CurlTalk

ouch!

curlyorwavycurlyorwavy Posts: 132Registered Users
why are people so mean?

earlier today i was standing outside the station when this girl, probably around my age (18ish), straight hair, walks past me and says "you look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards". i don't really notice her coz i'm talking to my friend so she comes right up to me, her face right next to mine, and says again "you look like you've been dragged through a hedge backwards".

why? why? it's no wonder curlies around the world feel the pressure to straighten with people like that around! if she'd had said that before i discovered nc.com prob would have gone home and attacked hair with straighteners. thankfully can now deal with hair and happy to be curly. but still, does hurt. hair was actually having an ok/good day today...

anyone else had similar experiences with total strangers?
UK curly, 2B/3A
Original Source Tea Tree & Mint, VO5 Firm Styling Gel

"I keep being bowled over by how lovely you look. And I love your hair. You have lovely hair. I can't put into words how beautiful your hair is! It's so... gorgeous. Seriously, I love your hair."
My fiance, when I was feeling all insecure. He's my curls' biggest fan!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FcurlyorwavyCG%2F" class="Popup
pw massey

event.png

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I wouldn't take it too personally. Honestly it sounds like she's a miserable beeyotch who was just looking for something obnoxious to say to someone. Or maybe even looking to pick a fight, since she got right up in your face and said it. :shock: Unreal...
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • FermunneyFermunney Posts: 48Registered Users
    I would have hit her. HARD. I give you props for keeping your cool.
    3a/b : CG since Feb 08
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    Jeez! Wonder what her problem was? Maybe her thong was 3 sizes too small.

I would have told her to f*ck off.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • Catsmd71Catsmd71 Posts: 93Registered Users
    Stupid dumb girls. I'm in my 30's and luckily they stop that. When I was about 8 on a schoolbus a girl behind me was kicking my seat and comparing me to my next door neighbor (straight, blonde hair) and saying, "now SHE has good hair!" It was awful. Remember, what goes around comes around and now I get a lot of attention, from cute guys too --- because I look unique!
    Curly 3a. Letting it grow, using conditioners and products that are PRO curl and not straightening thanks to NC.com.
    PW: curlz
  • Laura P.Laura P. Posts: 23Registered Users
    I wouldn't let it bother me at all. Honestly, she sounds like she is mentally ill!
  • SpaghettiHeadSpaghettiHead Posts: 1,510Registered Users
    Wow, can we say anger issues? I wouldn't think twice about it. She's just jealous, and an angry little person who's not happy with herself. Curls rock!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • betweenshadesbetweenshades Posts: 130Registered Users
    bwuh?? Rude much??
    Sarah - 3B/C, CG since 11/25/05

DevaCurl and Jessicurl rock my hair care world.

My Hair Journal

tiger.gif
  • automaticflowersautomaticflowers Posts: 3,465Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote:
    Jeez! Wonder what her problem was? Maybe her thong was 3 sizes too small.

I would have told her to f*ck off.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I probably would have backhanded her just for getting in my face like that, then said, "Oops I'm sorry, reflex!" If she took the trouble to do that just to repeat what she said, then she shouldn't be surprised by a fist in the nose. Crazy b*tch.

I'm sure that you and your hair are beautiful, and big kudos to you for being the bigger person. :D
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Ditto for me - that girl was just looking for trouble, and I'm sure she had the most straight, boring hair.
    She was prolly just mad 'cuz she knows her bf likes curlies better... :twisted: Hehe...
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • Banana CurlsBanana Curls Posts: 4Registered Users
    I cant wait until curlies are in fashon big time, and all those straighties go and pay big bucks to imitate us naturals!! that girl will be bummed then!!

not to mention when she is older and her thin, limp straight hair will all fall out and you will still have your pretty big curly head of hair!!! :twisted:
  • ChrematisaiChrematisai Posts: 85Registered Users
    That girl was being rediculous to the point of almost being funny . . . I think I would have looked her straight in the eye, gave her a big smile, and said "Thank you!" You all know that nothing would have irritated her more than that.

And ditto, Catsmd71, on the guys comment. I'm only 19, and I get hit on/whistled at soo much more than I did with straight hair. It almost gets annoying at times :P
    "A face without freckles is like a night without stars"

~Jenny
  • NaturalRemedyNaturalRemedy Posts: 371Registered Users
    It's obvious, she's jealous :wink: She obviously has to spend hours getting her hair curly... Your hair looks great by the way :D
    Mostly 3c and lovin' my curls

This is not a fashion trend, it's not a statement, it's pride for who we are and what we look like. And that is where our true beauty shines.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcocoalily%2F" class="Popup
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    It's obvious, she's jealous :wink: She obviously has to spend hours getting her hair curly... Your hair looks great by the way :D

That or she's a curly who spends hours straightening her hair. Self loathing can be a potent thing.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    Fermunney wrote:
    I would have hit her. HARD. I give you props for keeping your cool.
    exactly lol
    3b-3c CG

That or she's a curly who spends hours straightening her hair. Self loathing can be a potent thing.

Yea I was thinking about too, I would NOT be surprised...

This is not a fashion trend, it's not a statement, it's pride for who we are and what we look like. And that is where our true beauty shines.

• tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    Ugh! Definitely HER issues, not yours! Keep on rockin those gorgeous locks of yours! :D
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users

Me either.

O/T, but I love your spirals! That would be cool if mine spiraled like that!
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Me either.

O/T, but I love your spirals! That would be cool if mine spiraled like that!

*Blush* Aww thanks that really made my day :) esp. after comments on how I should striaghten it :roll:

• one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote:
    Maybe her thong was 3 sizes too small.

lol !! but ugh. i would have chopped her hair off.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • JuniperJuniper Posts: 16Registered Users
    If anything like this happens again, chuckle, pat her very gently on the top of her head, turn to your friend with one of those indulgent "oh aren't they so cute at this age" sighs, and then completely turn your back on her.
    2a, fine-ish, thin-ish (2.5" diameter ponytail)
    daily wash hairline (from just behind ears) with a little bit of cheapo harsh shampoo; weekly CO scalp & length with Suave Naturals conditioner with 3T. jojoba oil mixed into the bottle.
  • angelyxangelyx Posts: 35Registered Users
    This happens to me all the time. Even when I was in grade school. I was always picked on because I always used to brush my hair straight and it was POOFY. And now, it's curlier and people still look at me weirdly and whisper to their friends.

It's not my fault my father had an afro, guys! :evil:
    3A/B.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals : Tropical Coconut. Herbal Essences - Totally Twisted, Salle Conditioner
    Styling Products: GOT 2 B - CURL VACIOUS - Curl Creme & Aloe Vera Gel

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fangelyx%2F" class="Popup

Password: Curls