward. Any suggestions on a relaxer i should use and where I can buy it would be great. I would also definitely try a temporary relaxer. Or homemade suggestions? Also, does baka hair laxer work??? Thanks

I definitely recommend using a homemade mixture. There are multiple homemade mixtures which act as natural curl looseners. A few are the coconut and lime treatment, 0% plain yoghurt, sour cream and lemon, and others.
    Visit the "Recipes -- for hair and body" page,
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/forumdisplay.php?f=35
    and you will find lots of recipes for homemade mixtures.

They won't straighten your hair like a chemical relaxer, but they make the curls much more defined and sometimes loosen the curl a bit.
    They also don't damage the hair. Some of them might have effects that last a few weeks and some of them might not work for you at all. You have to try a few until you find one that works best for your hair.

Try a few natural solutions before opting to use a relaxer as relaxers ( even those with thioglycolate (which are supposed to be milder) are harmful to the hair).

If you do eventually decide to chemically straighten your hair, make sure you do it with a professional who uses good quality products (which you have been shown in their original tubes/bottles) and works with a timer.

Hope this is helpful to you.
  • ~Ghost Poster~~Ghost Poster~ Posts: 2,264Registered Users
    emmmma wrote: »

There is no such thing as a "safe" relaxer. Try a keratin treatment. There are a million threads here about them and info all over the Web.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]d575b15bb0aa40deb59950570e3268e7.gif
    Baby fine, honey & caramel hilites, 4a/3c now 2b w/DIY BKT & LOVIN' it.
    Cowash-V05 Extra Body
    L'oreal EP Moisture-Rinse-out
    JFLVM
    BRHG mix w/
    KCCC/KCKT (winter)
    Clean-smelling-hair freak washes EOD; dry w/bowl diffuser
    Cassia+henna+grays=Gold-red hilites :love1:
    ~That you don't share my experiences/opinions doesn't invalidate them :wink:
    I wondered if it tasted like a hot dog. ~Phoenix

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file