We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What's the difference btween activator gel and styling gel?

tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
When I do a search for a "moisturizing gel" I get a lot of recs for curl activating gels. What is the difference between that and a styling gel? Does an activator gel leave your hair with a greasy feel to it? Does it dry like a styling gel does?
CG - 3/27/09
3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
Styling: lube and BRHG

Comments

• tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So does this mean I'm not alone in not knowing what the difference is? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
    CG - 3/27/09
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    This question did have me pondering, because I don't know off the top of my head.

I'd have to go look at the ingredients of a popular activator gel to see if there is much of a difference.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think people name the products something they think is catchy--that's why we have curl cream/cremes, puddings, custards, etc. Some consistencies are the same some are different. Most act in the same fashion, they provide moisture--which enhances curls.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I wasn't sure myself without dissecting ingredients, I know for myself personally I use a curl activator/enhancer then a gel on top for hold. So to me the difference is that a curl activator may not necessarily hold your style but it will enhance your curl and you may still need the holding properties that a gel provides. They seem to provide 2 different functions although some can get away with a curl activator/gel as their only styler such as [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] because their curl pattern supports it or because the weather is either cooperative/uncooperative :dontknow:
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users
    I don't know the difference, but if you're looking for a moisturizing gel, FOTE is great. It doesn't have much hold (barely any..or maybe none. haha) but it's amazingly moisturizing and defining-y!
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Activator gels (or curl activator gels) typically have a high glycerin content. Many gels don't have glycerin at all.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks SBB!! So if I use an activator gel it won't make my hair feel like a jehri curl, right? It'll dry and i'll be able to scrunch it if I need to?
    CG - 3/27/09

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file