Brushing wavy hair

csbcsb Posts: 225Registered Users
No, I'm not a newbie. Yes, I know that brushing is terrible for curls. It's also terrible for straight hair (causes breakage, chips away at the cuticle, etc.). I'm just tired of trying to make my hair into something else. My hair is wavy. I can make it 3a with lots of products and diffusing, and if I don't touch it. (Frankly, it feels so icky with that much product that I don't want to touch it.) I can make it straight with curlers or a straightening iron.

But I'm really a wavy. My waves look really nice, shiny and frizz-free if I use products with cones and brush them. If I let it dry naturally, even using curl-friendly products, it's an undefined frizz ball. I can actually make my hair look like those models and celebrities using cones, a hairdryer, and a brush, so why shouldn't I? Am I really a bad person?

Comments

• DolphinCurlsDolphinCurls Posts: 370Registered Users
    Most people don't like brushing because it pulls out the curl. For me if I brush my hair and let it dry, it dries practically straight. It makes me wonder that if you didn't brush that your hair might actually be curlier than you say. But if it works for you, go for it.
    3A/2C combination of ringlets and waves :nike:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Am I really a bad person?

How can that possibly be? Do whatever makes you and your hair happiest.
  • funkymunkycurlfunkymunkycurl Posts: 83Registered Users
    If you like your hair better by using products with cones and brushing it, do it. No one is going to say you are a bad person for it. Good for you for doing what makes you happy and feel good.
    Formerly known as colomunky.
  • DancingbadgerDancingbadger Posts: 136Registered Users
    Most people don't like brushing because it pulls out the curl. For me if I brush my hair and let it dry, it dries practically straight. It makes me wonder that if you didn't brush that your hair might actually be curlier than you say. But if it works for you, go for it.

Straightens out my hair too and it gets sort of puffy. I usually need to commit to either curly or straight. When I straighten my hair, i do brush it out, my hair is pretty strong and doesn't seem to get too damaged.

(exept for the little tiny knots forming at the nape of my neck lately, but that's for another thread)
    My hair is a mix of 2b/3a and even a bit of 3b thrown in! I would call my hair wavycelli. It curls most when I leave it alone after wet scrunching. My hair has a spring factor of about 2 or 3 inches and has a very silky, medium texture.
  • csbcsb Posts: 225Registered Users
    I like to brush my waves because my hair is more wavy on top and curly on the bottom. Brushing just makes it look more uniform and polished. I do wear it curly sometimes, but I've been liking it less and less lately.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I don't brush, but I do often use a wide toothed comb on my dry hair to get the same effect. It is very Veronica Lake.....I totally know what you mean. If you are concerned about the damage caused by brushing, though, you might want to try the wide-toothed comb.

Inspiration:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/2440/vl1.jpg
  • MegnificentMegnificent Posts: 109Registered Users
    That was me, I don't know why it said "Guest"
    2a-3a

Fotki: curlymeg

Nature's Gate Awapuhi Volumizing Conditioner
    Graham Webb Making Waves gel
    jojoba or coconut oil as a DT

Hair is pretty great now that it's colder, now I'm focusing on my skin. Sniffle.
    Exactly. I like that smoother look. My hair is very fine, though, so a wide tooth comb might not get all the hairs. I'll give it a try.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    If you have a really nice natural bristle brush and you brush gently, you won't damage your hair - at least not noticeably so. I don't know what the heck I am, but I find that the good brush I steal from my mom's drawer (I know, I know - it gets worse, she's type 1 too!) just smooths it and makes it look nice - I think it makes my hair all one flowing piece, if that makes sense, and I find that it doesn't poof me up.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
    I like that look for work. I just need that little bit to make my hair look more controlled.
  • stubbornirishhairstubbornirishhair Posts: 118Registered Users
    I sometimes use a wide tooth comb when my hair is dry also. Usually it is on second day hair, and it is to make it look neater. It leaves my hair soft and slightly wavey. However, I threw out my brush and don't regret it. I never brushed much anyway, it just my made my hair puffy at first, then oily and flat later in the day.
    2B wavy thick hair
    Fia=2a M iii
    modified CG since 1/12/06
  • ChrematisaiChrematisai Posts: 85Registered Users
    If I brush mine while its wet, it will dry almost dead straight. That's why I thought I had straight hair up until March of this year. That is the sole reason I don't brush it anymore (i think my straight hair was boring). My wave needs lots of encouragement, so even using a wide toothed comb on it will reduce the wave. But if your hair behaves itself when brushed, and doesn't seem to be harmed by it, go for it.
    "A face without freckles is like a night without stars"

~Jenny

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file