GoW anyone?

VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
Hi,

I've been browsing the GoW site and am thinking about placing an order. These are some of the products I'm considering. If anyone has tried them, or anything else from GoW that they love, please do tell! TIA
  1. hemp seed oil
  2. emu oil -- I've been using the emu from skincarecentral and really like it...is this similar?
  3. rose hip oil
  4. HA -- they have sooo many to choose from -- I'm trying to decide between the pure, the honey and the cranberry
  5. the 2% BHA -- they call it the beta exfo tonic
  6. anything else you ladies love?
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Comments

• scoles222scoles222 Registered Users Posts: 21
    I really don't think you can go wrong with anything Markey sells! All her stuff is good quality for the price. I've used her Blueberry HA, and the Cucumber HA, both of which are really nice. Never tried any of the other items you're looking at. I'm using the 2% BHA from PSF right now & it seems like it's pretty strong (which is good). I wonder how the GOW version compares? Please let us know if you try it!;-)
    ~Samantha
  • alacurlalacurl Registered Users Posts: 1,199 Curl Novice
    The Beta Exfo tonic, oil cleanser and orange castille cleanser are great.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I have their rosehip and camellia oils for my face. Been looking at the mandelic acid.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ZinniaZinnia Registered Users Posts: 7,339
    vt mom,

did you end up buying that acne product for your son? if so, did it work?

GoW has excellent service. i buy hydrosols from her, and i like that i can buy small bottles of oil to try at a reasonable price. i didn't have success with her finished products.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm definitely a GoW fanatic! I've been using GoW exclusively for over a year and a half now. I've tried most of Markey's cleansers: castile, oj castile, lemony mint, lemongrass scrub, strawberry scrub, majik azulene, green tea/shea, etc. I have sample sizes of practically all her conditioning oils and HA serums for my skin type (combo). Of the ones I've tried so far, I do recommend the blue mallow and cucumber HAs as well as pomegranate oil (you'll need another oil to mix this one with since you shouldn't use the pom oil straight). I've tried the honey HA but that irritated my skin pretty badly; its the only HA to cause a reaction.

Check out the GoW forum - the ladies there are more than helpful and will help guide you towards products for your particular skin type.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • VTmomVTmom Registered Users Posts: 2,487 Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the responses everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm hoping to place an order soon...her prices seem so reasonable I don't think I can hardly go wrong, even if I get something I'm not in love with. The one product I'm on the fence about is the emu. I really like the ultra emu I have from skincarecentral and am afraid to stray, but it just might be worth a try.

Wind --- girl, you've got a good memory!! Now don't laugh...the acne product I bought for my son is still in my medicine cabinet!! :shock: His skin has been looking soooo good, I didn't want to mess with success. I saw him in late Feb. for a weekend, March for spring break, mid-April for Easter, and now he's just graduated so he's home for a while. All those times, his face looked fabu (I think he's using some products from acne.org)...I was sooooooo happy. Anyhoo, I didn't even tell him about it. Hopefully, I won't have to cuz his skin will continue to look great. I don't even care if I've wasted that money -- I just want him to have clear and happy skin. Thanks so much for asking, that was really sweet of you. BTW, what finished products did you get from GoW that didn't agree with you?

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
    scoles and hello --
    are you mixing the HA's with oil or using it straight as a moisturizer?

great news about your son's skin. :joker:

hmmm...i don't really recall all of the products. let's see...strawberry scrub, some cream (clogged my pores), a cleanser, blueberry something, scar cream, lightening cream, sulfur mask...and some other products. i really like her hydrosols and the glacial clay and will continue to purchase these products.
    ^^^^ this may be a silly question, but is the purpose of the hydrosol simply to spray it on the face for soothing and relief? which ones do you like?

one more thing, do you spray as the last step in your routine or throughout the day?

• helloitsiohelloitsio Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Curl Connoisseur
    VTmom wrote: »
    scoles and hello --
    are you mixing the HA's with oil or using it straight as a moisturizer?

i mix about a dime's worth of HA with 2-4 drops of oil
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
    ^^^^ this may be a silly question, but is the purpose of the hydrosol simply to spray it on the face for soothing and relief? which ones do you like?

one more thing, do you spray as the last step in your routine or throughout the day?

they add moisture, help creams absorb and are beneficial to the skin. i use the melissa (for acne...has helped quite a bit), neroli (for acne) and patchouli. i also use them as the liquid when i mix a masque.

i carry a 1 oz sprayer with me and spray throughout the day.
    thanks...hmm...they sound interesting!

• scoles222scoles222 Registered Users Posts: 21
    Yes, I just spritz my face with the hydrosols, they are very soothing for me (especially the fruit ones). I didn't even know they made strawberry or watermelon hydrosols! I do have to agree that I have not had great success with GOW's finished products either, with the exception of the HA Serums, which I think are lovely. I would like to try her orange castile, since it is getting raves on here. I was using the PSF Castile & didn't experience any dryness at all, but I tried a sample of their Papaya Cleanser that they sent me & I ordered a full size. It takes off my MMU great & I like that is has AHA in it to exfoliate too. I'd like to try the GOW Castile though when this runs out.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    Older thread, but I am in love with GoW. The oils are all great, and I love the HA and hydrosols. Actually, the fruit hydrating mists rock too.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    The order I placed w/GoW was my first one with them and I was thrilled w/the speed of delivery. I really like everything I ordered (hemp seed oil, 3-pk. sampler of HA's,--cuke, cranberry and blue mallow--and 2% BHA). I'm actually thinking about ordering some more stuff soon---maybe some grapeseed oil and hydrosols.

CHF- what are your fave oils and hydrosols?

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    The order I placed w/GoW was my first one with them and I was thrilled w/the speed of delivery. I really like everything I ordered (hemp seed oil, 3-pk. sampler of HA's,--cuke, cranberry and blue mallow--and 2% BHA). I'm actually thinking about ordering some more stuff soon---maybe some grapeseed oil and hydrosols.

CHF- what are your fave oils and hydrosols?

For the oils, I really like Camellia sinesis and Hazelnut. I have acne prone skin and the hazelnut really helps with that.

For HA serums, cucumber and cranberry are definitely standouts.

For hydrosols, the lavender has been the best for my combo, sensitive, and acne prone skin thought the rose did well.

The hydrating fruit mists are great too. Pineapple and pomegranate are my two favorites.
    Currently Loving:

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
    ^^^oooo...thanks for the recs!!

^^^oooo...thanks for the recs!!

Not a problem :)

I haven't tried to many oils, because I only order the ones that can be used up to 100%. I don't like having to do dilutions and all that.

Go here to see a list of what each hydrosol does. This way you can get one suited for your skin type.
    http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/hydrosol.html
    Currently Loving:

• SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I started using the Majik C Serum (15%) and love it. Will be starting the retinol product in the next week or so, when I use up my Avene Retrinal.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file