What oils do you use for your hair?

CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 151
Hey everyone! I've been CG for about 6 months now and I was thinking about jumping onto the oils bandwagon. CG has done WONDERS for my hair and I figured the oils could help as well. I was on LHC last night and alot of people on there told me that Coconut Oil is really good for your hair and very moisturizing. I was wondering how does everyone apply the oil to their hair? Also does anyone use any special oil for growth? My hair grows ALOT during the summer (Anywhere from 4-5inches from June-August) so I wanted to maximize my growth as much as I can with oils. Any suggestions?
CG Since Nov 2008 and Currently using:
Co-wash: VO5 strawberries and cream
Conditioner: Suave Fresh Mountain Strawberries
Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

Follow Me on Twitter~~~~~>www.twitter.com/CourtneyAllenW

Comments

• starfishbluesstarfishblues Registered Users Posts: 49
    hi there! i've been on this board for ages, and i haven't really been around in a while, but i have been back since getting a short (shoulder-length) haircut for summer. like you, i saw a HUGE difference in my hair when i cut back on sulfate shampoos. i didn't stop using shampoo completely, but just watched my ingredients and started co-washing more frequently. the other thing that made a huge difference in my hair was using OIL! my personal favorite is jojoba oil. it's available at a health food store or you can buy it online. i mix it in with my leave in conditioner. you don't have to do it every day, and i only use a couple of drops, but believe me, it works wonders. i can tell if i've gone a month or so without it. from my understanding it helps to seal in the moisture that your leave-in puts in your hair. i have very fine 3b/c hair but i have a lot of it. hope this is of some help to you.
    3b/c, very fine, low porosity, average density
    co-wash: suave naturals or nature's gate
    shampoo: nature's gate 1x a week
    conditioner: pantene relaxed and natural or pantene nature's fusion
    leave-in: suave humectant
    styler: just a touch of fantasia IC sparklites gel

hair loves honey, almond oil, jojoba oil, mayonaise treatments
  • FunkyCurlGurlFunkyCurlGurl Registered Users Posts: 264
    I second the jojoba :thumbup: I've also been randomly experimenting with tea tree oil lately. I found it at Walmart of all places and put roughly an ounce in a spray bottle with 8 oz of water. It's a good mister on day 1 and beyond, scrunching in, and works surprisingly well at taming frizz. With any oil I put on my hair, I put a little in my palms and scrunch throughout, and a little goes a long way.
    event.png

http://public.fotki.com/funkycurlgirl/
    "when I feel her jump up and dance / I hear the music! my God / i'm talking about my nappy hair!"
    - Lucille Clifton, "Homage to my Hair."
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 151
    Thanks y'all. Yeah everyone is raving about the Jojoba Oil..I've used it in the past before and I mixed it with my conditioner (Aussie Moist) before I went cg and seriously it was absolutely AWESOME!! But then I went CG and pretty much threw out everything that i had previously used, including the oil. I wasn't sure at the time if it was water soluble since i knew mineral oil wasn't so i didn't want to take any chances.

You actually found some Tea Tree Oil at WALMART? I'm beginning to hate Walmart because they never have hair products that I need, not even my VO5 cowash!! lol. I'm sure if i went looking for some oil at my Walmart they would claim they don't have any lol. But I did go to our local health food store (Manna Grocery & Deli) and they had alot of oils and I pretty much went crazy..I think i grabbed a huge bottle of tea tree, coconut, jojoba AND rosemary! lol..also some giovanni conditioner too lol. This should get interesting!!! :)
    Gel:Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklites(only use when pulling my hair back in slick ponytail)

• maja21maja21 Registered Users Posts: 38
    Coconut oil was not good for my hair, it just stayed on the outside of the straw, but it smelled good...

I use lots of different oils but my favourites are avocado oil and camelia oil. But jojoba oil and sweet almond oil are good too.
    Fine 3a/3b

co wash: Vo5 Sun Kissed Raspberry Herbal conditioner

leave in : Garnier Ultra Doux à l'huile d'avocat et beurre de karité, Garnier ultra doux à la nacre et cerisier

style: Vivelle Dop Invisible, glycerin, almond oil

:hello2:
  • GettinControlGettinControl Registered Users Posts: 828
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity
  • mak.dcmak.dc Registered Users Posts: 10
    Coconut.
  • curlypixiecurlypixie Registered Users Posts: 15
    Hmm i don't use much as of now (just EVOO mixed with my leave in), but i want to try some...like coconut oil and definitely jajoba oil +D

CO-wash:Suave Tropical Coconut
    Rinse-out:using same as about;currently looking for a thicker rinse out
    Leave in:mixture of my suave coconut and EVOO
    Styling: Fantasia IC gel
    LIMITED SULFATES. NO CONES. NO PLOPPING

event.png
  • CrazyCurlyHairedGuyCrazyCurlyHairedGuy Registered Users Posts: 151
    These are the results of using the oils...i have to say i'm in love! lol

m193613980.jpg
    Brushed out lol
    m193613988.jpg
    m193614011.jpg
    m193614014.jpg

• JustKitty6JustKitty6 Registered Users Posts: 32
    Rosemary is for growth only.

Don't try and seal your ends with this because you will be in a complete stinky green oily mess!

My mom uses a rosemary rinse in the shower since her hair fell out after chemo and her spots have filled in very quickly. I'd say about 2 months with 1.5-2 in. of growth. I myself hate the smell but it really does work!

event.png
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Your hair looks gorgeous with the oils! :)

I use different oils for different things.

Olive Oil: mixed with honey and conditioner for a deep treatment. It's too heavy and greasy for my hair as a leave-in by itself. It just sits on top.

Jojoba Oil: good as a light glosser, it tends to make my hair easier to detangle after it's dry and I especially like it if I blow dry my hair straight. It gives it more shine and keeps it from tangling.

Coconut Oil: I tend to use this one the most as my hair seems to like it the most. My hair is really fine and it makes it feel stronger and smoother when I put it on while it's still damp. I also use it as a pre-poo(especially when I wash with shikakai powder) and afterwards as a leave-in. Plus I LOVE the smell. :)
  • CurlyHazeCurlyHaze Registered Users Posts: 295
    Has anyone tried Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil.
    I love this stuff it leaves hair silky and I really love the smell of it. I got it at Walmart for 2.49 for 8 oz.
    I use it for hair and body.
    Very Thick dry 3b BSL.
    Fine, medium porosity
    Right now I am using GVP conditioning balm for cowash and RO,
    my hair loves protein.
    for styling my base is BRHG I can use it alone but prefer with Curl Keeper. I sulphate poo once a month or so as needed.
    http://public.fotki.com/CurlyHaze/
  • GettinControlGettinControl Registered Users Posts: 828
    Also, I like sweet almond oil.
    3a/b medium/coarse combo(w/some fine strands), normal porosity, normal elasticity(strong)
    Komaza analysis 2015: medium to coarse combo(some fine strands), normal porosity, strong elasticity, healthy hair
    Goosefootprints 2013: moderately coarse with some medium; low porosity at roots, normal thru shaft, porous ends, normal elasticity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file