CurlTalk

What are your Top 10 Concerns of Curlies

MichelleMichelle AdministratorPosts: 726Moderators Curl Neophyte
An editor is working on an article about Top 10 Concerns of Curlies. I'd love to hear some of yours. They can be obvious, frizz, or less obvious.

Michelle
Michelle
co-founder
NaturallyCurly.com

Comments

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Dryness!!
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • darcurldarcurl Posts: 586Registered Users
    Can anyone address a length and style issue on males. And not on the stage, but in the aisles at the supermarket.
    2c, CG, soft, managed, curly-From NEPA
    :male::female::binky::angel13:
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    (BUMBLE, AUBREY ORGANICS, JANE CARTER)
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    Finding a hairdresser who actually knows how to handle curly hair.

Products that can actually tame frizz.

Truly moisturizing conditioners - not just full of fillers and silicones.

Finding a good moisturizing shampoo that will clean the hair, not strip it and leave it feeling like straw and will actualy moisturize.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • riotkittyriotkitty Posts: 1,307Registered Users
    Consistency of texture from day to day. Also, kind of related, uniformity of curls/waves.
    Have several allergies and sensitivities.
    Current products
    Low Poo/Cowash: Rio Grande Herb Co Negrita and Amole Deep Treatment Concentrate, Magick Botanicals (MB) Shampoo (diluted)
    Rinse out/Leave in: MB with apricot kernel and jojoba oils added
    Protein Treatment: MB Conditioner for Thinning Hair, IAgirl's protien treatment
    Style: MB Gel mixed with LOTD Aloe Vera Gelly

2b-c, need lots of moisture, likes protein in moderation.
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    definition
    stringyness
  • l.deonl.deon Posts: 235Registered Users
    Finding a professional curly style for work.
    3B Mod CG
    Medium texture/ Normal to low porosity / High density

Current Routine:

Shampoo- GTTT, GVP Paul Mitchell Tea tree Shampoo or ACV/ Baking soda (once a week)
    Co wash- Trader Joes Nourish Spa
    Leave in- Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave- in, Elucence
    Gel- BRHG

Holy grail combo Feb 2013: ISO Bouncy Creme with BRHG on top! :blob3:
  • kaysarakaysara Posts: 152Registered Users
    My biggest one is definitely anxiety over going to a stylist for haircut.

Also frizz, triangle head, and knots.
    3a/2c, medium texture, thick and dense, normal porosity/elasticity. Cone free since 5/1/09.

Low Poo: SheaM C&S
    Condish: GFS&SZero or SheaM WCR
    Stylers: UFDCM + LALSG
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Number one for me is fear of having a stylist ruin my hair. I've not had a professional cut for over two years because I'm scared to let someone near my hair.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
  • CurlyCassieRoCurlyCassieRo Posts: 94Registered Users
    Finding a stylist who knows how to deal with curly hair without making their curly client look like a mushoom when done. (nightmare process! I just went 6 years without a professional cut!)

Frizz... The causes of it and how to deal with it.

Different hairstyles that work with the curls rather than being styled to be worn straight and how to have either a cute 'do or a work 'do.

Different conditioners for hair, co-wash and for conditioning/leave in purposes.

Different styling products and what they do for different types of curls.
    cowash: VO5 kiwi lime
    condition: Say Yes to Carrots (also leave in a smidge)
    styling: Marc Anthony Strictly Curls and Herbal Essence's Totally Twisted and DevaCurl Set it Free
    I am finally embracing my crazy curls! :happy2:
    modified CG since Jan. 2009 I am a Jersey Girl!
    CG was the best thing I ever did for my hair. Ever. :love4:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Frizz and messyness

Flatness or lack of volume

Having to go places with wet hair because it looks better air dried and takes many hours to dry

Wind damage, LOL.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    1. Finding a good stlyist. While I have one, many don't.

2. A tie-in to number 1, education on cutting curly hair. I can't blame the stylist community if curl education is not readily available. If stylists are taught that all hair is the same, then why would they listen to a client saying that it's different.

3. Good for you products. Yes, I like the products I use, but there are few lines that are truly curl friendly. So many lines that have groups devoted to curls are simply silicone enhanced. I prefer not to use cones because frequen use of appropriate cleansing agents is drying on me and many other culies. Why not look at a way to actually care for curly hair instead of just coating it.

4. Acceptance of curls in society and in the workplace. Having spent over 20 years in the military, I can tell you that curls are not welcome. I once got a low mark on an evaluation becuase my hair was considered too flyaway. This was when it was too short to put up so I had to wear it out. There is nothing unprofessional about healthy hair no matter what the texture. Also, social acceptance. We see people like that Millionare Matchmaker freak who goes on about how men hate curls. We see movies where a girl goes from ugly to hot by straightening her hair and taking off her glasses.

5. The learning curve. Neither of my parents had hair as curly as mine. I had crappy hair for ages until I learned how to care for it. It is easier now with sites like nc and others, but I wish there was more general info out there. I think if stylists were better informed as a whole, they could help pass it on to their clients, especially parents of curlies. I also think that issues like frizz, volume and whatnot fall under this issue because one you learn you hair you can learn to keep these things under some reasonable control though it won't be perfect. Learning about ingredients, cuts, and environmental issues can go a long way to taking care of curls.

6. Styles. There are a few resources out there for styling variations for curls. The book Strictly Curls comes to mind because I have used it a lot. But, most stlyes in mainstream beauty mags are geared towards straightes and perhaps some wavies. If it is a curly style it is usually done on a straight head of hair, so the stlying methods are different.

That's all I have for now, lol.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • desert flowerdesert flower Posts: 188Registered Users
    In no particular order...

1. Frizz

2. Addiction to all things related to my hair...seriously, I don't even want to consider how many hours I spend dealing with hair issues...even though it's so much fun.

3. Holy grail products!

4. 2nd day and maybe even 3rd day and 4th day hair

5. Wet hair in the winter

6. Dealing with my hair when I go to the beach or camping...especially when it's for a few days!

7. Dryness

8. Lack of predictability
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Caring for my curls while at the same time, going naturally grey. I've never colored and I'm not about to start.

I want to be able to maintain healthy looking curls without it looking witchy or, worse yet, having a stylist try to give me an "old lady" style. :-?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    1. Finding a stylist

2. Triangle-head

3. Frizz

4. Tangles/Knotting

5. Moisture

6. Shrinkage

7. Difference in clumping, frizz, etc. depending on weather (dewpoint and humidity)

8. Cultural stigma
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »
    Caring for my curls while at the same time, going naturally grey. I've never colored and I'm not about to start.

I want to be able to maintain healthy looking curls without it looking witchy or, worse yet, having a stylist try to give me an "old lady" style. :-?

Oooh, good one!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • kayemmkay159kayemmkay159 Posts: 171Registered Users
    stylist, frizz, good products, good lengths, weather!, people touching my hair
  • sharon5152sharon5152 Posts: 207Registered Users
    1. Dry Frizz
    2. Split ends
    3. Undifferentiated curls
    4. Poof mass
    5. Matching products to hair needs AND weather
    6. Learning to appreciate change and inconsistency on a daily basis
    7. Finding product combos, that need to change with each season
    8. Trying to appear professional
    9. Ignoring ads for "beautiful" straight hair
    10. Trying not to be obsessed about my hair; it is only hair, after all!
    3a/b
    Wash: CJ Daily Fix, KM shampoo bars, Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying
    Co-wash/Condish: Curls Coconut Sublime Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI & Styling: KBB milk, CJ Beauticurls LI, CJ Coffee-Coco Curl Lite cream, CJ CIAB
    DT: CJ Hibiscus & Banana Deep Fix, Shea Butter

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fsharon5152%2F" class="Popup
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    Getting voluminous defined curls with no scalp showing and no frizz.(fine hair)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    The dreaded Poof-effect in inclement weather.

Volume reduction; frizz reduction

The right layers for my texture/volume so I dont look like a pyramid head or 1970s shag.
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users
    One of my biggest issues is the media. Everytime I pick up a magazine or see a segment on a TV show about "how to manage your curls" the answer is always to straighten them! It's insulting. This goes along with what everyone else has said about the mainstream media pushing straight hair as the only acceptable option. Just once I'd like to read an article on how to manage curly hair that actually tells me how to manage curly hair not how to make curly hair straight. I'm pretty sure we ALL know how to make it straight! We've spent years doing it!
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • may1787may1787 Posts: 113Registered Users
    1. Losing my curl throughout the day
    2. Producty-feeling hair
    3. Frizz (duh)
    4. No definition of curl
    No-'poo since 28 Apr 09!
    2c/3a, fine to medium texture, low to medium porosity, normal elasticity, medium density.

Cleanse: Deva Lo-Poo or Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Condition: Kinky Curly Knot Today or Suave Naturals Coconut
    Stylers: KCCC, BRHG, Moroccan Dry-No-More oil, Mister Right

NO: bad 'quats, 'cones, 'xanes, drying alcohols, sulfates, or petrochemicals.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    Styling time. Leaving my clips in long enough for my hair to finish air drying and look the way I want, even after diffusing, takes min 2 hours. Who has time like that?
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• madhuri_dixit_fanmadhuri_dixit_fan Posts: 310Registered Users
    []Swimming Hair Care (especially everyday swimmers)

[]Dryness

[]Frizz

[]Stringyness

[]Matted Roots

[]Single Strand Knots

[]Winter Hair Care

[]Products for curlies with sensitive skin/allergies/contact dermatitis from such ingredients as wheat or propylene glycol

[]How to properly apply products to long (APL and beyond) curly hair to get great curls

[]Taking care of a child's curly hair, from infancy to teen
    RIP Natasha Richardson

Holy Grails: Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner, AVG, EVO Coconut Oil, Amla Oil, KC Spiral Spritz, Brahmi Oil, Tea Tree eo, Rosemary eo, Distilled H2O, Aloe Vera Juice, Neem Oil, ACV, Dr. Bonner's Skikakai Castile Soap, Avocado Oil

Sometimes: AOMM Jelly, KCNT, KCCC
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    1. Providing a real education for hair stylists in cutting, styling, and caring for curly, wavy, kinky hair -- the majority of heads are curly, yet they don't learn how to do anything with it but try to make it straight!
    2. Raising the public consciousness about prejudice against hair that is not straight or straightened. The general public and the media should be educated about the stigma placed on people with un-straight hair -- and some of the sources of that stigma -- historical racism and bigotry. Teach parents how to care for and be proud of their kids' hair so they don't suffer the way so many have with straightening and processing and feeling inadequate or unattractive because of having "bad" hair.
    3. Require the hair products industry to be more forthcoming and honest about their products. So many claims that their products are "natural," gentle, etc., or that their curls lines are good and moisturizing for curly hair, when they are actually full of harsh, drying sulfates and silicones. They should not be able to make false claims that their products are good for hair.
    4. Related: To somehow show the industry, and the stylists and salons, how it will be to their advantage to begin to cater to curly people. There is a lot of money to be made from curlies! But they need to get educated and learn how to provide the right kinds of service and products, not just repackage the same old crap under a "curly" label.
    5. Help us figure out how to communicate with the stylists who at least are willing to try to please us but who don't really know how to cut our hair.
    6. Educate people in how to read labels of hair products so they aren't fooled so easily ("fixes split ends!") or so confused, and to understand some of the science behind hair care.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    1) Finding a good stylist
    2) Being able to reproduce what the stylist did
    3) Preventing frizz
    4) Volume on top and/or learning how to put in clips for volume at top
    5) Not having hair look messy
    6) Dealing with employers who consider curly hair unprofessional - especially critical for job interviews
    7) Managing hair that is much curlier in some places than in other places - even straight in some places

And - all of the other problems that the posters said!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    l.deon wrote: »
    Finding a professional curly style for work.

this is a really good one IMO! I'm always worried my hair is too wild for the work field... :angry2:

my other major concern is hair fluffying/ puffing out by the end of the day (and suffocating me!)
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    Ooh, yes -- what Madhuri and Jess said:
    Dealing with hair if you are a frequent swimmer, runner, etc., when there's no time to do the whole routine after. And the time it takes to get it dry -- some people spend half the day with wet or damp hair. By the time it's dry and looking its best, it's nearly time for bed!
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    manya994 wrote: »
    definition
    stringyness

and frizz
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users
    I'd be interested in an article about multi-day hair chemistry: what products, product types, or ingredients promote it, both from the point of view of initial (i.e. just washed hair) application; and also products, product types, or ingredients which lend themselves to application to dry or damp hair on subsequent days.
    Is there a way to read a dewpoint trend? If the dewpoint is 39 and going up, I'd want to approach my hair product choices differently than if the dewpoint is 40 and going down.
    What about flaxseeds makes them a good base for hair gels? What properties does a flaxseed gel have that makes it work well for naturally curly hair, or for some types of naturally curly hair, and not others? Does it have a down side?
    What are the benefits of specific botanical ingredients in hair products, particularly those which are most specifically beneficial for naturally curly hair.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • That70sHeidiThat70sHeidi Posts: 34Registered Users
    1. Finding a good stlyist. While I have one, many don't.

Can I ask who you're using in Pgh? I'm in Monroeville and looking for a stylist in the next few months. :thumbup:

My response would be dealing with thin/thinning hair that's curly (i.e., scalp showing, flatness, etc).
    2A/B, F, i - thinning on top due to meds
    Above-shoulder length, can't plop!
    Using: VO5 Tea Therapy Blackberry Cond (cowash), LA Looks Mega Hold gel