Deva or Jessicurl?

KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
I am new to CG... just started it this weekend. Since I now can't use most of my styling products because they have a lot of cones, I'm looking to buy some CG friendly ones. I'm currently using Humecress to wash my hair, and a mix of Humecress and honey to condition. Then, I use a little bit of CK, Herbal Essences Humidity Defying Gel, and a bit of Paul Mitchell styling foam. I know the Styling foam has some cones in it, but they're pretty far down on the ingredients list, and using only gel makes my hair WAAAY crunchy. The curls have been turning out ok, not as well as they were when I was using more cone products, and I'm having a bit of a frizz problem. I want to invest in some good products that will work with CG/modified CG, and I was wondering if you guys would recommend Devacurl or Jessicurl stuff. I know a lot of people rave about OneC and Set it Free. Is Jessi's Awe Inspiring Spray similar to Set it Free? I also heard [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Confident Coils[/buylink] is good for clumping, which I could use. My hair is super fine and the curl falls out pretty easily. I'm hoping CG will help with that. In the meantime, I would appreciate any recommendations. DevaCurl or Jessicurl, and which products? (I will only get one brand or the other, can't afford to pay shipping fees for both.)
*Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    DevaCurl works better for me. I use No Poo, OneC, Angell, and Set it Free. Jessicurl proucts just didn't work as well for my hair. [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Too-Shea-Extra-Moisturizing-Conditioner-p-105.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-too-shea-extra-moisturizing-conditioner]Too Shea[/buylink] is really good- however it doesn't detangle as well as OneC, and I wound up using the 8 oz container in less than a week. I also tried [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Confident Coils[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Rockin-Ringlets-Styling-Potion-p-100.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-rockin-ringlets]Rockin' Ringlets[/buylink]... I was quite inspired by another poster who was having great results with them, but sadly my hair did not like them at all! They really didn't help me with definition, and left my hair feeling very producty.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
    One other thing- keep an eye on the swap board. You might be able to try out both lines if you can find someone selling the items for the right price!
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG

fotki pw= crrrls
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the response. After sifting through these boards, I decided on Devacurl to start. It seems like Jessicurl works great for some and not at all for others, but I've yet to see someone say they hate Devacurl. I ordered OneC, Angell and Set it Free. I can't wait to try them (supposed to get them Thursday).

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Registered Users Posts: 2,159
    Good luck with your Devacurl!! I love Devacurl -- I have tried the products you ordered and I don't think you will go wrong with what you ordered -- I am 3b also...I am trying to determine if my hair is fine also...not sure.
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • betweenshadesbetweenshades Registered Users Posts: 130
    I don't hate Deva, but I definaltly get better results with Jessicurl. Deva is too heavy and builds up on me. I've never had a problem with Jessicurl and I haven't really wanted to try new products for a month, now. :)
    Sarah - 3B/C, CG since 11/25/05

DevaCurl and Jessicurl rock my hair care world.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • ldscurly-qldscurly-q Registered Users Posts: 40
    I have never tried Jessicurl before and I just ordered RR. I really hope I like it...I also really hope it comes quick because I am ridiculously impatient! :P
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shampoo twice per week with Bumble and Bumble Gentle Shampoo, followed by Rich Conditioner, Leave In (or rinse out) Conditioner and Prep spray. Bb Curl Conscious Creme (thick hair) and Tri Styling Gel.
    I like RR- it's a good product! It's light hold and non-crunchy. If you do end up with some crunch, it scrunches out. I've used it on it's own, but in the summer I've been pairing it with CC.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • ldscurly-qldscurly-q Registered Users Posts: 40
    That's what I was wondering, if I should pair it w/ something. I'm currently using Tresemme Curl Care gel. I wonder if I can get by using the RR on its own.
    3A/3B, Botticelli, fine
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Shampoo twice per week with Bumble and Bumble Gentle Shampoo, followed by Rich Conditioner, Leave In (or rinse out) Conditioner and Prep spray. Bb Curl Conscious Creme (thick hair) and Tri Styling Gel.
    I guess it depends on how thick your hair is. But, the only way to find out is to try it!

I was actually pondering buying a bottle of "set it free" to put over top.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • CopperWavesCopperWaves Registered Users Posts: 83
    Bailey422 wrote:
    Thanks for the response. After sifting through these boards, I decided on Devacurl to start. It seems like Jessicurl works great for some and not at all for others, but I've yet to see someone say they hate Devacurl. I ordered OneC, Angell and Set it Free. I can't wait to try them (supposed to get them Thursday).

How do you like your Devacurl products? I've used Jessicurl and have just ordered Deva....supposed to be here Monday!
    My hair is not the boss of me!!!!
  • crazycurlyheadcrazycurlyhead Registered Users Posts: 113
    ok. so i'm trying to find cone-free products and for us newbies it is kind of difficult to find products specially when you guys keep using abreviations, can u please tell me what BRHG and CK are and where did u buy them?? thanx. ur responses will be greatly appreciated
    Very modified CG. Activate and B2B pomegranate Condish. Re:coil, Joiwhip, LOOB, HE set me up and orange bottle. Boots, cant' remember anymore.
    In a place where dry and burned straight hair is so common my wild spanish curls are my greatest weapon!
  • KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    Bailey422 wrote:

How do you like your Devacurl products? I've used Jessicurl and have just ordered Deva....supposed to be here Monday!

I'm so sorry! I completely missed your question somehow. Anyway, I got OneC, Angell, and SIF. I have to say my favorite is the OneC. It's very moisturizing. I leave quite a bit in my hair and it doesn't seem to weigh it down. I also love SIF, but I learned the hard way that you can't use too much. I like to use it when I scrunch the crunch out of my hair when dry. I use just a few spritzes in my wet hands. I feel like it keeps the curls from losing their definition when I scrunch. Does that make sense? It kind of keeps them "stuck" together, even though it's not really sticky or have much hold. The verdict is still out of Angell. I love how natural and soft the hold is. Once I scrunch it out, you can't even tell I have product in my hair (in a good way). I've also sprayed a little bit of SIF into Angell with decent results. Unfortunately, we're had temperatures in the high 90's and 80% humidity here, and Angell hasn't been holding up to the weather. I haven't been using it much, but I'm definitely keeping it to try again in the winter.

• lizzzardlizzzard Registered Users Posts: 10
    ok. so i'm trying to find cone-free products and for us newbies it is kind of difficult to find products specially when you guys keep using abreviations, can u please tell me what BRHG and CK are and where did u buy them?? thanx. ur responses will be greatly appreciated

BRHG is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee.
    CK is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] you can buy online from CurlMart or from http://frizzoff.com

I have found BRHG harder to find. I lot of salons here in Vancouver carry Biosilk products but not the Rock Hard Gelee. I'm not sure if it's easier to find in the US.
  • LadydncingLadydncing Registered Users Posts: 964
    I love and use both. If I had to choose, it would be Devacurl.
    Maya
    3b/c CG routine
    HG line DevaCurl
    Password: Locks

event.png
    lizzzard wrote:

BRHG is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee.
    CK is [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]

[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] you can buy online from CurlMart or from http://frizzoff.com

I have found BRHG harder to find. I lot of salons here in Vancouver carry Biosilk products but not the Rock Hard Gelee. I'm not sure if it's easier to find in the US.

BRHG is easy to find in the US- just about every drug store carries it.
    Brooklyn, NY

HG products:

fotki pw= crrrls
  • tooj68tooj68 Registered Users Posts: 471
    Because BOTH the Deva and Jessicurl lines are excellent, I switch off.
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • straightisforsuckersstraightisforsuckers Registered Users Posts: 5
    After months of trying every combo possible, I finally stumbled upon this little routine

1) "Wash" with Deva's No Poo
    2) Blot with t-shirt
    3) Use a dime size drop of Aveda's Be Curly Leave in Condish
    4) Scrunch in some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gelebration-Spray-p-101.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gelebration-spray]Jessicurl Gelebration Spray[/buylink]
    5) Air dry (or cold diffuse)

I can't figure out how to post a pic, but my curly hair has never looked better :)
  • KristaRoseKristaRose Registered Users Posts: 546
    A couple of questions about Deva:

1) I had used the Low-Poo a couple of times but the smell was soooooooooo strong and unappealing. Do all the Deva products smell like Low-Poo?

2) Somebody in this thread mentioned that Deva builds up. As I still consider myself to be a newbie, could someone explain this? I find that to be a confusing statement. What could build up?

To keep with this thread, the only Deva product I used was the Low-Poo and strictly b/c of that, I'd have to pick Jessicurl. But I think Jessicurl built up on me, though that stumps me, too.

PS - BRHG is practically impossible to find in my neck of the woods. :(
    3B
    Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.
  • mayramayra Registered Users Posts: 13
    Are the products of any of these brands protein free?

I have such a hard time finding protein free products.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file