Flat ironing works so much better!

RavenhairbellydancerRavenhairbellydancer Registered Users Posts: 15
when i first stopped relaxing in sept o5 i was worried that i wouldnt be able to wear my hair straight becuz it would be too puffy,, but instead,, my hair is soooo much healthier and it gets just as straight and probably less flat ,, but i i want my hair to look thick,, i have a Solano and a CHI and theyre both excellent :) , i cant believe how i destroyed my poor hair GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Currently Transitioning since Sept 05 ,, hair Type 3b/c,, will NEVER relax again and I want my curls and length back!!! Armpit length in front and nearly bra strap in back, growing and loving having my natural hair back......

Comments

• bubbles76bubbles76 Registered Users Posts: 288
    You may still be destroying your hair if you're using the Chi every day. I hear they can get pretty hot. Too much heat can destroy your hair as much as a relaxer. Be careful, and don't get dependant on the hair tools.

Good luck on the transition!
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
  • curlyplus2curlyplus2 Registered Users Posts: 105
    I can relate ravenhairbellydancer. I have been transitionong for almost a year. I have an FHI flat iron and most recently a Solia. I go back and forth, but I notice without the relaxer my hair does not appear flat and it appears thicker. I'm careful with the flat iron so until I am all natural, I will continue to go back and forth. (curly/straight) Hang in there!
    Hair Type: 3C Natural, 3B Relaxed. I'm transitioning!

Fotki Password: curly
  • foxycus02foxycus02 Registered Users Posts: 918
    I hear ya. Im on my second transition and both times Ive transitioned with rollersets and flat irons. The first was a relaxer. I transitioned for a year and loved my hair both straight and curly. Now Ive been transitioning for 10 months YAY when I got a texturizer gone horribly wrong in september. I dont know what methods other chicks have been using but even with transitioning the flat iron never broke or damaged my hair. Love a good flat iron. I have the digital metropolis with tourmaline plates.

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...

comic-p.jpg
  • SexyCurlyGirlSexyCurlyGirl Registered Users Posts: 9
    hi i am also transitioning but i've only just started to begin about 3 months ago....i was wondering if you guys know why nothing but the hottest flat irons in the Shop work in straighting my hair..i have 4a type hair and everything even ceramic straightners do not work in straighting my hair enough..it is also dry and brittle and doesnt look healthy..any idea's??
    i was doing straight but now i want my curls back...
  • bubbles76bubbles76 Registered Users Posts: 288
    hi i am also transitioning but i've only just started to begin about 3 months ago....i was wondering if you guys know why nothing but the hottest flat irons in the Shop work in straighting my hair..i have 4a type hair and everything even ceramic straightners do not work in straighting my hair enough..it is also dry and brittle and doesnt look healthy..any idea's??

The only ideas I have for you is to stop using heat. Oh, and change your preception of your hair. If your hair doesn't look healthy, why are you still trying to use heat? Heat can be just as damaging as a relaxer. If you are trying to get your hair BONE straight, more than likely you are damaging it. Especially if you are not using any heat protectant. And if nothing but the hottest flat irons in the shop do nothing to straighten your hair, maybe (1) they are not using quality tools to straighten your hair (2) the stylist is not using a good technique or (3)maybe your hair just doesn't want to be straightened. In that case, work with your hair, not against it.

If you hair is dry and brittle, focus on the health of your hair. Deep condition your hair, try protein treatments, and use a daily leave in conditioner. Cut down on the heat treatments. Stop thinking that your hair has to be straight enough...don't treat your hair like it's relaxed.
    Last Relaxer August 15, 2004
    Big Chop April 23, 2006
    event.png
  • soon2bsoon2b Registered Users Posts: 220
    bubbles76 wrote:

If you hair is dry and brittle, focus on the health of your hair. Deep condition your hair, try protein treatments, and use a daily leave in conditioner. Cut down on the heat treatments. Stop thinking that your hair has to be straight enough...don't treat your hair like it's relaxed.

Good Advice!
    event.png

Hair Type: small 3c patch in the center, mostly 4a with a patch of 4b at my temples
    Shampoo: Suave daily clarifying ( when I feel that need)
    Conditioners: AOHSR, MM, olive oil
    Styler/Leave-in: SheaMoisture, Fantasia IC, HNS
  • RainbowCurlsRainbowCurls Registered Users Posts: 21
    I experienced the same thing when I was transitioning.
    I couldn't believe that my hair actually got straighter when I flat ironed it compared to when I was relaxed.
  • CandeeWCandeeW Registered Users Posts: 2
    I started transitioning in August of 2003. I use to constantly cut off pieces of the relaxer. During these times i would keep it mostly straight so as to match the relaxed ends. Finally, when my hair had grown out the relaxer, i became obssessed with the length and body of it when it was straightened and so i use to flat iron a lot. IT ISNT HEALTHY :!: The roots maintained the texture however the ends started to appear straight. My hairdresser taught me that because our hair is so soft, it takes a while for it to regain its texture after straightening. And constantly straightening, w/o giving it time to "breathe" damages the bonds in our hair. So be careful when using a flat iron, it can have the same effect as a relaxer does. (TOO MUCH IS DEFINTATELY TOO DANGEROUS! :evil: )
    Nappturailty...No Lye
    CandeeW :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file