flat on top, curly underneath

bernadetbernadet Posts: 10Registered Users
I've been doing the CG thing for about three weeks now and loving it. The problem is that all the hair underneath the top layer gets great curls, even some spirals. But all the stuff on top lays pretty flat. Is that just the result of damage and will improve with time, or will I have to keep helping the top to curl more? I'd be so grateful for any ideas on products and/or actions to bring out the curl on the top layer? Thanks!

Comments

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are a few techniques that could help you. The icequeen method helps encourage the curl and so does plopping and pixiecurl diffusing upside down. Have you tried any of these? I really get more curl from curl creams like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and Ohm Sweet Hair Pudding.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may always have to help it out - it may just be your hair. Mine is a little straighter on the top. My niece's is very straight on top and very curl underneath - very difficult to work with!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • bernadetbernadet Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks for the insight, Jess the Mess and auntnett. I don't know what the ice queen method is. Can you explain? I am plopping and/or pixie curling with diffuser and using Flax Seed Gel. Maybe I should try a curl cream.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's a link to the icequeen method. HTH
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=69033
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Have you had any sort of haircut since going CG

The hair on your canopy is far more exposed to the elements than the underlayers. Sometimes a trim is required to get rid of the damaged hair. Along with more moisture and protein depending on your texture.

That being said, as has previously been mentioned, sometimes you have more than one curl type on your head and you just have to spend more time on your canopy.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • bernadetbernadet Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thanks, all. I 'm grateful for your help.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ah, the flat canopy dilemma.

I resolved mine by perming. Then I got sick of perming. I'm finding CG products, plopping, diffusing and layering are helping, but my two types of hair will probably never match without chemical assistance.

Sigh. It's a conundrum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file