texturizing hair???

canadiangrlcanadiangrl Registered Users Posts: 5
I've been looking for haircut ideas and I've come across some haircuts being described as having done texturizing with thinning shears, what is this exactly? Good idea or not?

Comments

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    Texturizing is thinning done with shears that have blades that look like combs, so they cut only part of the hair.

IMO this is a bad idea in general, it works OK on very short (men or pixie) haircuts because the difference between the shorter and longer hairs isn't that much. But for most people, it makes it look like they have split ends and frizz more than anything else. I'm not sure why they call it 'texturizing'?

Why do you want to thin your hair?

If you do want less, it seems better to find a stylist who knows how to do the curl-by-curl thing.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • HillSongHillSong Registered Users Posts: 27
    I get this done every 2nd or 3rd cut. However, my stylist only does a minimal amount because she knows curly hair can become frizz crazy if this is done too much. My hair just touches the bottom of my neck, is 3a and is layered. So you can get it done but I suggest you tell the stylist just to do a little here and there but to not overdo it. HTH
    Hair Type: 3 a
    Wash: switch between Schwarzkopf smooth poo & condish and Aveda rosemary & mint poo & condish
    Deep Condish: Pantene moisture replenishing mask
    Products: Schwarzkopf natural mousse, Aveda be curly curl control, Miss Jessie's Quick Curls, Dove unscented hairspray
    2nd day: aveda be curly curl control
    *Curly girls keep on embracing what God gave you:love5:

event.png
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Registered Users Posts: 4,049
    It depends on a lot of factors (texture, thickness, curliness) but most curlies will tell you to steer clear of the thinning shears.

For my hair, they're evil. They make me frizzy, poufy and because I only have medium-low density hair, they leave me with weird patches that are almost like holes.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • loewinloewin Registered Users Posts: 246
    My last cut, my stylist mentioned that he put some texture in my hair at the top. He didn't use thinning shears to do it however.... but I still think it was a bad idea because my frizz seemed to be worse after the cut than it was before. He never did that before I don't understand why he did, I didn't ask for it.
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    http://curlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com/
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    http://curlyhair.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

http://curltalk.net:8080/web/guest/wiki;jsessionid=56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
  • etripolietripoli Registered Users Posts: 119
    I can only speak from personal experience as I am no expert, but I've had many hairstyles throughout the years.

When my hair was halfway down my back and not texturized (just long layers), my curls were definitely 3b and very smooth. The difficult part about this sort of cut is (at least for me) when it is shorter (just below shoulders) it is very easy to get the 'rooftop', 'mushroom', etc (where your hair is at an unsightly angle away from your face). This is especially true if you don't have a really good cut.

When my hair has been short (as it is now), I've had it very heavily texturized. Generally speaking, I think my hair is a good candidate for it (I don't get tons of frizz), but it dramatically changes my look. My curls tend to become more wavelike (2a-2c), and the ends can tend to look far less smooth but much more wispy (since there are an endless number of lengths). In my current avatar, I haven't had any texturizing in about six months to give you an idea.

I think it is really a matter of choice, but as someone who has been there and back, I'm going to stay away from texturizing from now on.
    CG Since 5/23/09
    3a - High Porosity / Coarse Texture on Crown, Medium Texture Beneath
    CO Wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Cond.
    Condition: Salon Care Honey Almond Cond.
    Gel: Biotera gel
    DT: Honey, conditioner, EVOO(1x/wk)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file