Hello, i'm new here

jessica1229jessica1229 Posts: 22Registered Users
Hi my name is jessica and I have been thinking about going back to natural and my last relaxer was February of this year. So far my hair has grown at least 2 inches and I notice the wavy curls..

What I want to know is do I really have to cut off my hair when growing my hair out?
3c, F, 1c/ii
Currently using: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner. Plus Giovanni Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Fusion . Also Proclaim hair gloss to give my hair shine and moisturized.

*2 years natural and loving it;-)* (the process continues)...:thumbup:

Comments

• drasdras Posts: 175Registered Users
    Welcome Jessica.

I am fairly new myself. I joined this month.

Its good that you want to give the relaxer a break.

I transitioned for 8 months then did the big chop this month. My last relaxer was in September 2008.

You dont have to do the big chop. You can let your hair grow out instead of cutting it. Infact some people transition for two years or more. It all depends on when you feel comfortable cutting your relaxed ends.

Good luck with the transition.

dras
    21 Months Relaxer Free

My album: http://public.fotki.com/dras/
  • jessica1229jessica1229 Posts: 22Registered Users
    Thanks...

I think i might take it one step at a time. Do you know if its better to braid or twist your hair while its going through the transition in order to prevent any damage to the relaxed ends???
    3c, F, 1c/ii
    Currently using: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner. Plus Giovanni Smooth as Silk Xtreme Protein Hair Fusion . Also Proclaim hair gloss to give my hair shine and moisturized.

• drasdras Posts: 175Registered Users
    I am not quite sure about braiding or twisting while transitioning because all I did was kept my hair in ponytails while transitioning. Maybe someone who is used to braiding or twisting could give us some tips?

sorry I wasnt much help.

dras
    21 Months Relaxer Free

My album: http://public.fotki.com/dras/
    thanks
    3c, F, 1c/ii

• blessedhimeblessedhime Posts: 1,458Registered Users
    Hi there jessica1229, congrats on making the decision to transition to natural. As dras rightly said, you don't have to do the BC, however, you must remember that moisture is key and conditioner should be your hair's best friend heh.

I may not know alot about braiding and twisting but bantu knot - outs have helped me so much. It's been my staple hairstyle. Every month, I've also been slowly cutting about an inch of relaxed hair off, as my natural hair grows. For bantu knot instructions, check the following links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfFcvZTYTWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbsLAwCxRO4

It's an easy style and blends the two textures nicely. My last relaxer was July 31st 2008, and this style is still helping me. Oh and ensure that you get a great moisturizer as well as deep condition once a week. I hope that this helps.
    Blessed Princess Diamante, High Archivist of the Thrifty Trinitarians in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last Relaxer: July 31st, 2008
    BC: 14th August, 2009
    Favourite Product Line: None at the moment
    HGs: Amla, brahmi, maka, neem, hibiscus and fenugreek powders.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you that does help alot..... I also plan on cutting as it grows...
    3c, F, 1c/ii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file