Jamaican Castor Oil - Its Scent

ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
I have a bottle of this arriving next week!

While doing a NC search about JCO, I came across several posts regarding the scent...some say nutty, some say smoky, and some say stinky.

Please describe to me how it smells to you. Does its scent linger through out the day? Can the scent be masked with essential oils?

Thanks!
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Smells nutty and doesn't linger at all. I can't smell it unless I stick my nose in the bottle. I've been using it for the last 3 washes. Falling in love again!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Smells like smoke to me kind of like unrefined shea butter. I use it at night only.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    thanks for the replies. :cherry:
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Smells like something I left on the stove too long because I was too busy watching Oprah

Ewww I hated it
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• FleurztyFleurzty Posts: 795Registered Users
    If you think that's bad! Haitian castor oil smells even more raw (stinky). It is goodness in a bottle though. Back home they use it for everything. It is a staple for hair care.
    i received this product today too!

scent in bottle is almost nonexistent, but when i rubbed too much on hand, i could smell the smokiness. i have massaged some onto my scalp, but really don't smell it. i can't wait to see if i can smell it when i apply it to my hair. so far so good.
  • mj11051mj11051 Posts: 407Registered Users
    I love,love, love JBCO I use it in my hair and my feet.It keeps them both so soft.:thumbup:
    mj,

good tip about using on the feet. i am going to try some tonight.

so, i have read that people use the oil as an oil rinse, how else could i use the oil for my hair?
  • mj11051mj11051 Posts: 407Registered Users
    Windflower wrote: »
    mj,

good tip about using on the feet. i am going to try some tonight.

so, i have read that people use the oil as an oil rinse, how else could i use the oil for my hair?

You can use it as a scalp oil makes your hair very soft and thick.
    mj,

thanks again for the tip about using the oil in my feet. i used just a small amount last night, and my feet were a lot softer. will use even more tonight...
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i got my jamaican black castor oil today. i sure hope it works because i'm not in love with the smell... hopefully it will fade.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i got my jamaican black castor oil today. i sure hope it works because i'm not in love with the smell... hopefully it will fade.

how much did you use? i noticed that if i use a tiny amount, the scent isn't too bad. at first, i used too much and...umm...it didn't fade and it was bad.

i did some dry/damp twists tonight with Darcy Madagascar Vanilla Creme with a bit of JBCO. no smell.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Windflower wrote: »
    luvmylocs wrote: »

how much did you use? i noticed that if i use a tiny amount, the scent isn't too bad. at first, i used too much and...umm...it didn't fade and it was bad.

i did some dry/damp twists tonight with Darcy Madagascar Vanilla Creme with a bit of JBCO. no smell.

oh i only used a little and it was at night. it was fine.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    hippychic wrote: »
    Smells like smoke to me kind of like unrefined shea butter. I use it at night only.

That's exactly what I thought when I first tried JBCO. Like shea butter I don't even notice the smell anymore.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file