Is No Poo Drying Anyone Out?

mochalatta408mochalatta408 Registered Users Posts: 214 Curl Neophyte
Hello ladies,

I've been on a modified no-poo routine for about 3 months, and the first few times that I CO-washed my hair looked great! Now it seems to be dry, dull and tangled. The effects are pretty much like I washed with a sulfate shampoo. I CO wash once a week, no sulfate shampoo once a week and rarely wet my hair in between time. Any theories on what happened? Are there any suggestions for good Conditioners to wash with?

Thanks!
3c/4a, thick cottony/silky little spiral curls. Loves moisture, hates cones...www.beijaflornaturals.com

Comments

• natalianatalia Registered Users Posts: 10
    I would say you need to wet your hair more often.

I read once that curly hair needs water and without it for too long it can dry and break. I read that in Oprah's hairdressers book-what's his name- Andre, I think. However, I'm a newbie, maybe a veteran curly hair can be more helpful, but that's my take.
    3a type hair (I think) w/highlights
  • memesmemes Registered Users Posts: 785
    I'm new here but I've been doing the no shampoo thing for several years. I started it because my hair was so dry and I couldn't find anything that helped. The no shampoo routine has worked really well for me. I've found that if my hair feels dry I've probably been using a conditoner or styling product that contains silicones. It seems that every once in a while I manage to buy something and not see the dreaded cones in the ingredient list but invariably my hair starts getting frizzy and kind of dry feeling after just a few days of use. So my suggestion would be to look through all your products and make sure you aren't using anything with ingredients that can build up on your hair.

Memes
    3A, fine but thick, low porosity, low to medium resilience, protein sensitive but not to silk

Favorites: Anything from Curly Kinks...their system is my new holy grail. Still liking Juice Organics Orange and TJ Refresh Conditioners as all purpose co-wash and rinse outs.
  • NaturalRemedyNaturalRemedy Registered Users Posts: 371
    Also your hair needs loooads of moisture to be in tip top condition. As curlyheads our hair gets dry and quick. Right now I am needing to Co-wash daily due to the damage I've done to it (poor hair :( ) Even a quick spirtz of water in the morning over your hair will do it some good.

HTH :wink:
    Mostly 3c and lovin' my curls

This is not a fashion trend, it's not a statement, it's pride for who we are and what we look like. And that is where our true beauty shines.

http://public.fotki.com/cocoalily/
  • embudiniembudini Registered Users Posts: 580
    Maybe your protien sensitive?
    PW: ihaveafotki :toothy2:
    Fotki UPDATED! 12-14-2007
    3A-3B layered-longer-than-shoulder-length-not-really-CG
    Former Tween Scene Columnist
  • mochalatta408mochalatta408 Registered Users Posts: 214 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks ladies,

I believe it is the cones and I do need to wet my hair more often!
    3c/4a, thick cottony/silky little spiral curls. Loves moisture, hates cones...www.beijaflornaturals.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file