My haircut by J.D. Bowers

lharrcurllharrcurl Posts: 9Registered Users
Hi,
Earlier this week I got a haircut by J.D. Bowers at Eva Scrivo Salon (based on reviews from this site) and I'm very happy with the cut. Before I talk about J.D. let me give a brief background/reminder: A year ago I went to Curve Salon. I didn't have the bad experience some others have had but it's just way too expensive (I left comments about my Curve experience in the CurlSalons reviews section.)

Anyway my hair had grown to what I thought looked like a big round curly ball and I didn't care for the way it was going. Much as I tried, I couldn't find any pictures of styles I liked. But I was able to tell J.D. what I DIDN't like. He was great. He really listens and is very patient. I basically told him what I was kind of cut or style I was looking for (less volume, etc). I decided to go really short. When he was done I had the shortest haircut I've ever had (perfect for the summer). The only thing I miss now is the color I had before, so I may go back to him sooner rather than later for some color.

I promise to post before and after pictures soon!
Last Relaxer: Dec 03
BC: May 2005
3c/4a (I think)

Comments

• Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
    hey

thanks for your review! i've actually asked a few people here about their experieneces w/ J.D. Bowers. i go to new york about once a year and next time I go i think i will see him. do you find cutting your hair wet or dry gives you better results? my hair looks like crap, and it needs some pampering. Glad you had a good experience!
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
  • lharrcurllharrcurl Posts: 9Registered Users
    I wore my hair out that day with a headband. He said he usually cuts dry but he wanted to cut mine wet because of the way it falling/sitting/or something like that. I like that he explained why he was going to cut it wet. Sorry I can't remember exactly what he said. Guess I was so relaxed from him playing in my hair. :)
    After I removed the headband he used his fingers to shake it out but it probably didn't shake out enough to give him a true picture of the shape of my hair, especially since I had so much shrinkage. My hair had grown to right past my shoulders but you'd only see that if I blew it straight and then used the flat iron.

I've almost always had my hair cut dry but how it comes out seems to be related more to the stylist than the method. I've been happy as well as disappointed with cuts that were done dry.
    3c/4a (I think)
  • Ashkins1118Ashkins1118 Posts: 786Registered Users
    ok, thanks for explaining. Were the prices fair? Do you know if he gives consunltations before the cut/ style? Can't wait to see pics, the cut sounds lovely!
    Super Thick corkscrews and waves. LOVE Elucence MBC, Giovanni 50/50 condish, Qhemet Products, V05 Calming Chamomile Tea Therapy condish, Jessicurl WDT. These are my official HG's that I love oh so much
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Curlypad?feature=mhum

comic-p.jpg
  • BunnyBunny Posts: 93Registered Users
    I went to J.D. about two years ago when I was in NYC for work. I loved him and loved the color he did.

In fact, I should probably go back to him when I go back to NYC in November! Devachan was nice, but I expected more from them based on them hyping themselves up as THE spot for curlyheads.
    My hair type: 3C in the lower back, 3C/4A everywhere else... tons of coils from pencil diameter to watchspring

Album password: curly
  • lharrcurllharrcurl Posts: 9Registered Users
    ok, thanks for explaining. Were the prices fair? Do you know if he gives consunltations before the cut/ style? Can't wait to see pics, the cut sounds lovely!

I thought the price was "NY salon" fair ($120). And yes he does give consultations before the cut. He even told me that most of his clients from naturallycurly.com come for a consultation first. I didn't. I just wanted something done to my hair.
    3c/4a (I think)
  • extremecurlextremecurl Posts: 13Registered Users
    I'm so glad you had such a good experience! I'm one of the people who talked him up, so it's good to hear from others who also came out happy. I really like that he wants to know what you want, and then tells you why he thinks it is or isn't a good idea. I followed him from another salon; I would never have walked into a place that high end on my own (but I've always found everyone there to be really nice). You know it's an upscale kind of place when the only products they sell are Bumble & Bumble and Keratase!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file