CurlTalk

GVP conditioning balm (Sally's biolage knockoff)

finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
I didn't see a thread here exclusively devoted to this stuff, so I decided to start one.

I bought this stuff after seeing raves about it here, and because my hair is sooooo dried out right now from chlorine abuse :angry2:. I hate LVPNG condish. I know lots of people love it, but I just hate the stuff. Something about the way it goes in my hair makes it foam up, which makes it not so conditioning after all.

ANYWAY...I bought the GVP stuff (great value products conditioning balm, at Sally's) and tried it today. The slip is not very good, but it IS a very rich product, so I didn't expect that. I did a modified DT with it (left it on for about 10 min. while I shaved my legs, lol), then rinsed out and used VO5 moisture milks as a leave in. I am air drying with no styling products in right now, just to give my hair a "break," (besides, it's pouring down rain...why bother styling...) or a "naked day" as I like to call it, so we shall see how it goes.

The price is definitely right ($5.79 for 16oz.), and it's readily available, so those are two huge plusses in my book. Other curlies, what say you?
Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

Comments

• BackliteyesBackliteyes Posts: 91Registered Users
    I've only had the chance to try it once so far, so I can't really say yet. On first brush I liked it and I'll use it as a richer conditioner unless issues crop up that I can attribute to it. At this point though I have 2 other conditioners competing to be my heavier conditioner go-to, so I'm still seeing if my hair likes any better than the others.
    2bMii, normal porosity
    CG since 5/8
    :love2: Growing to natural color since 6/13
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals
    Poo: Jessicurl HCC, Giovanni TTTT
    Co/LI: LVPNG, Jessicurl Too Shea, Giovanni DLI, Honey
    Style: KCCC, Jessicurl RR/CC, BRHG, Crew Pomade, Jessicurl AIS
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    Hah, well, this is my HG conditioner, and I love it, as you can see from my sig. I believe there are several threads devoted to it, but they are probably under "Biolage" instead of "GVP" or "Sally's." Walgreens also has their version, which is very popular here, called BioInfusium? balm (costs more than Sally's tho), and apparently, Aldi's makes a great one, too.
    Your post just goes to show how everyone's hair reacts differently to products, because the instant that CO first hit my hair, it was amazing! :love4:

I get tons of slip with it. I don't get slip like this with anything else I've tried, nothing comes near it. The tangles melt away as soon as it hits my hair. I've looked at the ingredients, and apparently, my hair loves the fatty alcohols that seem to predominate in this CO. I've used a lot of other COs that are very rich in oils (including AOHR, JC TooShea) -- and none of them give me slip; instead they seem to make my hair feel dry and tangly, even while it's wet. The big difference as soon as I used this GVP CO is that my hair DOES feel wet, soaking wet, and smooth, in the shower. When I turn off the water to add my products, my hair is still wet and slippery feeling -- I never have this with other COs, so product distribution was very hard.
    This CO made a *huge* improvement in the condition of my hair, in just the first week or two, and I've been using it steadily now since I think end of March. My hair is shiny now, and soft, and the icky dry patch in back that has been fried and bleached looking for the past many years is showing a lot of improvement for the first time. So even though I've used all sorts of good products on my hair since going CG two years ago, and even though I use oils on my hair regularly, this stuff is what has made the big difference for me. It also seems to make all my other products work better, too, maybe just because my hair is in better shape now.
    So I think it's just a matter of which ingredients work for which hair -- your hair may not love those fatty alcohols so much because it's craving -- what? Hope you can find out soon!
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • saricurlsaricurl Posts: 121Registered Users
    GVP is way too heavy for me. I gave it a few good tries but it gave me the same results that other heavy conditioners (like AOHR and AOWC) give me: heavy, gummy, sausage-like ringlets that hang close to my head with a lot of frizz. It felt great in the shower, detangled well, but once I styled I could tell it wasn't going to work. I love rich conditioners but they need to be rich AND light, which GVP is not on my hair. It makes a great shaving cream, though! My legs have never been so soft!
    3b with a little 3a
    Mostly CG, but I love me some amodimethicone.

Cleanse: V05 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner; CJ Hibiscus Bliss low poo; LLL Green Tea Cleanse
    Rinse-Out: Kenra moisturizing conditioner, Redken All Soft (old formula), LVPNG, LVPHG
    Leave-In: Agave nectar plus Sebastian Potion 9 or Aloeba
    Style: Dab of QCCC, Re:Coil or Mop-C under BRHG/HESMU combo

• NyloracNylorac Posts: 129Registered Users
    I just bought this stuff today and I am feeling hopeful about this product. The hair on the top of my head is dried out so I am looking for a rich conditioner to soften it up. I cannot say that something profound happened in the first use, but it was clearly a super moisturizing conditioner! I read somewhere on here that it might be best to rotate this conditioners with out ones because it is so heavy. That is my plan with this product.
    Chicago 2B, CG since 5/1/09, Med text, top of the head=porous
    Lo-Poo: GTTT
    Co-wash: GTTT/Mop MG
    CO: AOHR,
    AOGPB
    :thumbup:: BB's FSG, Re:Coil, CJCCC, BRHG
    Others: KCCC, KCNT, FOTE, WW Tiare pomade
    Done experimenting.
    My Hair Loves Protein :love5: And BB's FSG!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNylorac%2F" class="Popup
  • The MopThe Mop Posts: 86Registered Users
    I am a huge fan of this conditioner and I use it nearly every day mushed up with some honey. My hair does not tangle with this stuff. My hair is not weighed down by this stuff. My super dry hair, very porous hair thinks this product saved it from a fate worse than death by flat iron.
    My hair is insane, porous, fine, thick/dense, 2C/3A depending on the humidity that day.
    shampoo: L'Oreal Sulfate free stuff sometimes
    co-wash: Suave Naturals coconut
    condish: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in: Will try Tresemme Naturals volume (as if I need volume)
    products:
    honey, FOTE AVG=my HG, Noodle Head mousse, HETT

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Y'all are keeeling me with this new lemmmming you've created for me. I am heading to Sally's tomorrow so that I can keeeel the lemming.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    I love this stuff! My daughters loved it too. I bought two bottles and was saving the second one. I just finished off the Walgreens knockoff (Bioinfusion-conditioning balm) and to me it was not as conditioning as the GVP from Sally's, plus I like the smell of the GVP much better. I will have to stock up on the GVP when I can. :)
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    Plus the one from Sally's is even cheaper than Walgreen's. :happy2:

You said it, Mop. This stuff is the bomb. My hair loves it. I've used it consistently since I first tried it. I wonder where it has been all my life.
    I am going to marry it. :love5:

(Saricurl -- maybe you could use it for a DT. I'll have to try it on my legs; thanks for the idea!)
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    curlykey wrote: »
    I will have to stock up on the GVP when I can. :)

Sally's is having a sale right now -- I got a coupon in the mail for 20% off for June. I think you have to have the Sally's card to get this (it's worth getting the card). But I saw sale prices at the store as well, and I think the GVP products were marked down.
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • Type2CFromSpainType2CFromSpain Posts: 30Registered Users
    May you tell me the ingredients of this stuff? I don't like silicones and I'm interested in.
    Thank you.
  • KsLiZCuRlZKsLiZCuRlZ Posts: 272Registered Users
    May you tell me the ingredients of this stuff? I don't like silicones and I'm interested in.
    Thank you.
    No Silicones..it's CG and i want to get it as soon as i finish my last bottle of silicone conditioner
    CG..yep that's me!

:occasion7:
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    I never tried the GVP version, but I love the Aldi one-$3.99 for 16 oz. In fact, I'm DTing now right after my henna, and I also used it in my henna gloss on the length of my hair. Has anyone used the Aldi and the GVP, and can compare them?
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Posts: 897Registered Users
    My local Sally's never has this in stock, and I really want to try it. Hopefully they will get it in soon.

Sherry
  • Lnm130Lnm130 Posts: 15Registered Users
    I never knew Aldi sold conditioner? I'm not in there very often, only for certain things, but there is one right down the street.
    :blob7:CG since 6/28/09:blob7:

BSL 3a(?), medium texture, average porosity. I think.:dontknow:

Co-Wash- VO5
    Condish- NutriGloss, GVPCB, or Lutrasilk
    Stylers I like so far: Honey, KY, Bioterra, LaLooks Sports Gel, HESMU
  • lisasandlisasand Posts: 71Registered Users
    I too now use the Aldi conditioner in my henna gloss. I first used the Bioinfusion, Walgreen's version of Biolage and liked how well it moisturized my hair, but it was too expensive to continue using in my henna gloss and Auntnett I think it was, mentioned on the henna thread both the GVP and Aldi Shique conditioning balm, so I got both to try (I actually had my nephew mail me 2 btls of Aldi from Chicago..lol) as there isn't an Aldi anywhere near me.
    GVP is a little creamier than Aldi and I love the smell of the GVP more. The other difference for me is that the Aldi condish foams a little when I scrunch my hair as I use it as a leave in also, so now I smooth it in. However, I like them both and will continue to alternate between them.
    Have been using them every 2 days for about 4 wks now and perhaps it's too soon to say that I have found my HG but my goodness do I like these 2 products!
    Hair analysis results - medium texture, low porosity and normal elasticity.
    Shampoo: Giovanni tea tree triple treat
    Conditioner: Giovanni 50:50
    Co-wash: Suave naturals waterfall mist or wildcherry blossom
    Gel: Loving flax seed gel!
    Henna - yemeni henna and indigo from hennasooq
  • finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
    Thank you.
    Here are the ingredients:
    Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Decyl Oleate, Phenoxyethanol, Fragrance (Parfum), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Hexyl Cinnamal, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Hydrastis Canadensis (Golden Seal) Extract, Fucus Vesiculosus (Bladderwack) Extract, Methyl-2-Octynoate
    As the previous poster upthread said, it's CG and 'cone free.
    I never tried the GVP version, but I love the Aldi one-$3.99 for 16 oz. In fact, I'm DTing now right after my henna, and I also used it in my henna gloss on the length of my hair. Has anyone used the Aldi and the GVP, and can compare them?
    Not me, we don't have an Aldi anywhere close by me.

It's been almost 2 months, and I love this stuff. It's one of my staples in my conditioning routine. If Sally's ever changes the formula, I may have a breakdown. LOL.
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

• thickcurlygurlythickcurlygurly Posts: 230Registered Users
    I just bought some from sally's today, a few minutes ago i took my hair out of the shirt I use for plopping, and wow I love this stuff!
    1)the price $6 at sally's beauty supply store
    2)Results soft hair, minimal frizz !yay!
    3)It smells super yummy and the smell lasts
    4)cg friendly!
    4 1/2)hydrates my dry curly hair
    5)all of the above combined in 1 product
    :wav:
    happy hair!
    conditioner: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in co: GVP conditioning balm

And my hair hates avg :happy3:

Yes I consider myself obsessed with my hair. :happy7:
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    lisasand wrote: »
    I too now use the Aldi conditioner in my henna gloss. I first used the Bioinfusion, Walgreen's version of Biolage and liked how well it moisturized my hair, but it was too expensive to continue using in my henna gloss and Auntnett I think it was, mentioned on the henna thread both the GVP and Aldi Shique conditioning balm, so I got both to try (I actually had my nephew mail me 2 btls of Aldi from Chicago..lol) as there isn't an Aldi anywhere near me.
    GVP is a little creamier than Aldi and I love the smell of the GVP more. The other difference for me is that the Aldi condish foams a little when I scrunch my hair as I use it as a leave in also, so now I smooth it in. However, I like them both and will continue to alternate between them.
    Have been using them every 2 days for about 4 wks now and perhaps it's too soon to say that I have found my HG but my goodness do I like these 2 products!

The last I got at Aldi was only $2.98 for a 16 oz. bottle - it's a thin, cheap bottle, but who cares?

I've never noticed the foamy thing, but then I never use it as a leave-in. Don't notice any difference in the smell. If anything, the Aldi smells just like the real Biolage while the GVP maybe not exactly - very negligible difference to me.

IMO, they're all great - I can use them every time I wash my hair if I want without it getting over conditioned or weighed down even though I tend to get easily weighed down.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • sherry7899sherry7899 Posts: 897Registered Users
    I finally found it! I'm going to try it out tomorrow.

Sherry
  • happycurls24happycurls24 Posts: 263Registered Users
    I am new to CG and after reading about the evilness of silicones I switched from Pantene Hydrating Curls to GVP conditioning balm with VO5 strawberry moisturizing conditioner as a cowash.

I saw a difference immediately.
    My dry hair is soft and my curls are looser.
    My hair is still a bit frizzy but I attribute that mostly to the weather...

But I think GVP is great!:compress:
    Hair Type: 3b /3a?.... medium texture, normal porosity:afro:

Conditioner:
    Aussie Moist

Shampoo: Organix Shampoo

Other products: Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam Mousse, LA looks Sport gel, & whatever is cheapest for a frizz serum.

:blob:
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    I love the original Biolage condish and I love this just as much, if not more. It's great for me year round, leaving my hair soft and silky and well-moisturized without weighing it down. The smell is light and pleasant, too.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • southerngirliesoutherngirlie Posts: 19Registered Users
    I just got this yesterday and wow. It is really great. My curls are more defined and shiny. Great product for the price.
    2c-3a, very thick,letting my hair grow
    Modified CG

co-wash:VO5 Vanilla mint tea
    Conditioner: Generic Biolage conditioning balm
    Styling-LA looks sport gel mixed with HE totally twisted Mousse
    Shampoo ever other day-Burt's Bees Sugar Beet and Grapefruit

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I love this stuff!!! TONS of slip and it is so moisturizing, I couldn't believe the slip my hair had even after I got out of the shower! And such a cheapie condish that isn't loaded with ingredients that my hair hates.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
    So I'm a huge fan of the GVP Biolage conditioning balm. I used it constantly from March through August. It worked great through say June -- instantly detangled my hair, gave great slip, really moisturized my hair and got it in much better shape than before.
    But I started noticing that it was no longer working the same. I'd put it in my hair and my hair would stay really tangled, it didn't detangle easily, and my hair wasn't curling anymore. I kept using it though, for another month. Why does a product stop working? I can't think of any other variables -- it was a dramatic difference in how it worked and felt in my hair. Has anyone had this happen with the GVP??
    So I've switched off, for the time being, using the Aura Naturelle (from Sally's) cherry almond revitalizing conditioner. From the instant it hit my hair, all the tangles dissappeared -- like the GVP used to do -- and I got great hair, all my waves were back from the first time. I don't know why this happens, but I hope I can go back to the GVP at some point. I highly recommend the Aura CO, too. I'm using it to detangle and as a leave-in. Brown tube, about $7 for 8.5 oz so more spendy than GVP, but a very good product. Along with it, I started using the EcoStyler crystal gel, with great results. Sally's, yay!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • curlysue21curlysue21 Posts: 5,219Registered Users
    You all are PJ enablers....ENABLERS I tell you!! I have yet to see this at my local Sally's but I intend to look again. I'm intrigued.

I love the Aldi one-$3.99 for 16 oz.

You must have the "upscale" Aldi's. I have never seen anything but Suave knock-offs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2b/c, medium/high porosity, medium/coarse texture
    Current HG: Kinky Curly errythang, GVPCB, LALSG

"I will never be the woman with perfect hair, who can wear white and not spill on it."

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    So I'm a huge fan of the GVP Biolage conditioning balm. I used it constantly from March through August. It worked great through say June -- instantly detangled my hair, gave great slip, really moisturized my hair and got it in much better shape than before.
    But I started noticing that it was no longer working the same. I'd put it in my hair and my hair would stay really tangled, it didn't detangle easily, and my hair wasn't curling anymore. I kept using it though, for another month. Why does a product stop working? I can't think of any other variables -- it was a dramatic difference in how it worked and felt in my hair. Has anyone had this happen with the GVP??
    So I've switched off, for the time being, using the Aura Naturelle (from Sally's) cherry almond revitalizing conditioner. From the instant it hit my hair, all the tangles dissappeared -- like the GVP used to do -- and I got great hair, all my waves were back from the first time. I don't know why this happens, but I hope I can go back to the GVP at some point. I highly recommend the Aura CO, too. I'm using it to detangle and as a leave-in. Brown tube, about $7 for 8.5 oz so more spendy than GVP, but a very good product. Along with it, I started using the EcoStyler crystal gel, with great results. Sally's, yay!

Maybe you just needed to change co's for a bit. Maybe your hair just got too used to it - or maybe the weather? icon7.gif
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyhairmichuk%2F" class="Popup
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Rozetta, so glad to hear that you are loving the Aura CAB. That's been one of my faves for years, and when I first started using it, it even had a cone in it, but I see that it's been removed. :thumright:

For me, the GVP conditioning balm is meh at this point. To be honest, I get frustrated just trying to get that thick stuff out of the bottle! I absolutely love the quantity/price of the GVP, but what it does for my hair doesn't bowl me over.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    GVP Condition Balm is my go-to cowash. I load it on my ends on soaking hair, then add more water to distrubute through hair. It feels like it foams up this way.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    curls2grow wrote: »
    Rozetta, so glad to hear that you are loving the Aura CAB. That's been one of my faves for years, and when I first started using it, it even had a cone in it, but I see that it's been removed. :thumright:

For me, the GVP conditioning balm is meh at this point. To be honest, I get frustrated just trying to get that thick stuff out of the bottle! I absolutely love the quantity/price of the GVP, but what it does for my hair doesn't bowl me over.

Hiya, C2G! You were the person who recommended the Aura to me, so I finally picked up a tube. It's working great for me, for now. Thank you for the rec! But the GVP was amazing for my hair, for months. I hope it starts working again. Yes, it is very thick and hard to squeeze out of the bottle, so I always leave it upside down. I was really glad to have something I could turn to, though -- the Aura is a nice change. Love the smell! We'll see how long it works for me. I wish I understood why a product just stops working. The knots would simply dissolve the instant the GVP hit my hair; no more. But the Aura does the same thing -- for now. To paraphrase Freud: What does hair want??!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    curlysue21 wrote: »
    You all are PJ enablers....ENABLERS I tell you!! I have yet to see this at my local Sally's but I intend to look again. I'm intrigued.

I love the Aldi one-$3.99 for 16 oz.

You must have the "upscale" Aldi's. I have never seen anything but Suave knock-offs.

I've never been in an Aldi's that doesn't have Shique conditioner, which is their Biolage knock-off. I usually get it for $2.99 - even better. Look for a silvery-gray bottle. I think it has a blue cap.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett