traveling with a cat....

frxncrlsfrxncrls Posts: 252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I am doing a road trip with my cat....

Any advice would be appreciated.

We have a homeopathic travel remedy but I am not sure how much that will relax him....

Anything over-the-counter recommended?? (I know dog friends who have given people cold medicine but I think that's not the same).

I just want him to be comfy and relaxed....

TIA!
in humidity hell south Florida or high and dry Colorado
CG since 2005
2a, 2b, 3b - fine hair, low density - low/normal porosity
washing: cj curl assurance gentle cleansing, cj daily fix, as i am coconut cowash
conditioning: cj smoothing, cj strengthening, giovanni 50/50 balance, darcy's pumpkin seed, kinky curly knot today
styling: homemade fsg, kinky curly curling custard, cj pattern pusha
pt: cj curl fix, cj repair me
avoid: humectants, polyquats

Comments

• merynmeryn Posts: 1,807Registered Users Curl Novice
    Feliway.

I traveled with 4 cats over a five month period in a camper. We drove from Alaska to Tucson, then flew them to Hawaii. I sprayed the entire camper with Feliway. I'm not sure if it was the pheremones, but all 4 were perfectly happy. No howling, meowing, they all used the litter box, ate normally, etc.

Kitties are GREAT travelers.
  • BinechaBinecha Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For your cat and to make his trip easier, maybe you can take some of his favorites games, his favorite blanket, feed him with the same food, take his litter box if possible... And don't forget to talk with your vet, they usually have great advices.

I'm getting ready for a really long trip with my little precious.
    I'm going back to France in one month and it's a 12 hours trip. I was kind of scared (ok I was freaking out) so I asked my vet some advices. My cat is pretty calm and she loves her carrier so just a pheremone spray will be ok.
    I like the idea of the spray because I don't know if I will be allowed to give her water during the flight so I won't be able to use a liquid product.
    Moreover I'm afraid of medications, I don't want to give her a pill cause I heard some horribles stories about pets that never wake up. But a lot of pets are travelling without problems so it should be ok for both of us.

Enjoy your trip!!!
    event.png

French curly misses Canada so much ...Let's see if I can find some great products in France... So far:
    Co-wash: Sandy detangling balm (so cheap but sooooo great)
    Rinse out: Syoss Après shampoing cheveux secs et abimés
    Leave-in: S-curl activator, ysiance crème de soin sans rinçage
    Styling: AVG
    Want to try: ecostyler,long aid activator gel, butters...
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've moved cross country (3,000 miles) with a cat (and a dog and a baby and older kids). TWICE! I kept the cat confined in a large crate while on the road, with a small litterbox inside. He traveled very well...although when he would poop, we would stop immediately after and clean the box out, because it stunk to high heaven inside a car. He had a lick-type waterbottle inside the crate, but we didn't feed him til we had stopped at a hotel for the night each day, because he tended toward carsickness.

He meowed a lot the first day of each trip, but was fine after that and settled into his new home each time without problems. Cats are very adaptable.
  • cyndicyndi Posts: 3,341Registered Users
    Binecha wrote: »
    For your cat and to make his trip easier, maybe you can take some of his favorites games, his favorite blanket, feed him with the same food, take his litter box if possible... And don't forget to talk with your vet, they usually have great advices.

I'm getting ready for a really long trip with my little precious.
    I'm going back to France in one month and it's a 12 hours trip. I was kind of scared (ok I was freaking out) so I asked my vet some advices. My cat is pretty calm and she loves her carrier so just a pheremone spray will be ok.
    I like the idea of the spray because I don't know if I will be allowed to give her water during the flight so I won't be able to use a liquid product.
    Moreover I'm afraid of medications, I don't want to give her a pill cause I heard some horribles stories about pets that never wake up. But a lot of pets are travelling without problems so it should be ok for both of us.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Water can be hard on a plane, but I give my dog ice chips.
    I think that I deceive genius.:happy10:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file