Rollsetting and Regimen

mergemerge Posts: 100Registered Users
What your regimen when you rollset your hair? Do you cowash? How long does your style last?
http://www.deeplyenrichedoils.com

"Show me Some Love Check Out My Website"
"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens."

Hair Type: 4a
Products: Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Jamaican Black Castor Oil ,Grape seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and may more.

Comments

• AeddyAeddy Posts: 94Registered Users
    I'm also interested in this. I've only got about 5-7 inches though. I think MariaG does a lot of rollersetting though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBfLHkwEcCM&feature=channel_page

and

a rollerset on 4a/b hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366077
    The poster formerly known as Soude.
  • anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users
    i'm trying to relearn how to rollerset my hair with flexirods. i used to do a mean perm rod set when my hair was shorter. i shampooed back then, and i do recommend you clarify because you want your hair clean. i also deep conditioned since it's a lot of manipulation and heat.

then i set the hair using end paper and diluted setting lotion. the style lasts depending on a variety of factors:

1) how strong of a hold you want,
    2) if you don't mind a little character fuzz
    3) if you want restyle (i.e., go from loose to maybe a pinned up style).

all these can prolong a set. mine lasted a week because i had a strong hold and it softened and fuzzed over the week. it also looks better over time because the curls drop.

maria's video is a good rollersetting video. oh, and the other thing...what is the purpose of your rollerset? do you want curls or do you want a bouncy, straight style? because that will determine what size rollers you will want to use.
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
  • hypnotichypnotic Posts: 613Registered Users
    if i get over this cold i plan to rollerset tomorrow. i think i am going to use my giovanni direct leave in, since the only other options are [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]kc knot today[/buylink] and the jane carter leavein. and i am not going back to the bss.

but i am going to try the pony tail method from manenchic.com my roots are way thick i dont think big rollers alone will work as well i have issues getting my hair taut
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50, Nexxus Aloe Rid
    Detangling Conditioner: Oyin Honey Hemp, EO Sweet Orange
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Suave Naturals Sea Breeze, V05 Tea Therapy, Oyin Honey Hemp
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just did a roller set. I washed and then used my most slippery conditioner. I have a few but I used Terax Crema this time. For a leave-in I used It's a Curl's Ring around the Curlies leave-in (Curls baby line). Leaves my hair seaweed-y.

For styling I put on some Mop C Staightening cream. When I think about it it is somewhat similar to Hairveda Whippped Cream. Lots of castor oil & beeswax but it does contain silicones. With this humidity though I need some kind of anti-humectant. It did a good job.

I put Gel-les'c on each strand to set. I like how it came out. It lasted a week. Could have lasted longer but my ends were drying out.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    Wow the ponytaily method (16 total in my hair) really didn't work for me. I could barely fit under my dryer so the back wasn't dry after two hours. Yes two hours. When I took down a roller, the first half was tighthly waved the second half was straight. So when I removed the ponytail holders my hair was really thick at the roots STILL. I attempted to wrap it, but I couldn't even get a comb through my hair. So I gave up and blow dried on medium heat. My hair was huge, not like an afro more like a Rudy Huxtable with straigther ends. I braided it and went to bed.

What went wrong...
    1. Too Much Oil.
    I did an oil rinse I added coconut oil to my Giovanni leave in and I put Qhemet Burdock Root Butter on the ends when I rolled each section. Granted the butter actually made my ends straight. So I think I will keep this step.

2. Not Enough Tension.
    I can only imagine that my roots were not straight because I the rollers were not tight enough.

3. Big Rollers.
    I used the 2" for each pony I separated some into two rollers. However. I was running out of room to pin them to my head. I think a smaller roller would give me more space to play with, and also hold the hair in place better. (more money to spend)

This was my first time doing a roller set ever, so I guess I shouldn't expect miracles. I know my roots are the bane of my existence. When I took the briads down it was really cute, of course it's now a big huge bush.

The plus sides I haven't used heat since December and probably won't till the end of the year. I was sorta sad I had to use the blowdryer, but my hair was two different textures. It was that or a flat iron. However I did get to see my hair stretched. It has grown and the ends look really healthy. I am happy and will continue doing what I am doing. My next roller set wont' be till the fall.
    Cowash Conditioner:
    Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Spa Siam Coconut Hair Mask, Yes to Carrots Mud Mask
    Leave-in Conditioner: Afroveda NU Milk Hair Conditioner, CJ Hibiscus & Banana Honey Butta Leave-in, Knot Today
    Stylers: SheaMoisture, JC Nourish and Shine, Burdock Root Butter Cream, Afroveda CocoLatte Moisture Mask
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i like my hair in roller sets but the first sign of sweat and it's GONE, lol! i use medium to small rollers because i like rollersetting for a smoother curl, not for "straightening" my hair. i use only a creamy leave in conditioner, no gel or setting lotion (i don't want crunchy or flaky hair). i use oil by massaging it into my scalp w/ my fingertips. once i set my hair if i keep re-setting it it's a lot quicker on subsequent sets.

here are my rollersetting pics => roller set pics and actually i use one size smaller rollers than in these pics because it makes my curls tighter but again i literally have to plan my roller sets around my heavy cardio because after my cycling class i have a huge poof!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aeddy wrote: »
    I'm also interested in this. I've only got about 5-7 inches though. I think MariaG does a lot of rollersetting though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBfLHkwEcCM&feature=channel_page

and

a rollerset on 4a/b hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=366077

Thanks! You beat me to it! LOL

I have been rollersetting for years and I am thinking of doing my own personal challenge for the summer. Hopefully it'll work, but I want to rollerset and bun the entire time and see if it helps me retain more length. I find that my wash n go's are harder to deal with because I have too much hair. Its very thick. Anyway I'm rambling LOL If you need anymore help Merge please let us know.

luvmylocs, I don't use setting lotion either. Just a leave-in conditioner and maybe some grapeseed oil if that. I only use magnetic rollers though (habit).
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

mariag002 wrote: »
    I have been rollersetting for years and I am thinking of doing my own personal challenge for the summer. Hopefully it'll work, but I want to rollerset and bun the entire time and see if it helps me retain more length. I find that my wash n go's are harder to deal with because I have too much hair. Its very thick.

hmm....that's something to consider. i just finished reading grow it by chicoro and i realize i need to spend more time loving on my hair. i might consider this.
  • mergemerge Posts: 100Registered Users
    I did my first rollerset and they came out bad.

How many roller do you guys use?

Do you use a fine tooth comb to smooth the hair? I used it but was afraid of breakage so I tried. I did get breakage.

How many roller do you use? I used 48. My hair is 4-5 inches so I may buy more so my hair can curl up more.
    http://www.deeplyenrichedoils.com

"Show me Some Love Check Out My Website"
    "Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens."

Hair Type: 4a
    Products: Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Jamaican Black Castor Oil ,Grape seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and may more.
  • GradlyGradly Posts: 64Registered Users
    I am going to have to try this. I am fearful of the results though. :sad11:
    Recently combed out locs...relearning my hair.

***Looking for wedding hair styles***

:blob7: Wedding Celebration Date: 7/4/09 :blob7:
    :happy10: Legally Married in California: 8/22/08 :happy10:
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    merge wrote: »

Do you use a fine tooth comb to smooth the hair? I used it but was afraid of breakage so I tried. I did get breakage.

How many roller do you use? I used 48. My hair is 4-5 inches so I may buy more so my hair can curl up more.

I alternated between wide and fine and used 12 big rollers. I used the fine on my ends when I felt like it needed it. I used a really slippery conditioner to help make it easier.

I wouldn't use a fine comb though if my hair was fragile.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    i use a LOT of rollers. i use a wide tooth comb. i think sitting under a dryer of some kind makes a difference vs. air drying.
    merge wrote: »

I don't know how many rollers I use. Maybe 40, I'll have to count next time.
    I only use the fine tooth comb to part the hair and if I have to detangle I use the denman, then I use the fine tooth comb again to smooth out my hair. The hair has to go on the roller nice and smooth or else it will dry kinda frizzy. Or at least that's the case for me.

Gradly wrote: »
    I am going to have to try this. I am fearful of the results though. :sad11:

Fearful as in what way? If you're scared of heat damage try air drying and brushing your hair back in a ponytail. That's what I do sometimes.
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i use a LOT of rollers. i use a wide tooth comb. i think sitting under a dryer of some kind makes a difference vs. air drying.

Sometimes it does, especially if I don't put the roller tight enough and it frizzes up. Sometimes I will go under the dryer and put it on low, get out when its almost dry and just let the rest of my hair air dry. It takes up alot of time though.
    - Maria

• GradlyGradly Posts: 64Registered Users
    I'm more so afraid that it will look a mess.
    Recently combed out locs...relearning my hair.

***Looking for wedding hair styles***

:blob7: Wedding Celebration Date: 7/4/09 :blob7:
    :happy10: Legally Married in California: 8/22/08 :happy10:
    So I guess I am too much of a perfectionist. I wanted my hair to be consistently straight and it wasn't. Hence the blow drying.

I guess practice makes perfect?

I used 20 grey 2" rollers and maybe 4 beige 1"

And I like I said, I ran out of room to pin them to my scalp.
    Cowash Conditioner:
  • frogirlfrogirl Posts: 93Registered Users
    For those who do roller sets, how long do they normally last? OR what kind of products do you use to make them last for a week or more?

I'm aiming for a curly look... I have perm rods and medium sized flexirods... I have fine hair as well.... Don't care if they get frizzy...
    frogirl wrote: »
    For those who do roller sets, how long do they normally last? OR what kind of products do you use to make them last for a week or more?

I'm aiming for a curly look... I have perm rods and medium sized flexirods... I have fine hair as well.... Don't care if they get frizzy...

Others might have a different answer, but with me it can last up to 7 days. After the 7th day I need to wash my scalp because I just feel yucky LOL

With my hair the amount of days it lasts depends on how well I take care of my hair at night. If I leave it in a pineapple (high ponytail), do a doobie, or pin curl it I can preserve the particular style I'm trying to achieve. If I apply either jojoba oil, sheabutter or avocado butter to my hair at night my hair will look nice longer.

I've never done perm rods, I'd love to try though.
    - Maria

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file