We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Does anyone use African Black Soap as a Shampoo?

mergemerge Posts: 100Registered Users
If not what do you use? What the best natural shampoo?
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deeplyenrichedoils.com" class="Popup

"Show me Some Love Check Out My Website"
"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens."

Hair Type: 4a
Products: Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Jamaican Black Castor Oil ,Grape seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and may more.

Comments

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    yes and i love it! it makes any deep treatment you use afterwards work 10x better. i also use chagrin valley shampoo bars.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've never used black soap as a shampoo although I've heard of women using it with success. I've been using baking soda on and off for two years and it cleans my scalp really well and gives good slip to my hair. I use 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1 1/2 cup of warm water.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    I have been tentativly experimenting with this. I have the paste kind. It makes a very gentle lather- very different from sulfate poos.
    I have been tentativly experimenting with this. I have the paste kind. It makes a very gentle lather- very different from sulfate poos.

ooh i have a paste one that i didn't even try yet. can you post a pic of yours please?
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    empressri wrote: »

ooh i have a paste one that i didn't even try yet. can you post a pic of yours please?

Sure.
  • NubianCoilsNubianCoils Posts: 2,149Registered Users
    FYI if your African Black Soap is actually black or contains shea butter, it is not the pure recipe and/or contains dye. It is also supposed to be solid and does not come in liquid form. I'm not saying that the variations are not good or don't work (they might. I've never tried them), but it's not the Original African Black soap created in West Africa. If I was more computer savvy I would post a pic of what it should look like, but alas...:sad3:

It's supposed to be a brownish,whitish, blackish color like someone threw up their oatmeal (it is not pretty). And it should be very easy to break apart into smaller pieces. I have been using it as a facial cleanser and sometimes as a shampoo. As a facial cleanser, for me it's been a miracle. My face is smooth and clear after only using it for two weeks. I also have no complaints of it as a shampoo or body wash. HTH!

There is a picture of what real African Black Soap should look like on butters-n-bars.com
    Defeated the Relaxer: January 2001 :boxing:
    Dreadlocks Since: March 2001
    Cut Dreadlocks: February 2009:afro:

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

Full head of 4a hair!:wav:
    thanks prettycurls, that's the exact one that i have.
    [/B]
  • mergemerge Posts: 100Registered Users
    FYI if your African Black Soap is actually black or contains shea butter, it is not the pure recipe and/or contains dye. It is also supposed to be solid and does not come in liquid form. I'm not saying that the variations are not good or don't work (they might. I've never tried them), but it's not the Original African Black soap created in West Africa. If I was more computer savvy I would post a pic of what it should look like, but alas...:sad3:

It's supposed to be a brownish,whitish, blackish color like someone threw up their oatmeal (it is not pretty). And it should be very easy to break apart into smaller pieces. I have been using it as a facial cleanser and sometimes as a shampoo. As a facial cleanser, for me it's been a miracle. My face is smooth and clear after only using it for two weeks. I also have no complaints of it as a shampoo or body wash. HTH!

There is a picture of what real African Black Soap should look like on butters-n-bars.com

Oh I brought the fake one Thursday (Nubian Hertiage dyed black) and I found out last night through research its the fake one. Yeah I understood you.
    So thanks.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deeplyenrichedoils.com" class="Popup

"Show me Some Love Check Out My Website"
    "Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens."

Hair Type: 4a
    Products: Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, Shea Butter, Jamaican Black Castor Oil ,Grape seed Oil, Coconut Oil, Rosemary Essential Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and may more.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Well that's not exactly ture....for instance Dudu Osun is real black soap, they just add a fragrance to it and press it into bars rather than the free form that you are refering too. Also, the liquid Dudu Osun is just the "real" black soap that is dissolved in distilled water and a preservative is added..at least i think they add one (because of the water).

Real black soap does have some shea butter in it....the problem is that some companies buy the real deal , melt it down and add other stuff to it...including that horrid black dye that stains your wash clothes (i hate that stuff....YUCK!) and then presses it into bars. I guess because it is called "black" soap, they think that people won't buy it because its more brown that black.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • EkuaSoulEkuaSoul Posts: 870Registered Users
    For my first year of being natural, I used the Dudu-Osun liquid version of the black soap. It's more herbal and comes in a shampoo and a conditioner form, but have the same ingedients in both. I really, really like this stuff and I'm thinking of going back to them. I've been noticing some scalp itchiness that oils haven't been helping.

Here'a a pic of the shampoo.

M-314.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    Pure Honey, Shea Butter, Osum (Camwood), Potassium Palkernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Glycerine, Aloe Vera, Lime Juice, Lemon Juice, Neem Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Water and Fragrance.
    EkuaSoul - Ninja PJ :batman:
    AyurNatural Beauty
    Facebook | Blog | Hair

• LynneryLynnery Posts: 303Registered Users
    Yep! I do and I love it!

event.png
    Last relaxer-3/16/08
    Type 4a thick hair
    www.fotki.com/cluelessaka updated March 2010

event.png

Well that's not exactly ture....for instance Dudu Osun is real black soap, they just add a fragrance to it and press it into bars rather than the free form that you are refering too. Also, the liquid Dudu Osun is just the "real" black soap that is dissolved in distilled water and a preservative is added..at least i think they add one (because of the water).

Real black soap does have some shea butter in it....the problem is that some companies buy the real deal , melt it down and add other stuff to it...including that horrid black dye that stains your wash clothes (i hate that stuff....YUCK!) and then presses it into bars. I guess because it is called "black" soap, they think that people won't buy it because its more brown that black.

What I meant by the statement I bolded was, when the soap was first created/made (like upteen years ago) it did not contain shea butter or dyes or fragrance. This is not to say that if your soap is not the original recipe it is not good. And it doesn't mean that just because it's made by Africans it's the original recipe. I also did not mean that if it contains dye, fragrance, or shea butter it's not real African Black Soap. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am simply stating they just didn't stick to the original recipe. For example, my grandmother has the best red velvet cake recipe hands down in my opinion. I have tweeked it a bit, but that doesn't mean my cake isn't good. It's just not the same original recipe she made.

Also, FYI the original recipe was quite simple. It contained: roasted cocoa pods, plantain skin, ash, palm oil, water.

Holy Grails:
    Amla and Bhringraj are the TRUTH, HE LTR Conditioner is the BIDNESS, Shea butter, Honey, Jamican Black Castor Oil

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No prob NubianCoils...I gotcha! But I agree that the stuff with the dye in it is just BOGUS.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    No prob NubianCoils...I gotcha! But I agree that the stuff with the dye in it is just BOGUS.

Thanks for understanding! I reread my post and I can see how I could have been misunderstood. And while I haven't tried the black dyed stuff, a friend of mine has and she said it made her whole wash clothe black and her bath water too.:pukeright:

Holy Grails:

• anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users

Thanks for understanding! I reread my post and I can see how I could have been misunderstood. And while I haven't tried the black dyed stuff, a friend of mine has and she said it made her whole wash clothe black and her bath water too.:pukeright:

yes, i made the mistake of trying to use sheamoisture african black soap with a washcloth. the cloth is still stained 12 washes later even with color safe bleach! so i just lather in my hands and use it. i've been using the sheamoisture brand for 8 months, and it's cleared up my acne. i didn't realize until you all posted that the black was a dye. i just figured it was the potash, so i'm a tad bit concerned about that. but the lump black soap just doesn't look like i should use it on any part of my body. but i just wanted to share my experience.
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    Good thread, my family got some of this stuff and we have been using it as soap. It's not a paste, it's in solid form but malleable. Says it's made with palm oil and palm kernel oil and water. I'll try it as shampoo. But then again, I wonder if the dye will stain hair if you did get some of the dyed stuff?

The tub I have is like a deep brown color so they probably did use some dye.
    I wish they hadn't, there are put some chunks of it kept on the side of the bathtub and I keep having to do double takes, thinking one of my animals did a poo. The look of it grosses me out.
    Good thread, my family got some of this stuff and we have been using it as soap. It's not a paste, it's in solid form but malleable. Says it's made with palm oil and palm kernel oil and water. I'll try it as shampoo. But then again, I wonder if the dye will stain hair if you did get some of the dyed stuff?

I wish they hadn't, there are put some chunks of it kept on the side of the bathtub and I keep having to do double takes, thinking one of my animals did a poo. The look of it grosses me out.

:laughing2: My husband made me put mine in one of my hair product containers cause it looked like a big loogy on the edge of the sink. I have nothing but good things to say about how this soap works. My skin (especially my face) has cleared up and looks great so I would use it if it looked like someone's colon and smelled like buttcrack (yeah, that's right. I will do just about ANYTHING to stay cute). I just really wish there was some kind of way for it NOT to look so horribly nasty....

Holy Grails:

• anonymous_4926anonymous_4926 Posts: 678Registered Users

:laughing2: My husband made me put mine in one of my hair product containers cause it looked like a big loogy on the edge of the sink. I have nothing but good things to say about how this soap works. My skin (especially my face) has cleared up and looks great so I would use it if it looked like someone's colon and smelled like buttcrack (yeah, that's right. I will do just about ANYTHING to stay cute). I just really wish there was some kind of way for it NOT to look so horribly nasty....

:sign5: too funny! i always enjoy your posts nubiancoils
    natural since 1998. trying to adapt to this midwest weather while still keeping it simple. current length: MBL (stretched)

www.fotki.com/curlymami
    pw: enter
    curlymami wrote: »

:sign5: too funny! i always enjoy your posts nubiancoils

Awww!!:oops: You made my day! :sunny:

Holy Grails:

oh gawd it doesn't look THAT bad!!! lol mine looks like a little oatmeal cake. it smells like bubbles too! well to my nose at least. i like the scent of black soap when it lathers.
    [/B]
    empressri wrote: »
    oh gawd it doesn't look THAT bad!!! lol mine looks like a little oatmeal cake. it smells like bubbles too! well to my nose at least. i like the scent of black soap when it lathers.

Hmmm, not sure what kind of African Soap you have but mine looks like someone's vomit after entering a "how much oatmeal, raisins, and flour can you eat" contest. And after it gets wet, it looks I took some of my cats "gifts" he leaves in the kitty litter box and greased it with vasaline. Mine doesn't have a smell, though. And that's where I count myself lucky cause it's just best for something that looks like this to remain unscented.:shock:

Holy Grails:

• TOtallyartisticTOtallyartistic Posts: 1Registered Users
    I use African Black Soap for my hair and for my skin. Black Soaps are dfferent depending of their origins. the one i use is made from vegetal ashes and essentially plantain's. I dilute it in hot water, add a lil bit of coconut oil and shake (my mum adds shea butter to hers but i prefer coconut oil). It leaves my hair soft and clean and my skin shiny. It is 100% natural and less expensive that shampoos that sometimes leave my hair dry.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,307Registered Users
    I get my shea butter and soap from coastal scents. Is that stuff legit?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    My friend was telling me today how much she likes black soap to wash her hair and I told her I don't. After reading this I realize maybe I didn't have real deal because I bought that Nubian Heritage stuff that was black.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file