wavy? curly? all of the above? (cross post)

wavyannawavyanna Posts: 26Registered Users
i posted this in the "we'd like to meet you" forum, but no responses yet. so, here it is. the big question for the "2" and "3a" forums.........

hi all! i've been doing the cg thing for about 6 weeks now. i've spent hours and hours on this amazing site and had a few questions answered by some amazingly helpful wavy girls (thanks Jess the Mess and wavy wonder!!). i'd love some help typing my hair. these pics are all current and the curliest my hair has EVER been!!! whatcha think?

http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu45/anniewoodfin/

Comments

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure what your curl type is , looks like 2-something???? All i know is it is beautiful!!!! :)
  • wavyannawavyanna Posts: 26Registered Users
    thank you oh so much wavy wonder:))!!!!!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Looks pretty 2c to me...a lot like mine actually :) We could be hair twins. Looking good...
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Jess the Mess, thank you, thank you, thank you!! i'm sure i'll have a million and one more questions!!! your hair is soooooo amazing! i hope i can get mine to that point some day! also, i'm in the growing out phase, which makes me all the more envious of your locks. my hair was about as long as yours when i cut it last year, and i still regret it. this new cg obsession has given me something to focus on (besides haircut regret) while it grows out again:)
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been growing mine out for a few years after a bob. It has been a long road. I'm actually in a no cut challenge with myself now that all the heat damage is gone. My goal is 6 months no trim and I'm 2 months in. I have bad urges to cut all the time but I'm resisting :) Thank you for the compliments. It has taken a lot for me to love my hair and get it healthy and it is still a struggle sometimes. The compliments make it worth it. Ask any questions you want and I'll try to answer.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    Right now I'd say 2C. It looks like your hair is trying really hard to spiral. You haven't been CG long it may get curlier. Mine didn't reach full curl potential for a long time after starting due to different products/routines and hair length.

It's very pretty, healthy-looking and shiny. :)
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    jess the mess is right, the compliments do go a long way.

thank you whatsercurl! i see what you mean about my hair trying to spiral. i just couldn't put into words. how long did it take for your hair to reach it's full potential? of course, does anyone's hair actually reach it's full potential:)
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    You're right. I'm still realizing my full potential. The longer it gets the curlier it gets but also new products have gone a long way. I just put a pic in my fotki today of new products I received from kathymack. I see a pretty big difference in curl from a pic I posted just Saturday.

But I really noticed a difference at about 6 weeks and then again in 6 months in when I found the perfect routine and products of the moment for me. I don't think others take or took as long as me to figure things out though so don't worry it'll be that long. :lol:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    Wavyanna-

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL!! Do you mind sharing your routine?
    thanks all! i hesitate to call this a routine since i'm frightfully new, but here goes:

low poo (still trying to figure out how often, maybe 2 times per week?) was using bb grapefruit shampoo, but just before i took those pics, i low-pooed with dr. bronner's unscented liquid castille soap (diluted). low poo followed by VO5 vanilla mint as a rinse-out.

co-wash and rinse-out (on non-low poo days) with VO5. (going to try goivanni 50:50 as a rinse-out)

dripping wet hair, upside down, scrunch-in a little VO5, then scrunch in FSG, then scrunch in a generous amount of la looks curl gel. scrunch generously. scrunch out water with a flour-sack towel.

plop for 20-30 minutes (been playing around with a double plop).

clip roots with jaw clips, let air-dry (briefly), un-clip, pixie-curl diffuse, re-clip roots, take out clips after my 15 minute drive to work. my roots get flat easily, so the double clip helps.

this week, i'm experiementing with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink]. today was day 1. good clumping, but a bit of frizz and a little droopy. going to try using more [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] (i know, may sound counterintuitive since i had the drooping) and see what happens. then i may try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kccc[/buylink] with gel on top.

i gotta admit, this is serious fun, even on bad hair days:)
    oops! forgot the honey rinse. too much for my little brain.....

after the rinse-out, i do a honey rinse (about 1 tablespoon honey to 1 cup warm water). don't rinse out the honey. i keep a bottle of honey and a squeeze bottle in she shower so i can mix it up right there.

my poor husband:laughing6:
  • sarahb1396sarahb1396 Posts: 169Registered Users
    I say 2b/2c

have you tried hair typing with porosity and texture? It helped me tons.:thumbup:
    ~3a, normal porosity, normal texture, med density:toothy9:~
    ~My hair loves aloe vera gel and honey!:love1:~

~Right now my fav products are KKKC and vo5
    ~Hair twins with curlcutie!!:blob3:~

~My Fotki! pw curlyswirly:read2:
  • thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Posts: 250Registered Users
    Love your hair!
    2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
    Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
    Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
    Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
    thick_n_wavy, i love your soft waves/curls. so healthy-looking!
  • thick_n_wavythick_n_wavy Posts: 250Registered Users
    Thanks! I think our hair is quite similar, actually!
    2c-3a. Thick density. Texture = mixture of medium and fine.

Always trying to boost my curl!

Go-to products: Pink Boots, CJSG, LALSG, Abba Pure Finish gel
    Experimenting with: CJAF, CJ CCCC, JCRR/CC, BRHG, PB Goo, Re:Coil, Komaza CHP, EcoStyler Protein
    Didn't like: HESMU, Matrix Biolage Gelee (both too goopy)

http://public.fotki.com/thicknwavy/
    Last updated: Dec. 3, 2009
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    2c but I see 3a potential. Actually, its alot like my hair when I don't put a lot of attention into it.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lovely hair!

I'm not good with hairtyping, but I'd agree with Whatsercurl -- I see both waviness and some spirals-in-waiting.

The wave pattern on your right side looks a lot like what I see on my left side, sometimes. Cool!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file