CurlTalk

What makes you a REAL member at NC.COM.....

MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
.. and NOT a troll. I'm just curious as it seems that some posters are assumed to be real while others aren't being questioned at all. What are the deciding factors when you are determining whether a poster is a TROLL or not?!

Where is that ADORABLE troll emoticon when I need it?!?! :lol:
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,494Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    i picked combination - and it's a combination of posting style and topics.

sincerity has nothing to do with the date one joined.

that said - i confronted the coulter-supporter based on "her" joined date because nothing disgusts me more than people who hold strong beliefs and refuse to stand behind them using their own name.

:roll:
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • MeghuneyMeghuney Posts: 4,263Registered Users
    rouquinne wrote:
    i picked combination - and it's a combination of posting style and topics.

sincerity has nothing to do with the date one joined.

that said - i confronted the coulter-supporter based on "her" joined date because nothing disgusts me more than people who hold strong beliefs and refuse to stand behind them using their own name.

:roll:

HA! But what if they proclaimed that MAC was the BESTEST most WONDERFUL cosmetic line IN THE UNIVERSE!!!?? :twisted:
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,494Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    EVERYONE KNOWS that THAT is the truth, m'dear!

:lol:
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I really don't care if someone is a "real" poster or not. :lol:

I do suspect that some posters are former members or friends of members as they seem to know what buttons to push and have certain other posters backing them up for no reason that could be found openly on the board. But honestly, I just don't care. Have at it and have fun. :wink:

I do not like it when the hostility comes into play, but, that happens all around. Fingers can't be pointed at just certain posters. It usually comes down to perrception.
    I really don't care if someone is a "real" poster or not. :lol:

I do suspect that some posters are former members or friends of members as they seem to know what buttons to push and have certain other posters backing them up for no reason that could be found openly on the board. But honestly, I just don't care. Have at it and have fun. :wink:

I do not like it when the hostility comes into play, but, that happens all around. Fingers can't be pointed at just certain posters. It usually comes down to perrception.

You know, it wasn't until recently that I began wondering. During my recent alias/not alias experience, I started to wonder about everyone I chat with here on a regular basis. Are all of them "actual people" or are some of them just an alias of someone else? After enough head-scratching, I decided to just forget about it. It doesn't really matter anyway.
  • GuardianBGuardianB Posts: 1,818Registered Users
    Meghuney wrote:
    I started to wonder about everyone

Yeah I'm starting to wonder about myself thanks to you. :?

<looks down>

~Two friends, one soul inspired~ anonymous
    Meghuney wrote:
    You know, it wasn't until recently that I began wondering. During my recent alias/not alias experience, I started to wonder about everyone I chat with here on a regular basis. Are all of them "actual people" or are some of them just an alias of someone else? After enough head-scratching, I decided to just forget about it. It doesn't really matter anyway.

I think I missed the actual occurence; but, read in some of your posts about that incident after the fact. I can see why that would get you wondering! I think ZzZoe, has brought up a lot of this troll stuff again as well, and, if someone *thinks* she is a troll, then ignore her! I don't get the hoopla :wink:
    GuardianB wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

<looks down>

GuardianB wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

<looks down>

HA! And what makes it funny is that I really was arguing with another member about whether you were a man or a lesbian. I swore UP AND DOWN that you were a lesbian and if someone would have asked me to, I would have put MONEY on it!! :oops: I feel SO bad, now!!
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    GuardianB wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

<looks down>

Awww. If I had known, I would have set Miss Honey straight. You are a man. All man. 8)
    I take it that my new name here REALLY IS Miss Honey!! :D
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Posts: 1,955Registered Users
    I put that it was the topics they choose to post on because it seems like most of the times when the trolls do pop up it on post that are already senseitive and they just want to add fuel to the fire... OH and I think Miss Honey is a lovely new name you've been given :lol:
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    A real member is someone who wants to join in on discussions, debates, and topics brought up on the board. A troll is someone who joins the board with the intent of starting trouble and pissing people off.

Then there are those who get banned and then create an alias to start trouble all while swearing up and down that they are not said banned member.

Not that there's anyone like that here. 8)

But if there were, I wouldn't necessarily care - unless of course the alias was of said banned member that I didn't particularly care for. In which case I'd probably give them a hard time - but that would be a pretty silly thing for someone to do. I can't imagine someone's life would be that sad.

Thank God we don't have anyone like that on this board!! :D
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    babywavy wrote:
    A real member is someone who wants to join in on discussions, debates, and topics brought up on the board. A troll is someone who joins the board with the intent of starting trouble and pissing people off.

Then there are those who get banned and then create an alias to start trouble all while swearing up and down that they are not said banned member.

But if there were, I wouldn't necessarily care - unless of course the alias was of said banned member that I didn't particularly care for. In which case I'd probably give them a hard time - but that would be a pretty silly thing for someone to do. I can't imagine someone's life would be that sad.

Well, what if you didn't know FOR sure that it was really someone you didn't care for? And wouldn't it ALSO be silly to give them a hard time when you THINK it's someone you didn't care for?

No snark intended (but I think you know that, babywavy) :wink: .........
    I'm just sayin'.........
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users
    Meghuney wrote:
    babywavy wrote:

Well, what if you didn't know FOR sure that it was really someone you didn't care for? And wouldn't it ALSO be silly to give them a hard time when you THINK it's someone you didn't care for?

No snark intended (but I think you know that, babywavy) :wink: .........
    I'm just sayin'.........

That WOULD absolutely be silly! I guess I'd just have to trust my intuition........you know, in that purely hypothetical situation.

(don't worry Meg, I think I'm being snarky enough for the both of us :wink: )

YOU? SNARKY?!?!? NEVER!!! :lol: :wink:
    Meghuney wrote:
    YOU? SNARKY?!?!? NEVER!!! :lol: :wink:

I KNOW - SERIOUSLY!!

You are MY GURL!! :lol:

as long as I continue to cover my eyes when I see your posts on the race threads..
  • BohemianRenegadeBohemianRenegade Posts: 1,078Registered Users
    I think its a combination. When someone storms onto the board and automatically starts being snarky and seems to know background information about other posters- I get suspicious. Usually newbies are nice and docile in the beginning. That's an assumption though.
    Trying to find some sanity as I work on my master's in nursing...
  • FreeCurlsFreeCurls Posts: 4,408Registered Users
    Meghuney wrote:

I honestly don't even get the concern. Why does it matter so much to you? Regardless, you still don't know these posters. Everyone here is an Alias unless their username is their legal name and even then we still don't know for sure.

Even in real life most of us have at least two names. I even at one point in life decided to go by my middle name for a while. I eventually went back.

Many women take on a spouses name.

NC gives us the ability to switch usernames at will.

Why is is such a big deal to change names on a message board? Does it keep you up at night? ;) Most times people are still identifiable by their posting styles, typos, smiley usage.etc.

Aside from it being against board rules, if a person has an "alias" and is posting in a manner that doesn't seem trollish you would have no reason suspect. so again I ask, what's the big deal?

There are "regular" posters here who have "gone Trollish" so it's not just limited to aliai.

In the grand scheme of things....
    [FONT=&quot]Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce & FreeCurls[/FONT]

Meghuney wrote:

as long as I continue to cover my eyes when I see your posts on the race threads..

You know, I TRY to keep my mouth shut since it always gets me into trouble, but somehow that NEVER works!! :lol:

FreeCurls wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

I honestly don't even get the concern. Why does it matter so much to you? Regardless, you still don't know these posters. Everyone here is an Alias unless their username is their legal name and even then we still don't know for sure.

Even in real life most of us have at least two names. I even at one point in life decided to go by my middle name for a while. I eventually went back.

Why is is such a big deal to change names on a message board? Does it keep you up at night? ;) Most times people are still identifiable by their posting styles, typos, smiley usage.etc.

Aside from it being against board rules, if a person has an "alias" and is posting in a manner that doesn't seem trollish you would have no reason suspect. so again I ask, what's the big deal?

There are "regular" posters here who have "gone Trollish" so it's not just limited to aliai.

Then my questions is: Why does it matter so much to you that it matters so much to me?

And again, in other threads, other posters have even said that they look at each username as an actual person and many people here feel as if they have made very close friends here at Nc.com. Some even said they look at some of them as "sisters". So, I'm not the only one who actually CARES.

If you don't get the concern, that's fine. But I don't see why it would matter to you if I care. And, I have met a handful of people here who AREN'T just aliases and they have become people I TRULY KNOW. I talk to them quite often outside of NC.COM.

And, I don't suspect a thing. I'm asking because others have been accusing someone of being a troll. I'm just curious as to WHY that is.
    babywavy wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

You know, I TRY to keep my mouth shut since it always gets me into trouble, but somehow that NEVER works!! :lol:

Mabye you and I should form a support group for one another babywavy. :lol:
    Meghuney wrote:
    FreeCurls wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

Then my questions is: Why does it matter so much to you that it matters so much to me?

Well, why does it matter so much to you that it matters to me that it matters to you? 8) :lol:

babywavy wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:
    FreeCurls wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

Well, why does it matter so much to you that it matters to me that it matters to you? 8) :lol:

LMAO! That was what I was going for! I started to post a :lol: after I typed it but figured someone would be smart enough to pick up on it without it. :lol: :twisted:
    Meghuney wrote:
    babywavy wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:
    FreeCurls wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

LMAO! That was what I was going for! I started to post a :lol: after I typed it but figured someone would be smart enough to pick up on it without it. :lol: :twisted:

As my husband would say - I'm a fart smeller!

• M2LRM2LR Posts: 8,630Registered Users
    FreeCurls wrote:
    Meghuney wrote:

ITA with a lot of what FreeCurls has said.
    My other comments are that it's the internet. How can you EVER be sure that something or someone is real, or truthful in what they post? People are hiding behind a computer screen and a username, they can be whatever/whomever they want. I can sit here and tell you all that I have two kids, but unless you knew me personally, you'd never really know, right?
    My thing is not really caring if someone is real or not, but why people would LIE, or tell stories/make things up about them selves. If they care this much about what people think about them ONLINE, they are probably really bad in real life. The only times that I really trust what people have to say is if it's a smaller community, and that the posters are known to be credible, they don't post a lot of bunk, they don't toot their own horns all the time, they are generally likeable people. Kind of goes back to the thread that someone started about feeling "safe" here. I belong to two other boards that are pretty small in comparison to this one, and more of my friends are there. I do feel safer posting on those boards, at least about things going on with me, and I am not afraid to toot my own horn there. But here? No. And I have to admit that half of the time, I don't take much from this board seriously, it's a lot of entertainment, though.

Trollish behavior is when people register at a site just to cause problems, at least that's what the "nettiquette" definition is. ITA that there are normal/regular members that exhibit trollish behavior all the time.
    :rambo:
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    i have no faith in the human race and simply like to troll around laughing at stupid people. currently i want to get laid so im being nice.

in a nutshell. 8)
  • ZzZoeZzZoe Posts: 80Registered Users
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    currently i want to get laid so im being nice.

do you think someone from here will help you out
  • zmanzzzzzmanzzzz Banned Posts: 3,826Banned Users
    ZzZoe wrote:
    zmanzzzz wrote:
    currently i want to get laid so im being nice.

do you think someone from here will help you out

is that an offer?