Things You Wouldn't Want to Lose

SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
What's the first thing that comes to your mind?

For me, it's my knives. That sounds weird to people, but when I have lost knives (read: had them stolen), I've always been really bummed out. I have more than one chef's knife, so I'll never be without one, but still. It's not just the monetary value (though it certainly stings, to put it mildly), but I do get really attached to each one of them.
And if I lost my whole kit, I'd be pretty damn screwed.

What item has special value to you and therefore would bother you to lose?
por-que-no-te-callas.jpg

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,171Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My wrist watch. I stuck it out at a job for 10 years even though at the very end I was hiding in the women's room and crying every lunch hour just so I could get their health insurance which continues if you make 10 years. I left the very day I made 10 years and I bought this gorgeous expensive wrist watch for myself to remind me that I had stuck it out. My watch says I did it - yea for me :hello1:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • kg91308kg91308 Posts: 327Registered Users
    My car key. Because I already lost my spare car key.

Also my wedding ring, or a diamond out of it. Or the silver heart necklace my hubby got for me our first Valentine's Day together. I haven't taken it off since.
    Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to! :toothy10:
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My hair care products - I've grown attached. :afro:

I would also not want to lose my euphonium (instrument). But I have insurance on that.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I'd hate to lose my mind - it's a slow painful process but I'd like to keep what little bit I've gained so far.

I don't know if others would be too sad if I lost my voice. :geek:
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    first things that came to mind were my kid and my blanket. and yes, i still carry around my childhood blankie.
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Subbrock, I have a friend who also has her blankie and she has taken it to all the different countries she has traveled to. She says she's very protective of it!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    my sense of smell. I got kinda sick this cold season and lost it for about a week. I never realized how much I relied on it for cooking, fullness, safety, etc.
    hello.world.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1st thing that came to mind is my mind and my hair....
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    The first thing that came to mind was losing my optimism, cheesy as it sounds. I think of myself as a happy person, and my hope carries me on.

But like an actual thing would be my journals. I have some from when I was little and wrote ridiculous stories and I use one as a diary, and have a journal file in word for stories.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sanity, memories, friends, family members, my good looks and great sense of humor (kidding about the last two)...and my ability for and my love of running.

Also my hair!
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I meant more in terms of material things and items you've acquired, not things like mental faculties. Clearly having a set of knives and an unsound mind or a lack of eyesight wouldn't be such a good idea. ;)
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    My ability to be active. My mom was never an athlete, and she has never been able to get active as an adult.

Also, my ability to get ready and JUST get out the door. Another thing my mom is absolutely incapable of. You have to give her hours of notice and multiple reminders along the way to get out the door within an hour of the time you stated (and she gets mad at the reminders, but if you don't give them, you will leave 2 hours late easily).
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • newcurlynewcurly Posts: 1,310Registered Users
    Sairis wrote: »
    I meant more in terms of material things and items you've acquired, not things like mental faculties. Clearly having a set of knives and an unsound mind wouldn't be such a good idea. ;)
    Yeah, but there just aren't many material things that would bother me that much. They are things. They can be replaced (at an expense, obviously). I guess for me, my purse (whichever one has all my credit cards/bank card/ID in it at the time) and my stethoscope would top the list. My stethoscope isn't THAT expensive, but it's the same one I've had since I was a first year medical student.
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a necklace that was made from my grandmother's wedding ring. Grandpa bought her a bigger one and had the smaller one made into a necklace for her. She gave it to me a few years ago and while it's not a big diamond, I would really hate to lose it.

And my Kindle.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
    I would hate to lose my original set of wedding rings.
  • LikeAustraliaLikeAustralia Posts: 2,812Registered Users
    I have a silver necklace that my SO got me for one of our first holidays together. It's two hearts attached so it looks like an infinity symbol. Cheesy, I know, but it's very sweet at the same time. He put a lot of thought into it and I pretty much wear it every day. He's gotten me more expensive, fancier jewelry since then that I wear I mostly for special occasions, but I'd really be upset if I lost this one. :love5:
    Not Cindy or Sindy or Syndey or any other such abomination.
    It's Sydney, like Australia.
    Formerly known as SydneyCurl.

• TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    My dog, Sandy. If she got lost or ran away or something I would be a complete basket case!

She's my baby!
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Sentimental stuff...
    I'm such a sap!

:eye:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    My wedding ring. I lost it during a move once; it fell in an empty box. I tore my apartment apart looking for it and found it, but it was a horrible feeling.

I'd also hate to lose my cats. I love those crazy furballs.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • FlashdanceFlashdance Posts: 91Registered Users
    :walk:My Cool... Op- Wait....:idea1: :-? where did I?:dontknow:
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Flashdance wrote: »
    :walk:My Cool... Op- Wait....:idea1: :-? where did I?:dontknow:

lol

As far as material things go I would hate to lose my album collection. None of it is super rare or hard to find but I would hate to have to replace them all. My "Alicia Bear", my dad bought it for me the day I was born and I still have it today. My family's kettles and pots that have been passed down through generations and we've already lost a big cast iron skillet that my grandmother is still upset about.
    My dog doesn't count as a material thing but I would lose it I lost her. I'd go to jail behind my german shepard!!!
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The pearl necklace my Grandmother gave me when I was born.

And, although I almost never wear them, a pair of diamond earrings from my wedding, and a fire opal ring (also from Grandmother).
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Definitely my bible. It's getting all ratty, but my parents bought it for me when I was a kid.

In the Presented To- By section, my dad wrote:

Her Mom and I upon the occasion of Her Seventh Birthday.

May God bless your reading of it Sweety-Pie!

Need to get a new one since the cover and some of the pages are getting too messed up, but it's up there because of regarding the information it contains as relevant in the utmost to my existence (personally scrutinized and later realized, no brainwashing included ;)) and the sentimentality for the gift it was.

A pair of calf high boots that would have been my answer to the shoe soul mate thread. Once I accidentally broke a bottle of nail polish in a store, mostly spilling it on them. Was pretty scared for them, but fortunately in the end they cleaned up well.

This little 12" x 9" hand crafted three drawer...thing. It's painted to look a bit warn in this light gray-ish blue shade, and it has white handles. There's old sail ships and seagull raised carvings on the drawers against a subtle darker blue painted on sea. Got it last year at ROSS for not much money at all, and I don't think it's made out of durable wood, but it just looks interesting and has this peaceful quality.

A locket sent to me from a great Aunt who I don't really know well. She lost both her children when they were teenagers, has been an alcoholic for decades, has a difficult time getting on with others and has isolated herself. It's simultaneously a sad reminder that circumstances inhibit a relationship, and it's kinda moving that without actively feeling love in return, she sent it. As a piece of jewelery, I just like it too.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    all unlikely to be lost but I'd be crushed, materially speaking - photo albums, laptop, favorite garments and jewelry, favorite pieces of art and furniture. Like wile, sentimental things (momentos).
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    nm
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my identity ;) just kidding. there are no material things that would upset me if i lost them.
    My engagement ring, because my fiance made it himself. It's also beautiful, but that's not the main thing.

Photos. A half-finished cross-stitch embroidery that my mom was working on before she died.

Of non-material things, my health.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Sairis wrote: »
    What's the first thing that comes to your mind?

For me, it's my knives. That sounds weird to people, but when I have lost knives (read: had them stolen), I've always been really bummed out. I have more than one chef's knife, so I'll never be without one, but still. It's not just the monetary value (though it certainly stings, to put it mildly), but I do get really attached to each one of them.
    And if I lost my whole kit, I'd be pretty damn screwed.

What item has special value to you and therefore would bother you to lose?

i captured both our son and daughter on video taking their first steps across a room. i also have our daughter's first few minutes of life on video. i could lose all our family photos and other material things, but that video footage i'd never want to lose.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    The first "thing" that came to mind was my husband, but that's not what we're talking about.

The next "things" that came to mind were, in order: my dog, my cat, my wedding jewelry. Everything else is replaceable.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • KurlyKaeKurlyKae Posts: 3,413Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Other than family, which really isn't a "thing," anyway: I thought of a selection of jewelry that has meaning to me:

My ering: stone from DH's grandmother
    Mom's ering stone, now in a necklace
    Paternal GM's ering
    Maternal GM's diamond necklace (perfect match to PGM's ring)
    My diamond stud earrings: grad gift from aunt and uncle

Of course, all glitter is special but the above have major sentimental value.

ALSO: pics and videos of my kids. When we have the wild fires going out here, I always start to think of where the albums are, and how I will get them into the car, should we have to evacuate.
    3a/2c
    Trader Joe's Tingle conditioner wash/ conditioner
    AG re:coil, LALooks gel, John Frieda Secret Weapon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file