Has this happened to anyone?!?!

MikelMikel Posts: 26Registered Users
Okay, so going into class one day, this girl was talking about her (straight) hair, which she thought was "curly".... so I pointed to one of my friends, a kid with a full blown afro and explained that his hair was curly, and so was mine, and the hair of 4 of my other buddies. Now, there seems to actually be a lot of guys at my school with very curly hair, and we sort of have our own group (not based on our hair though, we're just friends). I seem to have the loosest curls of our group, but they're still thick and nice. But what really got me is when she said to me "What!? Your hair isn't curly! It's just an ugly mess of frizz and weird layers!" ...........her hair is all dry and brushed like crazy... and I take good care of mine.... I was very insulted!

I seem to have quite a large & voluminous blend of 2C, 3A and 3B hair.

Comments

• Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mikel wrote: »
    Okay, so going into class one day, this girl was talking about her (straight) hair, which she thought was "curly".... so I pointed to one of my friends, a kid with a full blown afro and explained that his hair was curly, and so was mine, and the hair of 4 of my other buddies. Now, there seems to actually be a lot of guys at my school with very curly hair, and we sort of have our own group (not based on our hair though, we're just friends). I seem to have the loosest curls of our group, but they're still thick and nice. But what really got me is when she said to me "What!? Your hair isn't curly! It's just an ugly mess of frizz and weird layers!" ...........her hair is all dry and brushed like crazy... and I take good care of mine.... I was very insulted!

sounds like she's in denial about her hair. Nothing I can really say here besides get used to it. Some people are going to love your hair, some are going to hate your hair, and others are going to secretly wish they had your hair but trash talk it anyways to make themselves feel better. Sorry it happened to you but it won't be the last time.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • CandycaneCandycane Posts: 291Registered Users
    if thats u in the pic-u have really nice hair. shes just pissed cause she has dry flat ironed hair.
  • MikelMikel Posts: 26Registered Users
    I guess so, and yes, that's me, thank you!

• sassysuzannesassysuzanne Posts: 501Registered Users
    I love your hair...its very 'Ramones'......

I don't think she even has a clue.....
    Suzanne

3b/fine/porous/dry/still trying to figure out density...:confused:

• sicapoohsicapooh Posts: 7Registered Users
    I hardly every post.... but i HAD to let you know... you're hair is AWESOME, that girl is CRAZY!
  • oceanwavesoceanwaves Posts: 7Registered Users
    that girl must be crazy >_<
    i love ur hair and am kind of jealous
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    i had a summer roomate in college one year, and she always relaxed/ straightened her hair. since i can go back and forth easily, people dont really know if my hair is naturally str8 or curly. one day i went curly cause i didnt want to flat iron for 2 hours and she accused me of not really being curly because i had to section my hair up and apply tons of gel. i was like, ummm, are we both look at my hair here?! obviously, it is curly, but she didnt understand why i had to go thru all the fuss of applying gel, scrunching, squeezing out the water, applying more gel, scrunching, etc.

some people wont ever get it!!!

p.s. ur hair is pretty :). i feel like twirling it in my fingers!! :toothy10:
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    This might be just me, and while I agree that your hair IS great and definitely qualifies as curly, I don't think I would've pointed out that her hair is not curly but that 6 people around her do have curly hair.

I think she said what she said because she might have felt embarrassed and cornered, a bit. Not that she was right.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • AlannahAngelAlannahAngel Posts: 529Registered Users
    She obviously doesn't know what curly hair is if she called your hair frizzy and ugly. Your hair rocks! People tend to believe that if their hair isn't poker straight and has the loosest wave to it, it's curly and unruly! But if she does have curly hair but it looks brushed out, then she's the one who doesn't know how to care for her hair. Some people are just retards who comment on other people nasty to make them self feel better. Don't listen to it =\
    ~ BIG *sexy* CURLS ~
    ~~~
    Conditioner/Co-wash/Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Nutri Repair/Organic Instinct
    Styler: Garnier Fructis 24-H
    ~~~

• ~GypsyCurls~~GypsyCurls~ Posts: 351Registered Users
    She was probably embarrassed and wanted to throw some attention on someone else :/

Your hair is awesome-you look like a rock star!
    2c/3a/3b curls, tailbone length, fairy tale ends
    Cleansers: V05 Co
    Conditioners: KMS Everyday, Dove Dry Oil Care

DT/Treats:Aphogee Protein Treat/Hemp/Argan Oil
    Leave-ins/Stylers: All HE Condish, Generic PM The Conditioner

• CupidCupid Posts: 18Registered Users
    she's either jealous or insecure . :)
    Wow! I didn't expect this kind of feedback?! Thank you all for the wonderful compliments! I really appreciate your kindness and understanding!

• aburdetteaburdette Posts: 26Registered Users
    pfffft. i LOVE it when girls with hair that has the slightest wave in it call it CURLY. girl, please. you WISH YOU HAD CURLY HAIR!:laughing7:
    3b/4a very fine, avg/high porosity curly looking to GAIN LENGTH!
    open to learning all i can from this site and others' advice!!!:read2:
    currently shoulder-length :cry:
    DESPERATELY wanna be BSL!!
    taking: GNC Ultra Nourish Hair
    starting CG routine again :thumright:
    co wash and leave-in: Suave Naturals Coconut (but i've tried them all!)
    condish: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    wanting to try: various oils
    :director:PUTTING MY HEAT ADDICTION ON HOLD!
    CG & (almost) no heat since 6/14/09

• Curlie LocksCurlie Locks Posts: 40Registered Users
    LOL! I think its HILARIOUS when girls with the slightest wave to thier hair automatically think thier hair is curly!
    Lemme guess did her hair look like the attachment below?

I just usally tell them: There are some stupid people in this world. You just helped me realize it. *i pick up a strand of hair* Honey, this is curly hair!
    3a/b Miii
    Good Elasticity
    Long Hair(Half Way Down back when curly)

:toothy2:

I am a dimpled curly haired lunatic! :fish:

Yeah, it pretty much looked like that..... Now she rolls her hair, so it has these two big annoying fake twists, that she calls her "locks". They look like awkward pigtails!

• gabbbbbbygabbbbbby Posts: 5Registered Users
    In my school, there are about less than 5 people who have curly hair [who didn't get them rebonded]..I'm one of them. Yeah, I've received a lot of insults...but in the end, I find out they're just jealous [and some even want to get perms themselves.] Haha! :thumbright:

By the way, I looove your hair. 8-)
  • Auntie BubbsAuntie Bubbs Posts: 1,068Registered Users
    She sounds like she need hair help. Mikel, you should give her the web site address for naturallycurly.com :)

And btw, your hair is very cool. I don't know very many guys who have the guts to embrace their curly hair. Alot of girls dig curly hair on guys!!!
    That's me with FSG as my styler!!

3b. fine & thick, coarse, dry, medium porosity. Sucks up product and loves ACVs! FSG is my HG!

Currently using:
    Low Poo: TJ's Refresh No Poo: CoWash w/VO-5; Sonoma Soap Company sulfate-free poo
    RO: Yes to Cuc; SSC Lavender Condish; Sally GVP LI: Donna Marie Miracle D&C
    Style: FSG w/Aussie Instant Freeze & CIAB
    Hmmm, I guess you're right. I mean, I do get compliments on my hair pretty often, especially since it's natural and healthy.

• sillyelliesillyellie Posts: 63Registered Users
    She sounds like she need hair help. Mikel, you should give her the web site address for naturallycurly.com :)

And btw, your hair is very cool. I don't know very many guys who have the guts to embrace their curly hair. Alot of girls dig curly hair on guys!!!

yes they do! Alot of my celeb crushes happen to be jewish boys with the curly fro. Even youngster Adam Sevani from step up 2, that boy can dance! And the curl denial boys that straighten, aka joe bro jonas, irritate me to a crazy extent.
  • godgavemecurls82godgavemecurls82 Posts: 158Registered Users
    ugh, when i was in high school, teenage girls like that would get under my skin. they are fake and pathetic. and they are drama. just keep your head up high and take care of your curls as you watch her hair fall out, or get thinner and dryer every semester. you have gorgeous curls! i want to reach out and touch them. they look soft. but i know thats the no.1 curly hair no-no. anyway, i use to have one girl tell me almost every other day "you need to tame your mane" and she would try to hand me a brush. anyway, that girl moved away to become a dancer and eventually became kobe bryant's wife. however, my husband never cheated on me and try to lie about it and his business didn't blasted or attacked over the news. hahahahaha
    anyway, just keep your head up high and keep doing right by others.:toothy8:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thickcurlygurlythickcurlygurly Posts: 230Registered Users
    Your hair is amazing!!!!!
    conditioner: GVP conditioning balm
    leave in co: GVP conditioning balm

And my hair hates avg :happy3:

Yes I consider myself obsessed with my hair. :happy7:
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    wow, people are really rude. Just because someone has wavy hair it doesn't mean it's not really curly. How can someone define where curly starts?
    I don't think I would've pointed out that her hair is not curly but that 6 people around her do have curly hair.

I think she said what she said because she might have felt embarrassed and cornered, a bit. Not that she was right.

ITA. if someone told me my hair wasn't curly, I would be kicking their ass, not being all oh I've seen the light! thanks for imparting me with your wisdom! you bet I'd be attacking them in something that obviously matters.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • sillyelliesillyellie Posts: 63Registered Users
    ugh, when i was in high school, teenage girls like that would get under my skin. they are fake and pathetic. and they are drama. just keep your head up high and take care of your curls as you watch her hair fall out, or get thinner and dryer every semester. you have gorgeous curls! i want to reach out and touch them. they look soft. but i know thats the no.1 curly hair no-no. anyway, i use to have one girl tell me almost every other day "you need to tame your mane" and she would try to hand me a brush. anyway, that girl moved away to become a dancer and eventually became kobe bryant's wife. however, my husband never cheated on me and try to lie about it and his business didn't blasted or attacked over the news. hahahahaha

Lol oh my gosh you went to hs with kobes wife? haha wow, thats funny cause her ass is always trying to rock the big curls and most of the time they look flat and dull.
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users

Hehehe karma's fun. I just hope she as gotten a little more educated and kinder about curls for her beautiful daughters' sake.
  • rinloveescurls:Drinloveescurls:D Posts: 14Registered Users
    the way i see it is if anybody that has TRIED to get their hair to curl and then criticises YOUR natural, curly hair, has failed and is jealous.

don't listen to people like that girl, your hair's amazing.
  • ChAoTiCbLiSsChAoTiCbLiSs Posts: 127Registered Users
    She was embarrased because you corrected her statement. So she acted childish and tried to turn the attention to you.

I am sorry you were the target of her stupid comments, but DO NOT take them to heart. Your curls look great! Chalk her comments up to stupidity! :)
    3b/2b/3c mix
    ~no heat, sulfates, silicones, mineral oil or petrolatum~
    CURLS, My Honey Child , KCKT, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, & Elasta QP Feels Like Silk
  • AmundAmund Posts: 5Registered Users
    Dude, just do what I do. Call her a stupid bint, then tell her she has more splits then Hollywood relationships.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file