Hair like mine??

YayaMarieYayaMarie Posts: 9Registered Users
I'm starting to get a little conscious because I'm looking at photos of ladies that have very springy coils. Mine are kind of kinky. I don't know what my hair type is but I do know that I am in the 4 family. Anyone else is this family want to say hey and let me know what products they use (I use Oyinhandmade) it would be nice! :) I know that I am not alone, so 4's where are you at!? :sunny:

Comments

• springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    Hey Yayamarie,

Trying to find a hair twin is ridiculous, ain't it. I have tight springy coils, and have only found one person up here with the same. I look at the ladies here who are fours and say, "huh? My hair don't do that?" hehe

I know we can't big up other forums, but nappturality is a cool place to check out; i'm a member.

As for products: Different strokes, different folks. But in my experience, I found that conditioners and regimen make more of a difference than "products" for my hair in regards to softness and tangles. The only thing I highly recommend is tigi bedhead moisture maniac conditioner. I think it's great for us gals with dry stresses. And I'd try to use it at least every other day, too, wet of course. That stuff is amazing with detangling. Also, I'm having wonderful length retention with fingercombing, in the shower, with that conditioner.

Moisture: quality greases and heavy oils. That's all that works for me. Butters (like shea butter) seem to sit on my hair. I'm incorporating them into my night routine, but on first day wash...haha. no.

As for "grease", I recommend Carol's Daughter's Mimosa Hair Honey. I don't hear it talked about widely on this board, but I love that stuff over my conditioner. I've had great success too with pure, virgin coconut oil, and castor oil. Coconut oil has replaced the MHH for the time being...

Check out this youtuber. I love her hair! I thought I would have hair like hers, but mine is much thinner and a lot more coily. But the shrinkage and dryness level is about the same. Anyway, she does a great tutorial on finger combing and detangling. Detangling is the key to healthy coils for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKD-O-AC-60
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • YayaMarieYayaMarie Posts: 9Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the advice! I do find my hair to be quite different but I really think that as I gain length that maybe the curls will be a little more defined or I can see my texture better. I guess. Idk. That was a great video as well. Thank you so much.
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    Yes, definitely, length is a factor. I thought it was in my original post, but guess i deleted it. Anyway, keep at it. My hair def "falls" and "coils" differently now that it's longer. When I had a twa, it was coily, but they were tight and very small (think starter locs), and i usually picked it out for a more fro look. They still are tight and coily, but they are longer and are bunching in thicker curls.

You'll definitely learn your hair. And you'll see just how beautiful (and different) it is from everyone else. All of our hair is unique.
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is more kinky than curly... you can check my fotki for my products & pix but I'm sorta boring(
    I burn my cash on other stuff):lol:..

I don't use anything particular interesting or hip like many ladies here. My current leave-in is a mix of Trader Joe's Nourish Spa condish, water and olive oil.

I tried Long Aid curl activ. gel but my hair felt hard and I had to really work to co-wash it out so my deep conditioner can penetrate.

...Tried shea butter but it was too waxy. My hair is naturally low sheen and it made it duller.

I love Africa's Best Olive Oil deep conditioner, Vo5 instant condtioners and Finesse Moisturizing for co-washes...amla and olive oil for warm oil treaments, sealing, and mixtures. I also make my own spritz mix with mostly filtered water, a bit of ABOO dc or TJ, olive oil, a couple of drop of essential oil or perfume oil for scent.

Some of my YouTube inspirations (and possible 'hair twins' or at least hair cousins) are:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cynthiarf

http://www.youtube.com/user/mwedzi

when I had my locs i watched

http://www.youtube.com/user/chescaleigh

I know I'm forgetting something or someone but my children are driving me nuts.

Basically I consider advice from any curly type 3 and 4 about basic care (save the hardcore popping curls & shine-achievement parts etc.) ..but even things like cold water rinsing helps mine too.

In my house everyone (t1 to t4) uses the same products only w/ tweaks. My dh uses my shampoos and occasionally the cheap conditioners, the kids use everything but less of it depending on texture.

I guess I'm not convinced yet that the different hair types need a lot of special items. I think the differences are in frequency and amounts. I rarely touch the shampoo but my youngest and dh need it more. The rest of us are cowashers and I need my deep conditioners.

I'm writing a book but I'm trying to say that maybe don't discount the advice/products/regimen of ladies with looser curls. Maybe just adjust for your own hair?
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey Yayamarie,

Trying to find a hair twin is ridiculous, ain't it. I have tight springy coils, and have only found one person up here with the same. I look at the ladies here who are fours and say, "huh? My hair don't do that?" hehe

I know we can't big up other forums, but nappturality is a cool place to check out; i'm a member.

As for products: Different strokes, different folks. But in my experience, I found that conditioners and regimen make more of a difference than "products" for my hair in regards to softness and tangles. The only thing I highly recommend is tigi bedhead moisture maniac conditioner. I think it's great for us gals with dry stresses. And I'd try to use it at least every other day, too, wet of course. That stuff is amazing with detangling. Also, I'm having wonderful length retention with fingercombing, in the shower, with that conditioner.

Moisture: quality greases and heavy oils. That's all that works for me. Butters (like shea butter) seem to sit on my hair. I'm incorporating them into my night routine, but on first day wash...haha. no.

As for "grease", I recommend Carol's Daughter's Mimosa Hair Honey. I don't hear it talked about widely on this board, but I love that stuff over my conditioner. I've had great success too with pure, virgin coconut oil, and castor oil. Coconut oil has replaced the MHH for the time being...

Check out this youtuber. I love her hair! I thought I would have hair like hers, but mine is much thinner and a lot more coily. But the shrinkage and dryness level is about the same. Anyway, she does a great tutorial on finger combing and detangling. Detangling is the key to healthy coils for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKD-O-AC-60

gah, i love cynthia!!:love2::cheers:
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
    Thank you ladies for the beautiful responses!!! I really enjoyed the videos! It's nice to see others with hair similiar to mine. I'm still kind of new as I've only been natural for 6mo (last relaxer 8/10/08). I'm being patient as I try to attain length but I agree that I will be able to see my pattern as it grows! Thank you so much ladies! Be Blessed! Yaya
  • Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    I've got kinky curls as wells. no springs for me so wash and go styles are OUT. lol

I use leave-in (kinky curly know today, beauty without cruelty, and giovanni direct), Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Island Naturals (protein), Ohm Sweet Hair Pudding, and Castor Oil.

My winter regimen was Qhemet Biologic Amla/Olive Heavy Cream mixed with Olive/Honey Hydrating Balm, Aloe Vera Gel, and oils(Amla, Homemade Growth Oil).
    IMG_2442+-+Copy+2.JPG
    Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com
    I love your hair! *smiles*
  • mwedzimwedzi Posts: 86Registered Users
    You can check my fotki, perhaps you have hair like me.

A board for people who are 4b, non "curly" (the 'n' word, you know which one) hair types is cnappymenow. You may find product recommendations there, too.

Much more important than the products, to me, is the technique. For example, leaving my hair to dry loose will give me tangles to cry for (3+ hours of detangling). I've tried sooooo many products that people promise will make miracles happen on my hair, but no miracle. No one product is sooo much better than many others. But these are the ones that have been okay for me:
    Shampoo: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa or V05 Vanilla Mint Tea or V05 Free Me Freesia
    Deep Conditioner: Aveda Damage Remedy Intensive Treatment or Neutragena Triple Moisture Hair Mask or V05 + mayonnaise
    Leave in: Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Buttercream or Oyin Handmade [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Handmade-Whipped-Pudding-p-353.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-whipped-pudding]Whipped Pudding[/buylink] or Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Lotion
    Oils: castor oil, coconut oil, olive oil

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file