Oh good grief!

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
There is a difference between detergent and dish soap, isn't there?

Someone tell my husband please. I don't know how much more specific I could have been with the grocery list.

Now I have 3 years worth of dish soap from Costco and nothing to do the laundry with! :angry2:

Comments

• TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote: »

Someone tell my husband please. I don't know how much more specific I could have been with the grocery list.

Now I have 3 years worth of dish soap from Costco and nothing to do the laundry with! :angry2:

well.... Detergent can be dish or laundry
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    :laughing6: Sorry medussa, but it is kind of funny.
    Trenell, yeah, but I can't think of ever having used the word detergent to refer to dish soap. Detergent pretty much means laundry.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When you say "detergent" I immediately think of dishwashing detergent. Not liquid soap, but the powder or tablets you throw in the dishwasher.

Maybe you should've tacked a "laundry" in front of detergent??? That does suck though. The bright side is, you won't have to buy dish soap for a long while...
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing2:
    Looks like he needs to help out more w/ the laundry...
    I'll ask hubby when he comes back in...
    he's mowing at the moment....so hotttt

:sunny:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    ###
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Technically, the liquid stuff used for handwashing dishes is actually detergent, not soap (most of the time anyway...there are a few that are true soaps, but not many). I always call it dish detergent. I differentiate the stuff that goes in the dishwasher by calling that dishwasher detergent. Laundry detergent is yet another type of detergent and needs the word laundry in front of it to avoid confusion. They're all detergents, and your hubby wasn't totally wrong.

But...I do sympathize. My husband can't go shopping without coming home with everything wrong...wrong brands, wrong size, etc...and he usually buys a $50 cake to really piss me off (he doesn't look at prices along with not looking at brands).

I do most of the shopping.
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Trenell wrote: »

well.... Detergent can be dish or laundry

Come on, don't side with him, Trenell! I took your side during the red velvet cake debacle of 2008!!!

Look, you think the labels might have clued him in that he was buying the wrong dang thing?

2yx0lme.jpg
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    Medussa, call me stupid, but how are those different, aside from the labels? Dish liquid? Dish soap? To me, BOTH of those are for use in hand washing dishes.

The stuff that goes in the laundry is laundry detergent, the stuff that goes in the dishwasher is dishwasher soap, and the stuff that you use to hand wash dishes is either dish liquid or dish soap.

ETA: And how long have you guys been married and you haven't realized YOU HAVE TO BE SPECIFIC with the menfolk. ;) Spell it out or you'll get the wrong thing - they don't think like we do.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I think she posted the pics to point out that neither one says detergent, so that should have been a clue that it is not what she meant.
    I'm still sticking up for you here, medussa. Detergent means laundry. It's dishwashing liquid or soap.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
    The thing is most come in both types...liquid & powder...
    If it makes you feel any better, when I asked hubby what is the first thing you think of when someone says detergent, he said for the laundry... :thumbup:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I always call dish liquid "soap" and laundry stuff "detergent". Then again, I make my list super specific for DH, including full brand names and bottle colors...LOL I guess I'm very particular.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »
    Medussa, call me stupid, but how are those different, aside from the labels? Dish liquid? Dish soap? To me, BOTH of those are for use in hand washing dishes.

That's my point, chica. None of those say "detergent."

I'm annoyed because, as you can see, we're not even close to being done with the first container of dishwashing liquid. And you know hubby isn't going to drive all the way back to return the second container.
    If it makes you feel any better, when I asked hubby what is the first thing you think of when someone says detergent, he said for the laundry... :thumbup:

I just asked mine and he said "dishwasher". So, Medussa would have gotten a box of Cascade if he had gone shopping for her...and she still wouldn't have been able to do the laundry.
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    I always call dish liquid "soap" and laundry stuff "detergent". Then again, I make my list super specific for DH, including full brand names and bottle colors...LOL I guess I'm very particular.

Right there with you. And it isn't that I'm super particular; I just don't want to have to make a trip back to the store. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I just asked mine and he said "dishwasher". So, Medussa would have gotten a box of Cascade if he had gone shopping for her...and she still wouldn't have been able to do the laundry.
    :laughing2:
    He knows we don't use the d/w much & most of the stuff for it goes towards cleaning the jacuzzi tub...that is powder, while the stuff for the laundry is liquid :dontknow:
    0004.gif

• MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I call the stuff you use to hand wash dishes dish soap, the stuff that goes in the dishwasher dish detergent, and the stuff for the laundry laundry soap or detergent. My husband does as much of the dishes and laundry as I do so he usually know what we need more of.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
    medussa,

Do you use Kirkland laundry detergent/soap? Is it supposed to compare to a high end brand, like their dishwasher detergent/soap does for Cascade? And what does the liquid dish detergent/soap compare to?
    He knows we don't use the d/w much & most of the stuff for it goes towards cleaning the jacuzzi tub...that is powder, while the stuff for the laundry is liquid :dontknow:

Elaborate. You use Cascade to clean the jacuzzi? I may have to try that.
  • sassysuzannesassysuzanne Posts: 501Registered Users
    well, at least you got something :sad3:......my husband would have got confused and walked away, not bringing anything home!
    Suzanne

3b/fine/porous/dry/still trying to figure out density...:confused:

###
    Let's just say that, based on the information in the original post, I understand his confusion.

Sorry. :( If I had been him, I would have called for clarification! :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I send pictures of empty containers via text to him when he goes shopping :)
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    I do 90 percent of the shopping, but if I want my husband to get something specifically for me, I write down brand name and any subtitles to it so he doesn't get confused. Menfolk do get confused easily, they really do.
    I was so proud of my husband. I wrote down Garnier Fructis anti-humidity hairspray, and guess what I got? I actually got what I asked for. I originally wrote down GF hairspray, because I thought I was going to go grocery shopping...but then I thought, my husband has some extra-time, he might go do it, so I rewrote it being more specific...I was right, and I was happy!!!
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • alisons79alisons79 Posts: 680Registered Users
    I say we do an experiment!! Everyone send your husbands out to get "detergent" and then post the pictures here for medussa!

That way, she can see what everyone else's husband would have come back with for her if they had done the shopping....

:) Just kiddin', just a funny thought....
    3A/3B
    I love Jessicurl HCC, Jessicurl Too Shea, KCKT, KCCC, CK and HESMU...but it took a LOT of trial error to get to these products that consistently work for ME.
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Detergent is for clothes. Dish soap is for dishes. Dishwasher detergent is Cascade. Who doesn't know this? :)

To be safe, always refer to these things by brand name. For example, "Honey, we're out of Joy. Honey, can you pick up some Cascade. Dear, we need Tide."

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Detergent is the cleansing agent that is in soap, shampoo, dish soap, and laundry soap. I just write dish soap or laundry soap and the brand name if my husband is going grocery shopping.
  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh this never would have happened to me because, this would have happened instead:

Husband: Hi, it's me, I'm at costco, your list said detergent, did you mean, laundry, dish, industrial, delicate clothing, pool cleaner, etc.

Me: Laundry

Husband: Hi, it's me, do you know what section of Costco the laundry detergent is in?

Me: Left front corner

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what kind of laundry detergent do we use?

Me: All Free & Clear

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what scent do we get?

Me: It's unscented, that's why it's free and clear

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what size should I get?

Me: Do they have multiple sizes?

Husband: Oh, I guess not.

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what else did we need, I lost the list?

Me: :sad3:
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
    Hee!

My husband is the shopper in our family because he is so picky about meat. Me, I could go the rest of my life and not eat anything but white meat chicken. :D So when I'm at the grocery and I have to buy meat, I always call him, and yes, sometimes multiple times!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    rileyb wrote: »
    Oh this never would have happened to me because, this would have happened instead:

Husband: Hi, it's me, I'm at costco, your list said detergent, did you mean, laundry, dish, industrial, delicate clothing, pool cleaner, etc.

Me: Laundry

Husband: Hi, it's me, do you know what section of Costco the laundry detergent is in?

Me: Left front corner

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what kind of laundry detergent do we use?

Me: All Free & Clear

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what scent do we get?

Me: It's unscented, that's why it's free and clear

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what size should I get?

Me: Do they have multiple sizes?

Husband: Oh, I guess not.

Husband: Hi, it's me again, what else did we need, I lost the list?

Me: :sad3:
    first.gif

RCW...
    ~Fill up the tub w/ hotttt water.
    ~Dump your choice amount of detergent in.
    ~Run jets for at least 30 min.
    ~Drain.
    ~Fill up tub w/ cold water.
    ~Run jets for at least 30 min.
    ~Drain.
    ~Clean grit, if needed.
    ~Admire smashing sparkling tub :glasses1:
    ~Repeat every 6 mos.
    0004.gif

• YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    Not siding with him, but I agree you should have clarified. When writing my list, I always write "dish"soap, and "laundry"detergent.

Hell, even if I only wrote soap and detergent there would be no confusion since I have to go do my own dang shopping. :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file