help me please

JamieVJamieV Posts: 158Registered Users
Hey girls! I have not posted on here in a loooong time. Its been close to 2 years that I started do the modified CG (with sulphate free poo) And I think I am to the point where I want to give up. It really did make my hair curlier, but as its gotten longer, its stringier, dryer and frizzy frizzy frizzy. I am so tired of hanging onto this CG thing and feeling like my hair looks bad.
I am thinking about switiching over to something (that maybe takes care of frizz control) and adds a silky smoothness to the natural waves that I do have.
Does anyone recommend anything? I wondered if I should try a line of products made for curls & go back to cones and sulphates. Please help.
2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy

Comments

• finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
    Aw, bless your heart, that sucks.

What is your routine and what products are you currently using? I know the experts here (I am NOT an expert...lol) will want to know that information first before they can offer advice.
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

• JamieVJamieV Posts: 158Registered Users
    its funny cuz I kind of thought of myself as an expert at one time but lately its just not doing what it used to and I am clueless. (I am pregant now too but it was frizzing before that)
    I use giovanni triple tea treat and the V-05 co (the kinds with no proteins) and Naturelle gel from Sally's. I love that gel. Somtimes I throw in the Devacurl one condish or low poo, but I am not a huge fan of how they are on my hair.
    I also do a baking soda rinse once every week and a half or two weeks.
    I guess my main thing is, it just does not feel soft and shiny anymore. So I am thinking of going back to cones, especially since the longer it gets, the less curly it is and I am not as concerned about curl definition as I used to be.
    2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It very well could be your hormones that are shaking things up. My hair texture was completely different both times I was pregnant. Are you ACVing after your baking soda rinse? Maybe you need a thicker condish like GVP conditioning balm from Sally's or AOHR. Also if you don't mind losing a little curl I get much less frizz when I style with conditioner or creamy products like the Komaza coconut Line or Blended Beauty. They could really help get your hair soft and shiny again.

If you do want to fall off the bandwagon and try a different curl line this Ouidad offer caught my eye the other day.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Well, I never do an ACV rinse at the same time as baking soda, I think it would dry it out even more. (but i do them on different days) But thanks, maybe i will try some of the stuff you mentioned.
    I went to walmart today though and bought some curly hair products with cones in it. I am going to see if it makes a difference.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I agree with Jess that it might be hormones that are playing naughty tricks with your curls. The other possibility might be that the longer your hair is getting, it is craving more moisture. From the products you listed, none of them seem to have good, rich, moisture-laden ingredients. Do you do DT's often? That might help as well. I'm afraid that if your hair is already dry, then using cones and then shampooing with sulfates will only further dry your hair.

I'm not trying to discourage you from trying a line with cones and sulfates, if that's the route you want to go. It's just that there are also many lovely options in the more natural lines that you might want to look into like KBB, Curl unkie, Komaza, etc.

Good luck with whichever route you choose. :sunny:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I guess that was my problem, I didnt know what else to add that could give me moisture and stay CG....
    That makes sense with length it needing more moisture.
    I think its partly hormones too but before I was pregnant I had started to notice this trend...
    I was so te,pted to straighten it but my husband loves my curls and I only kept doing it for him. So thats why I decided to do something drastic and try cones again.
    BUT its definitely not the end of the world for me...if I just don't see a difference, I can go back to CG easily.
    y the way...what is DT's?
    SOrry, I can't remember what everything stands for....its been awhile since I have been on here;)
    Thanks for all the advice everyone.
    I'm sorry, DT is deep treatment. I know when I start to grow out my hair it needs extra deep treatments and loads of moisture. I rationalize that with fewer trims, the hair is on my head longer, especially towards the ends, and so it requires even more moisture than I already normally would use. Does that make sense?

Another thought, alot of us here have been experiencing odd hair days due to the transition between winter and spring. I don't know where you live, but here in the mid-atlantic and northeastern states, we had a horribly cold and dry winter and it sucked the life out of my hair, for sure. The usual stuff was not working and I was getting desperate. So, I understand your frustration.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That was my problem....I could never find a good deep treatment (for CG) and I never did them! That could be a big reason...and yes this Ohio weather does make my hair act crazy with the change of seasons.
    In an earlier post, you said you used some Deva products. Have you tried the Heaven in Hair? I don't use Deva products, but some here rave about the Heaven in Hair for deep treatments.

I really love the Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment. I put that on and sit under the bonnet dryer for 30 minutes and it makes my hair incredibly soft.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Congrats on your pregnancy! :) I'm an L&D nurse, and I can tell you, pregnancy can do all sorts of wonky things to your hair. I know you said you'd noticed it before you were pg, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that a good portion of what you're experiencing IS hormonal.

I'm so glad you posted this, though, because I totally forgot about Deva HIH for a DT (I'm in search of a DT). I was going to order [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Weekly-Deep-Conditioning-Treatment-p-106.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-weekly-deep-conditioner-treatment]JC WDT[/buylink], but I can just run to Ulta and grab the Deva stuff. Yay.
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

Struttswife suggests an ACV after baking soda to close the cuticle. You can read more about it here. This could be a huge part of your problem.

http://livecurlylivefree.com/home%20remedies.htm#Baking_Soda_Clarification

I would definitely get a thicker condish as a rinse out and do a few DTs before you give up. I also love the Jessicurl DT...more than any other I tried including Heaven in Hair and Curl Junkie Rehab.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Thanks again for all the ideas and tips everyone:) When you start this CG stuff, there is so much info overload, I think I had to narrow it down in my head before I went insane (a routine that works for me) then you kind of close your eyes to the other stuff you can do and then forget.
    I'll have to read more about ACV after BS...I never knew that would be ok. But I love the shine ACV gives me.
    And of course no matter what, its worth it all, being pregnant:) I was on here last year and had lost my baby at 13 weeks and had talked about it a lot in the pregnancy forum. So anyway, I am happy to be expecting again:) 20 weeks now....
    Well congrats on making it past the "danger zone". Babies are sooooo worth it all...heck mine turned my hair curly :) Even now that mine are school age I still think of them as my babies.

Yes...I love babies:) Both of my girls have straight hair (except one has a patch of crimpy waves in the back under the top layer. So I am hoping this one will have my curls and waves:) And I sure hope it wont' make MY hair less curly. More curly is fine with me!
    Both mine are straighties too. My son's hair was wavy a few years ago when I grew it long but it was more because of his coarse texture and layers not really curl. My daughter's hair is just straight. She is jealous of my curly hair and hopes that she'll end up like me and turn curly one day. I had straight hair until I had my kids. Tells you how much hormones can change your hair, huh?

My oldest son had curls at birth, but after his first haircut they were all gone (he had to have his first cut at 3 mos. old).

One of the gals I work with had stick straight hair until she got pg. Now she has waves that look like she slept in a braid overnight. LOL.

I just wanted to post an update. This entire week I was using stuff with silicones and sulphates and not only is my hair still frizzy, its getting nasty little white flakes in it.
    I did try a DT (not CG friendly) and it did help a lot and made my curls look great, but after w couple more regular washes, it started looking worse than it has in 2 years.
    So I am jumping back on CG again and going to take all of your advice and get a CG DT! :)
    That has to be my issue...
    The first recipe on this page is my fave homemade DT. It makes enough for 2 batches on my BSL hair. Just freeze the part you don't use right away. Make sure to really puree it though. I also have great luck with coconut oil. Just smooth it in, let sit for an hour, and low poo out then condish like normal.

http://www.freewebs.com/triplecurl/dtrecipes.htm

mmm, thanks Jess the Mess, maybe if there's enough left over it will make a tasty snack! ;)
    I think I am going to also order some Jessicurl stuff too. I always wanted to try a few of her products.
    I have too but the mag sulphate keeps me away. Jillipoo just interviewed her if you're interested in listening to it. Could really help before you order. You can find it here on Jillipoo's blog.

http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file