What are some (shallow) reasons NOT to go natural?

oneofsevenoneofseven Posts: 9Registered Users
Hello everyone. I was stalking a natural hair care site a while ago (which, I cannot remember) and a girl was transitioning. She started talking about her hair and said "I can't wait until I BC so that I can show my mother that I have that good hair."

Yeah, I know.

So. Reason 1: Don't go natural because you want to feed into the good hair/bad hair issue.

What do you guys think are some 'bad' reasons why a person should go natural?

Comments

• lovenadialovenadia Posts: 20Registered Users
    Believing people that tell you black people HAVE to get perms.
    For example my friends reaction to me telling her i am going natural,
    Reason 2: What? Black people don't go natural!
  • desert flowerdesert flower Posts: 188Registered Users
    Reason #3

Don't go natural so you can make yourself feel superior to others and make women who relax feel dumb, confused, less "ethnic" or like sellouts.

If you are truly comfortable in your skin and hair then you keep yourself up without having to tear others down.
  • desert flowerdesert flower Posts: 188Registered Users
    lovenadia wrote: »
    Believing people that tell you black people HAVE to get perms.
    For example my friends reaction to me telling her i am going natural,
    Reason 2: What? Black people don't go natural!

What does your friend think Black people did for the thousands and thousands of years before relaxers were invented??? Besides having healthy amazing hair, that is??
  • krj1908krj1908 Posts: 80Registered Users
    My favorite reason was one I heard when I started to do this a year ago...why are you going to let your relaxer grow off? You have such pretty hair.

Does that imply that if I'm natural my hair won't be pretty????? Turns out the ones doing all that talking are some of the same ones a year later talking to me about growing their relaxers off too.
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • Nichole23Nichole23 Posts: 57Registered Users
    Great topic!
    oneofseven wrote: »
    "I can't wait until I BC so that I can show my mother that I have that good hair."

lmao, shouldn't her mom already know what her hair type is. :-? lol

My shallow reason number #1
    Don't go natural because someone told you to. It really takes personal motivation & commitment!
    2a7y32g.jpg

Natural | BC: Sept 4th, 2009 | Curl Type: 3c
    Fine | Low Porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file