awful hair day:(

wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I don't know what it is but i am having an awful hair day.
Yesterday I bought some coconut oil. I wonder if i went over board on putting it in my hair. It smelled so delicious I couldn't stop myself. Do you think an over load of the oil could be the reason i have barely any curl? I also used honey for the first time yesterday (and today) I can't imagine honey would pull out my curl???
anyone have any ideas?? maybe I'm over conditioned. How do I "undo" over condtioning???

Comments

• NyloracNylorac Posts: 129Registered Users
    Sorry to hear you are having a bad hair day. On the upside, the color looks great!!

Have you shampooed? That is probably what I would do. Good luck dear!
    Chicago 2B, CG since 5/1/09, Med text, top of the head=porous
    Lo-Poo: GTTT
    Co-wash: GTTT/Mop MG
    CO: AOHR,
    AOGPB
    :thumbup:: BB's FSG, Re:Coil, CJCCC, BRHG
    Others: KCCC, KCNT, FOTE, WW Tiare pomade
    Done experimenting.
    My Hair Loves Protein :love5: And BB's FSG!
    http://public.fotki.com/Nylorac/
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How did you use the coconut oil? As a DT? I usually low poo it out after I DT with it...Never had it pull out my curl. Honey either. How much honey?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• The MopThe Mop Posts: 86Registered Users
    Do you usually use honey? It took me a few times before I found the honey routine that worked for my hair. Rinse out with water and honey plus GVP with honey mushed in. Anything else and it's awful.

I used coconut oil this week and shampooed out the next morning with Giovanni 50:50. Nothing too horrible happened, but I was frizzier that day (it was also 100% humidity so take that as you will!)

I would go with some shampoo and follow your normal hair routine tomorrow to see what happens. Maybe it was just a bad hair day. :)
    My hair is insane, porous, fine, thick/dense, 2C/3A depending on the humidity that day.
    shampoo: L'Oreal Sulfate free stuff sometimes
    co-wash: Suave Naturals coconut
    condish: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in: Will try Tresemme Naturals volume (as if I need volume)
    products:
    honey, FOTE AVG=my HG, Noodle Head mousse, HETT

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    thanks for all your input guys. I'm like 99% sure I lo-pooed the co-oil out. But i can tell you I used a lot. I used it as a DT. I mushed it all over my head and my ends. I kept it on for about 30minutes.
    as far as the honey. i used it as a rinse out both days and I put it in with my mop c curl cream. Do you think i over did it?? HELP:)
    Oh and Jess... the coconut expert:) how often should I be using coco oil? once a week as a DT? should i be using it other than that??
    Oh and i just noticed Nylorac... are you from chicago?? I saw you commented on the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] at whole foods in chicago. I live on the northside:)
    Yes, Miss Wavy Wonder, I am from Chicago. I live in North Center. How about you? Since you have been doing this longer, any other good stores on the North Side to buy CG products? :)
    AOGPB
    Done experimenting.
    If you low pooed it out you probably wouldn't be OCd. Even when I was having tons of OCd problems coco oil didn't hurt me. It left me with shiny ringlets actually. I use coco oil as a DT once a week (sometimes more if I've been swimming) and never had a problem. I also use a teensy bit to smooth frizzies and have added it to FSG. My hair loves everything coconut though. Heck if your hair doesn't like it it's also great on toast and can be used instead of butter to cook your eggs and pancakes. It's a huge hit with my kids and sooooo much healthier for all of us.

What is your honey amount? Maybe a rinse and a dab is too much and weighing your hair down. Try just a rinse tomorrow then just a dab the next day and see if either one of those make it better. And maybe it really is just a bad hair day. I get them too.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Oh my gosh you live right down the street from me:) I'm in albany park. So crazy! My husband use to live over in North center on Byron. We love Odonovans and Brownstone. although , now that I have a 2.5 year old we don't get out that much.
    Hmmm, I haven't really bought much local. I went to Whole foods Friday and I was in awe of everything for your hair they have. I was in in heaven, although I only bought honey and coconut oil. It was a hair haven in there:) i'm loving JC CC and RR although i can't use it that often because of the mag sulfate:(
    Jess I'm going to take your advice and use the honey as a wash out and the next day in my styling product. I soooo do not want to give up the coco oil:) my husband never comments on my hair and yesterday he said it looked good. I'm like what do you mean by good, he said lustrous....whatever that means:) he then said it was super shiny. I'll take lustrous. But i felt it looked kinda greasy from the oil.
  • wavyannawavyanna Posts: 26Registered Users
    wavy wonder - bad hair days suck, but.....your waves are looking sooooo lovely! check out that shine:)
    thanks Wavy anna:)
    Oh my gosh you live right down the street from me:) I'm in albany park. So crazy! My husband use to live over in North center on Byron. We love Odonovans and Brownstone. although , now that I have a 2.5 year old we don't get out that much.
    Hmmm, I haven't really bought much local. I went to Whole foods Friday and I was in awe of everything for your hair they have. I was in in heaven, although I only bought honey and coconut oil. It was a hair haven in there:) i'm loving JC CC and RR although i can't use it that often because of the mag sulfate:(
    Jess I'm going to take your advice and use the honey as a wash out and the next day in my styling product. I soooo do not want to give up the coco oil:) my husband never comments on my hair and yesterday he said it looked good. I'm like what do you mean by good, he said lustrous....whatever that means:) he then said it was super shiny. I'll take lustrous. But i felt it looked kinda greasy from the oil.

Oh yes, I used to live closer to Albany Park when I lived in Uptown. We love O'Donnovan's too! I definitely need to make it to the new Whole Foods especially because I have fallen in love with the KC products! :)
    AOGPB
    Done experimenting.
    I want to try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] but not for $35.00 ( i think that is what it goes for) I'll probably try a sample first to see if my hair loves it like everyone else.
    Oh and wanted to add, I am having a really great hair day. I have no clue how or why as I used the same products as the bad hair day. Must be the dews, humidity etc
    [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] is $26 if you can get it at the store but well worth it and lasts a really long time. Kathymack has samples though. I suffest getting 2 samples from her and really giving it a good try as there is a bit of a learning curve.

Just like Jess, I also very much recommend getting some from Kathymack. She gives you a very generous size for the price. I have found I don't need very much for my hair, so the size she gave me is going to probably last me a month.
    AOGPB
    Done experimenting.
    yeah, I was definitely thinking of getting samples from kathymack. Thanks for the reminder!
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 697Registered Users Curl Novice
    Yes, it sounds to me like you overloaded on the coconut oil and honey too, maybe. I have a ton of very thirsty hair, and it loves oils, but when I do a pre-poo with coconut oil, I use maybe 1/2 teaspoon on my whole head. I scrape up little bits from the jar with my fingernail and smooth/scrunch/comb it through. The way you describe it, it sounds as if you used a lot more. It's great for my hair but if I use some as a styler and then I add more later or the next day, it'll eventually build up and make my hair lank and dead looking. It co-washes out for me easily, though, unlike evoo. Honey is tricky and it can really make my hair look and act dead, so I think you just have too much food in your hair! Start fresh and go lighter with them and I'm sure you'll be fine again.

BTW, I really like my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] so far -- but you can also overdo it with that. Start light.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file