Did anyone else get matting during their transition?

lilshama86lilshama86 Posts: 18Registered Users
So I washed my hair this morning and realized that there are 3-4 matted pieces in my hair. It's not severe but I can't really get it out with a comb or brush and I've tried using a bunch of oil and conditioner. Its mostly where my natural hair and relaxed hair meets. I've been transitioning since Aug so I have a few inches to work with but I wanted to hold out a little longer. I live in Southwest VA so there isn't a black salon within 100 miles. Do you all think I should end my transition or try to salvage my hair. I'm afraid that the matting will only get worse if I continue.

FYI
I am a 4a with thin hair
I have a Sally's, Walmart, and a Target near for supplies

Any suggestions are more than welcome

Comments

• kejournerkejourner Posts: 180Registered Users
    yeah I had some serious matting. i can't remember if it was after taking down braids or not, but i do remember not being able to detangle the mess. i think i ended up combing out a lot of my hair. to prevent this from happening again, I started plaiting my hair in 4 sections before washing.
    last perm 4/07, BC 3/08, currently trying to grow out hair.

Check out my fotki www.fotki.com/kejourner
    no password required
  • lilshama86lilshama86 Posts: 18Registered Users
    Thanks! I'll try that!
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my hair matted up for the first 10 months of my transition even when I dried my hair in braided/twisted/banded sections. I know what your going through and it sucks! I remember cutting out huge chunks of my hair because the knots were so bad. The only thing I can suggest is to wear your hair in stretched styles as long as you can. That was my mistake with transitioning, I wore my hair lose so I ended up with knots every single time I washed and conditioned my hair.
    flexi rods, curlformers, rollers, and/or bantu knots are good styles you can do that doesn't require heat. If your comfortable with your length than bc but if not those styles should give you a break from all the knotting.
    Happy hair growing:afro:
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • DiscoveringMeAgainDiscoveringMeAgain Posts: 126Registered Users
    Yes ladies,

I too experienced some matting. That was the primary motivation for my home-made BC just moments ago. I tried everything, including globs of conditioner...., lol.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • lilshama86lilshama86 Posts: 18Registered Users
    Thanks for the help! I'm about to BC tomorrow.... I can't stand the thought of losing hair because of matting.... I'll be all :afro: tomorrow though!
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lilshama86 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help! I'm about to BC tomorrow.... I can't stand the thought of losing hair because of matting.... I'll be all :afro: tomorrow though!

good luck
    have fun
    post pics...
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji