Do you belong to a different political party than your parents?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm curious to know if you have switched political parties from how you were brought up and why.
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was born and raised in a typical Catholic, conservative, filipino household. My parents, my dad most especially, are Republicans. Ever since high school I've identified more with the more liberal parties. I've been a registered Democrat, Green, and am currently not with any party.

My viewpoints are much more liberal than my parents and I don't see the Republian party as being very accepting of that.
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My parents are republicans (and I am definitely NOT), but we never discuss it. My parents are blue-collar middle-class folks, also atheist like me, but the republican party was different when I was growing up...it was before the christian evangelicals got a stranglehold on the party. I think they stay republican now just out of habit.

I do clash with my younger brother though. He's very into the white-rich-christian-racist part of the Republican party, and I find that so offensive. He calls me a "liberal" as if it's an insult. I have enjoyed the hell out of Obama winning ...especially since northern Virgina (where my brother lives) went blue for Obama. Heh heh heh...
  • curlyjeancurlyjean Posts: 72Registered Users
    It's really kind of strange, I was raised Catholic and pretty conservative. My mom was very Catholic, but she has always had a wonderfully open mind and raised us the same. My dad is pretty hard-core "it's my way or the highway".
    Anyhow, they always voted Republican.

Now that I am older and especially since my kids were born, I have become a tad more conservative and my parents are becoming much more liberal! I always thought it went the other way! However, I haven't considered myself Catholic since I left home at 20 and I don't do any organized religion at all. Just doesn't work for me.

I really don't identify with either Republican or Democrat, but my parents are going more Dem. But, we all get along and they respect my decision to leave the religion and not always agree with their politics. I respect them and their opinions and we do agree on many things. My dad will always think he is right though, no matter what...heh heh. Gotta love that big lug!
    3a/3b and fighting frizz!

Hair hates: Jessicurl RR and CC (FRIZZ!)

Hair loves: Anything Curl Junkie, KathyMack soap bars, KBB milk, nectar and hair mask, Giovanni Leave-In conditioner, CLU cloths, my heavenly silk pillowcase and my bone comb with wide and fine tooth ends.

Happiness comes and goes, but joy resides in the soul, always. It is the soul's natural state and our job, as human beings, is to reside there as well.
  • That70sHeidiThat70sHeidi Posts: 34Registered Users
    My parents were the poster-children for me being a liberal - Mom was small mountain town, Methodist, Republican, and dad was Philly-raised, Jewish, and Democrat. He was an engineer, she was a secretary; he was 5 years younger. She even dumped him once because she didn't think their families would ever approve or get along.

Needless to say, that wasn't the case. The families loved each other and here we are!

I've been registered Green and Independent. Recently my brother, who really takes after our mom in a lot of ways (I'm almost exactly like my dad) registered as a Democrat. We were shocked, I was delighted :)
    2A/B, F, i - thinning on top due to meds
    Above-shoulder length, can't plop!
    Using: VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Cond (cowash), LA Looks Mega Hold gel
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, but my mom used to be liberal, so we used to be in agreement on most stuff.

She's gotten so vehement in her beliefs, we cannot even discuss politics at all. It started with the abortion issue, which was one thing, but then she started listening to the inflammatory talk radio. Now she just parrots those people constantly. I don't think she knows how to think for herself anymore. Or doesn't want to. It's pretty sad.

When my dad was alive, he was more libertarian than anything. While we didn't agree on a lot of stuff, we managed to have some good discussions of the issues, which was nice.
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    We're pretty well aligned... not by party, necessarily, since I've never aligned myself with a party (though my mother hasn't either; my father is a Democrat), but our beliefs all line up pretty neatly. We don't talk about it very often because it's a little boring... we all basically agree!

My brother is a different story. At times he's proclaimed himself a Republican, which just broke my heart, though my mother and my sister swear he was kidding/trying to get my goat. He succeeded.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • EfrizzabethEfrizzabeth Posts: 8,792Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know how my mom votes, or if she even does, but I'm pretty sure my dad votes R. I vote D. I think one bro might be D too. I wouldn't doubt my sis is R with the way she was talking in the fall. :roll:
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom is republican. She watches Fox News (shudder). My dad is Democrat.

I am democrat. I think its just a matter of who got to me first. I mean I was talking politics with our democrat nanny in grade school. My mom NEVER once talked politics unless I brought it up. However, I don't believe anyone swayed me...I was just kinda born liberal.
  • AmandacurlsAmandacurls Posts: 6,252Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My mom was a democrat (both her parents were/are die-hard democrats), my dad is a republican. I was a democrat in college, but changed my political affliation to republican soon after graduating.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I was younger, I had a set of "one of each" parents. Now they are both Dems since my Dad switched over. I'm a Dem.

My brother is a fiscal/defense Rep, and my sister is an evangelical Rep.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My father has always been a republican. My mom used to be a democrat (a conservative democrat) but switched to republican in the '80's I think. She is actually a moderate republican and does consider what the democrat candidate has to say. She is pro-life and I think that's why she doesn't like the democratic party too much.
    As a teenager, I was republican and a strong born-again Christian.
    When I went to college, although a conservative college, I ironically went more liberal. Maybe to rebel against them, heh! I don't associate myself with a party, but tend to vote democrat more. I think once I started questioning my religious views, my political views fell in line.
    One brother is independent, but his wife is democrat (a die-hard democrat-- who is pro-life though). My other brother is republican,I think.
    My hubby is a moderate republican. He'll consider a democrat, but tends to lean more conservative. He was "disappointed" in me for voting for Obama-- he he.
    He liked Bill Clinton, though. Go figure.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My parents are Democrat. My mother is die-hard and I think she votes for Democrats only because they are Democrat. Most of her family was Democrat but now two of her sisters are Republican and one of her other sisters votes for either party, dependent upon the candidate.

I consider myself to be an Independent who tends to vote more Democrat because of social issues. On financial issues, though, I think I side more with Republicans. However, it is difficult for me to just vote for someone solely because of his or her party, unlike my mother.
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    No. We are all on the right, but to different degrees.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's funny because growing up parents were the poster folks for black republicans....that was until the Regan era. And then they discovered that "trickle down" was republican speak for "pissed on". Now, they are the poster folks for being Democrats, although still a bit on on the consevative side of things.

Me....I'm so far to the left that its not even funny...so we have some very lively debates/discussions when i go home.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my mother and grandmother were republicans. i even remember going to republican conventions while growing up. i even gave an opening speech at one convention held in nj in the early 90's.

some of the members of my father's side of the family are republican because they are either religious, wealthy or military.

i'm a democrat. my mother finally switched, very late to vote for obama.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Yes...my mother was always registered as a Democrat. I think my grandparents (father's side) were Republicans. Me- I'm not registered with any political party. I just vote for whomever I feel is the best candidate for each election.

But overall, I'm not that much into politics...at least not for the presidential election. Yes- it's the highest position and a very important job, but there are other important political jobs too. I think it's also important for people to pay more attention to local issues in their own hometown. How many ppl who vote in the presidential election can accurately name who the mayor in their town is?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I asked the question because I had one parent a Dem. and one a Rep. (They divorced but that's another story LOL). I think it helped me be open minded. I know many people who are rigidly one way or the other and they always insist the "others" are stupid morons. All (fill in the blanks) are idiots, jerks, brainless etc.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I am registered Green.

My father is a democrat and my mother recently became a citizen (last year!! :usa2:) and I believe that she registered as Dem.

My father is very into the voting process. My garage has been a polling place my whole life. I have even helped out a couple of years (until my employers got cheap and stopped paying for stuff like that [even jury duty... I work at a law firm!!!].
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • TK*TK* Posts: 885Registered Users
    My mother is a rep. My dad is a dem.

I've never voted but I'm a liberal.
    I'm "TechKnockout" now.
  • VanedaVaneda Posts: 402Registered Users
    My parents, grandparents, and most of my extended family are Dems.

My husband's family consists entirely of evangelical Republicans.

They blame me for my hubbys transformation into a liberal. :icon_smile:
    2/b-2/c - I shampoo daily with non-sulfate shampoos - right now am *loving* L'Oreal Everpure shampoo and conditioner
    For styling: homemade flax seed gel, Curl Keeper, and/or KCCC
    Current favorite product: *KCCC*!!

• violaviola Posts: 224Registered Users
    A lot of parents switched during the 80s/Reagan era, didn't they? On both sides. Mine went from Rep. to Dem. I was moderate Dem when I was young voting age. Nowadays I'm quite a bit to the left of the Dems.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My family was very active in state politics, and I've had family members serve in the state House of Representatives as Dems. My father remains a Dem, while my mother began voting for the GOP several years ago.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    When I was growing up neither of my parents went to church and neither of them was registered to vote. I was raised a Catholic but am now an atheist. I registered to vote right out of high school and became very active in politics.
    I am a registered Democrat but am far left of that. I've worked on many campaigns from local to national. After I got involved politically, my parents both registered as Democrats to vote for one of my local candidates and they have voted in every election since.

My husbands/boyfriends have all been liberal Democrats until now. Mr. Harley and I never discuss politics because we know we would probably break up. We are both very opinionated and bullheaded. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • notyouraveragecurlnotyouraveragecurl Posts: 193Registered Users
    My mother is registered as Republican, and my father as Democrat. A lot of people find it funny because my mother is latin and black and my father white and very...erm...American. :toothy6: Obviously such ideas are just stereotypes but it's all in good fun.

I myself am libertarian. Hoo-ha! :mrgreen:
    There is a phenomenal amount of beauty in self-acceptance. <3
  • zebrateacherzebrateacher Posts: 9Registered Users
    Raised a democrat...always a democrat! Thank goodness!
  • Ryfrie21Ryfrie21 Posts: 40Registered Users
    Right wing conservative Republican born and raised (THANK GOODNESS). Probably more so than my parents. I'm a member of College Republicans as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file