When your number is up...your number is up?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,171Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Do you live more for today (when your number is up...) or do whatever you can to prolong your life?

Do you kind of throw caution to the winds and just enjoy life or are you very careful and cautious? (No fried foods, no motorcycles, etc.). I'm interested in people who are more to one side than the other, rather than those who are moderate. I can never figure out moderate - even my hair takes sides :laughing1:
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I live a pretty healthy lifestyle. I eat mostly natural/organic food and avoid a lot of junk/fastfoods. My body functions better on healthy foods and I also do it for my future health. I believe in treating your body well and living like there will always been a tomorrow.

I believe in what is done today can and will effect tomorrow.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I pay attention to what my body wants, I can't help but treat it well.

It seems like a lot of illness and disease comes from people numbing themselves —through food, alcohol, television, consumerism, too much nc.com [guilty!] — and not paying attention to their bodies' signals.

It's a cyclic thing. If I do yoga, go biking, go for a run or a walk, and that puts me more in tune with my body, which in turn causes me to eat differently, get more and better sleep, etc.

If I become a couch potato, that in turn seems to have a cyclic affect in the form of eating poorly and abusing my body in other ways.

Being in tune also means sometimes not exercising, taking it easy, taking a nap, having a gigantic slice of chocolate cake. Some people who are really into fitness goals are just as unhealthy, really, as the worst couch potato. They abuse their bodies through extreme forms of diet and exercise because they're more concerned with the ends — being ripped or whatev — than feeling good today.

It's a fine balance of living in the moment and living for tomorrow, too. You don't want to hear about moderation, but that's really what it's about, imo.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,171Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks to both! Actually, I've changed my mind. I do want to hear about moderation, because that's what I have trouble with. I swing one way, and then the other. Maybe it balances out!:laughing1:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Ok, moderation is a good balance between eating right, exercising, and enjoying your life. I do eat mostly good foods and avoid junkfoods. I consider junkfoods to be those foods that are full of artificial chemical or additives and not necessarily just things like cookies and cakes. I eat plenty of cookies, pizzas, and other stuff but they're usually from the healthfood section of the grocery store. I'm more concerned with ingredients than calories, fat, or carbs. I don't eat at fastfoods restuarants because they have very few vegetarian friendly foods besides salads and baked potatoes. Exercise for me is to strenghten my body and prolong health and not to stay a certain weight or to be a certain size. Life has to be able more than just food or exercise. Friends, family, entertaiment, books, vacations, and a lot of other things.
  • katethegreatkatethegreat Posts: 801Registered Users
    generally, i'm really into physical health and stuff, even though i'm slightly overweight. i have my moments, but for the most part i try to take good care of myself.

but in other ways, i'm trying to be more spontaneous and risk-taking...i'm trying to think of a good example. i guess maybe before i've been a big stickler for rules? and now i'm less so? if that makes any sense.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
    -Marianne Williamson
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    generally, i'm really into physical health and stuff, even though i'm slightly overweight. i have my moments, but for the most part i try to take good care of myself.

but in other ways, i'm trying to be more spontaneous and risk-taking...i'm trying to think of a good example. i guess maybe before i've been a big stickler for rules? and now i'm less so? if that makes any sense.

It does when you read your quote. Love Marianne. :D

I don't like the line to live like there's no tomorrow - it's a bit cliche. But I do live in the moment - wherever I'm supposed to be is where I am. I try to live to have no regrets.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • FlashdanceFlashdance Posts: 91Registered Users
    My 1 cent:

I typically eat healthy, quite mindful of fitness, my health & so on....
    Yet, for those of us whom may subscribe to an organic lifestyle-there's always something -whether we know or not that may be considered- "living dangerously."
    It's all up for debate...IE: getting into a car & driving like a NYer- urhh- maybe that's living in the moment-living for today(?) ...same for skydiving, riding a harley, taking a midnight stroll by choice in Newark, or getting on a freaky rollercoaster.

Each of us plays the odds every moment. Think about that.

Sh-t, there's odds in everything. You are the decider of the risks you take...Some stuff may *just happen* as well. I tend to think it's a sliding scale -depending on the person in regards to 'what is risky?'- versus 'what is -playing it safe?'

I'm determined not to miss out on living. The world already does that enough to each of us.

I think what I may be getting at it is: Sure, I love my organic this-organic that...but if I have an inkling for some delicious candy with a few artificial colors & flavors-I'm gonna to bite- (hopefully in moderation) Life's to short not to.

;) I expose myself to living. End of story. ;)
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm mostly "good," but I have binges of badness: fudge; smoking; the tiny chocolate raspberry muffins my friend made and shared with me.

(I get tired of either extreme. Sometimes I feel like my life is an effort to balance the two ethnicities I inherited: French and German.)
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I *hate* exercising. I don't even enjoy walking. So I don't exercise nearly as often as I should. I also bake and love cookies in particular, so I eat more sugar than I should.

On the other hand, I'm a generally happy person, content with my life, very happily married with amazing friends and family. I'm low maintenance and low stress. I have two sweet kitties. I go to church. I read a lot. I love music and sing when I get the chance. I'm also in good health - low blood pressure, low pulse rate, etc.

I think my generally positive outlook and my contentment go a long way to balance out my lack of physical exertion and not-perfect diet.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    i'm probably a little less than moderate in how i live. but to my credit, a lot of what i naturally enjoy doing doesn't cost a lot (if anything) and isn't considered to be daring or adventurous.

i hate regret. and i'd hate to face the realization of a preventable, untimely, and debilitating death caused by me not taking care of my body. plus, i show my gratitude for the body God gave me by taking the best care of it as i possibly can. i know my death is uncertain, however, i want to assume that we'll be living a long time, and i want to be around for my husband and children. and while i know that some people can live to their 90s after a life of smoking, drinking, eating trans fats, and laying on the couch all day, my common sense says that those people are not the norm and that i should aspire to choose the healthier route.

i want to live with little financial struggle, if i can help it. so i save for now and for our future. i am thankful to God for me always having steady income. so i show my appreciation by making sure i am a good steward of my finances, which includes being unconditionally charitable to others. i don't deprive myself of fun stuff, even if it's something seemingly small, but never at the expense of not being able to meet my basic needs first. i respect that in our world, money has importance, but money isn't the driving force in my life.

i want to be able to give our children the gift of a college education because i know how critical a formal education is for most people to secure at least a moderately comfortable life. so i contribute to their college funds. i don't want them to struggle if they don't have to. and i aspire to give them a special monetary gift when they officially break away from our home to start their independent lives. we can't take it with us and this gesture would be my acknowledgement of that.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • katethegreatkatethegreat Posts: 801Registered Users
    Flashdance wrote: »
    My 1 cent:

I typically eat healthy, quite mindful of fitness, my health & so on....
    Yet, for those of us whom may subscribe to an organic lifestyle-there's always something -whether we know or not that may be considered- "living dangerously."
    It's all up for debate...IE: getting into a car & driving like a NYer- urhh- maybe that's living in the moment-living for today(?) ...same for skydiving, riding a harley, taking a midnight stroll by choice in Newark, or getting on a freaky rollercoaster.

Each of us plays the odds every moment. Think about that.

Sh-t, there's odds in everything. You are the decider of the risks you take...Some stuff may *just happen* as well. I tend to think it's a sliding scale -depending on the person in regards to 'what is risky?'- versus 'what is -playing it safe?'

I'm determined not to miss out on living. The world already does that enough to each of us.

I think what I may be getting at it is: Sure, I love my organic this-organic that...but if I have an inkling for some delicious candy with a few artificial colors & flavors-I'm gonna to bite- (hopefully in moderation) Life's to short not to.

;) I expose myself to living. End of story. ;)

yes! this. this is what i meant.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
    -Marianne Williamson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file