CurlTalk

new way to blow dry!

I have never been able to diffuse as my hair gets really frizzy and stringy (even with the pixiecurl method!).

the other day i bought one of those satin sleep caps (one with a wide band from walmart) to try to wear at night for 2nd day hair (and it has been working!!)
you may be asking what does a sleep cap have to do with drying.

yesterday i plopped as usual (like 10 min wile i got dressed, etc). but then decided to experiment. i basically pineappled my wet hair except a few front pieces (like in my fotki) and plopped it into my satin cap. then i used a REGULAR BLOWDRYER (no diffuser) and blow dryed while the cap was still on!

the cap keeps your hair in somewhat of a scrunch and also protects it from the actual wind and all you get is the heat! it worked awesome for me! i blow dried till about 85-90% dry and had great volume!

just another option for those who "can't" blowdry

(plus it negates the need for a bulky diffuser meaning you can use any blow dryer (your friends, the one at the gym or a hotel etc!) hope this helps someone as much as it did me :blob2: :thumbup:
HENNA HEAD
3B just past BSL in back (when curly)
CG since 3/08
HG's:biolage condtioning balm and kpak (both the generic value versions)
overnight plop with a flour sack the strutt way
honey after leave-in
satin sleep cap & shea butter for day 2 hair
USING:KCKT&KCCC(its my HG :))
ALSO LOVE:jessicurl aloeba leave-in, rr, ccss
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmisfitcurls%2F" class="Popup
by: Riot Crrl!
I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.

Comments

• masa_innmasa_inn Posts: 306Registered Users
    Wow, this is really interesting! Gotta try!
    Brunette, almost BSL length, growing out.
    CG since Feb 2008, modified CG since September 2008.

I now know my texture/porosity!! (TY, Tiffany!) Medium texture; ends on a porous side; new growth - normal porosity.

Wash: Suave; EO Sweet Orange shampoo

Conditioner: GVP Balm, Mango Lustrasilk

Styling: KCCC, BRHG and LA Looks

Want to try: CJ
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    What a cool idea! I tried to use my hardhat to dry while still plopped but the flour sack was too thick and it didn't work out.

I'll have to try this since I start to frizz past 50-60% dry.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I tried to do this with a mesh snood once, and it didn't work at all. Using the cap makes much more sense!

I'm still on an air dry kick, but when I need the quick blow dry some time, I will definitely try this.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    It didn't melt the cap?

I tried to use a blowdryer to dry a pair of tights once with disasterous results....
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    It didn't melt the cap?

I tried to use a blowdryer to dry a pair of tights once with disasterous results....

It won't hurt the cap. They're meant to be washed and dried so it can handle the heat.
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    would it work with a tee shirt plop?
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    This sounds brilliant. I'm going to try it but with my hair in the floursack towel plop.:smurfin:

I just had an image of myself in the ladies' locker room at my gym, using one of their little blowdryers with my hair plopped into a satin sleep bonnet -- I can just imagine what the other women would be thinking! :goofy: :laughing2:
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • QuirkyYoginiQuirkyYogini Posts: 569Registered Users
    Oooh! Great idea! Thanks!
    This sounds brilliant. I'm going to try it but with my hair in the floursack towel plop.:smurfin:

I just had an image of myself in the ladies' locker room at my gym, using one of their little blowdryers with my hair plopped into a satin sleep bonnet -- I can just imagine what the other women would be thinking! :goofy: :laughing2:

This made me actually laugh out loud! I can totally see it too! :laughing2:
    I have 3c hair that I haven't straightened in over 5 years. It's just past shoulder length when dry, and almost waist length when pulled straight.

Products:
    9/02/08 Went CG
    05/12/09 Still CG. Cowashing with VO5 Lavender Luster. I then condition with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. Styling with VO5 Lavender Luster conditioner with my wide-toothed comb.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQuirkyYogini%2F" class="Popup

• RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    Heh, QuirkyYogini, why don't you try it first, and report back to us? :laughing2:
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • marinacurlzmarinacurlz Posts: 1,720Registered Users
    Oooo neato! Now I gotta try this. I have seen that satin bonnet you speak of. I believe that's the one Speckla has. Now I have to get one.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FTLGuerrero%2F" class="Popup

password: curly

3B w/3A underneath

Medium texture
    Average porosity

Crazy-picky hair; likes some oils and proteins, but not others, can tolerate some glycerin.

Current products-
    Co-wash: Suave/Vo5/TJ Refresh
    Rinse out & Leave in: Suave Tropical Coconut/Garnier Triple Nutrition
    Gel: Herbal Essences Set Me Up/Aussie Tizz No Frizz
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I tried something like this a few days ago, with a t-shirt. I didn't dry it long enough but I think it worked reasonably well. :)
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • misfitcurlsmisfitcurls Posts: 735Registered Users
    I can just imagine what the other women would be thinking!
    since when have we curlies cared what other people think?:joker:
    i think a t-shirt or flour sack might be too thick for the heat to get through.
    anyone who tries report back and lemme know how it goes :sunny:
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmisfitcurls%2F" class="Popup
    I think you could walk around with words and stick people drawn on your face and still look supercute.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    The flour sack was definitely too thick for me anyway.

I looked all over for one of the wide band hair bonnets but couldn't find one. The regular ones leave me with a dent in my forehead. :angry2:
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    So I did my weekly WalMart shopping trip today...and this little bonnet jumped in my cart right on top of the 38lb tub of cat litter....I figured anything that showed such athleticism deserved to come home with me...not sure if I'll try this tomorrow, but it would be so nice not to have to travel with a diffuser...
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    So I did my weekly WalMart shopping trip today...and this little bonnet jumped in my cart right on top of the 38lb tub of cat litter....I figured anything that showed such athleticism deserved to come home with me...not sure if I'll try this tomorrow, but it would be so nice not to have to travel with a diffuser...
    You crack me up!!! misfits, I'm really confused about how the heat gets in through the satin cap??? On the R2D2 thread someone is using the mesh cap under the dryer I can see how that would work. I believe you, I just can't get my head around it. I'll have to give it a try....
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    DEL2C wrote: »
    You crack me up!!! misfits, I'm really confused about how the heat gets in through the satin cap??? On the R2D2 thread someone is using the mesh cap under the dryer I can see how that would work. I believe you, I just can't get my head around it. I'll have to give it a try....

The caps are very thin and they allow your hair to breath at night so it makes sense that the flow of blowdryer air can get in.
  • finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
    I am SO trying this....
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

I looked all over for one of the wide band hair bonnets but couldn't find one. The regular ones leave me with a dent in my forehead.
    i found mine at walmart in the "ethnic" hair care sections
    here is one on ebay that looks just like mine
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
  • Curly Girl FlaCurly Girl Fla Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    Just a quick note-did this this morning, and it works really well! Thanks for sharing, Misfit :). My hair actually has nice volume, and very little frizziness considering the humidity level. Who woulda thunk it?
    so glad it worked for you honey :)
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
  • llpllp Posts: 15Registered Users
    A bonnet jumped into my cart at Wal-Mart too! I hope it works for me because this will be awesome for travel. Thanks for the idea!

Leslie
    2c with some 3a
    CG or Mod CG since 2005
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    The flour sack was definitely too thick for me anyway.

I looked all over for one of the wide band hair bonnets but couldn't find one. The regular ones leave me with a dent in my forehead. :angry2:

I've seen them at both Wal-Mart and Sally's and they are on the Sally's website too. But, I think it helps that I live in a racially mixed neighborhood. The bonnets are always in the area where the "ethnic" hair care products are.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I did this using my silk bonnet (small elastic band but I didn't have it on long enough to create the dreaded elastic mark on my head!) yesterday with pretty decent results. But of course, I get so ADD when diffusing I didn't do it that long. So today, I decide to do it again but this time clip my hair before putting the bonnet on. Seemed like such a good idea but not so much. I started to put on the bonnet - felt the clips get caught on something, I continued on knowing that bad things were happening and clips were sliding, moving, etc. So I stopped and flipped back upright...got the clips out verrrrrrry carefully and reinserted and tried again. This time with better luck. Just thought I would share that if you clip before using the cap make sure you really have that cap stretched out before trying to load your hair in there or you, like me, will have cap/clip disaster.

So, after all that, my hair is a bit fuzzy on top where the clips got a bit tangled but overall I like this way to set my ends and it does seem to help with my volume a bit because it kinda squishes my hair all together while it's in the cap.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • hmixonhmixon Posts: 214Registered Users
    Brilliant idea!

I have this cap in PURPLE, my favorite color, and have been sleeping in it with my hair clipped for some good 2nd day root volume. Since it's purple I even feel "not so nerdy" climbing into bed with it- it feels fashionable and stylish like a purple beret!!! But my dh thinks the pineapple is cuter!
    med/coarse; porous; 2c & 3c
    protein sensitive
    too much glycerin and some oils give me stringlets

!!! LOVE SPRITZ AND CONDISH !!!!

co-wash: Fructis Body Boost condish
    low-poo: miss my LLL Green Tea, CJDF
    condish/leave-in: DMLI, Elucense MB, KCKT, JCWDT, CJCR, KBB Deep Condish, Marie Dean, Shescensit GTH
    style: faves: KCCC, DMCG, AOMMJ, CGG, Elucence Foam, FSG
    DT: JCWDT, CJCR, SS Deep Condish

My CG Journey: :confused: :banghead:
    :read2: :love1:
  • jlpmom23jlpmom23 Posts: 755Registered Users
    Misfit, you are a genius!!

Could not resist this satin bonnet when I saw it was only $1.50 at WalMart. Tried the blow dry method today, amazing! I let my hair air dry for a bit, then plopped into the bonnet and dried on full speed, no diffuser.

I was so happy with the mass of bouncy curls that tumbled out when I removed the bonnet! My curl formation was incredible, but what I loved even more was how my hair fell around my face. I normally think my hair is almost a bit too bushy, but it dried really nice, kind of pushed further back from my face.

Also, the drying time was awesome. Diffusing is SO tedious and it takes my hair FOREVER to dry when I diffuse.

Huge thanks to you for introducing the fabulous "MISFIT METHOD"! You rock!!
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    anyone try it with a tee shirt plop yet?
  • sarahthewarriorsarahthewarrior Posts: 252Registered Users
    Hum... this has given me stringlets and fuzziness both times I have tried it. It didn't really save me any time, but it was easier on the back. I guess I'll just stick with regular diffusing.
    Fine but dense 3B: naturally red, naturally curly
    CG since July 8, 2008!
    Co-Wash: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom Conditioner
    Rinse-Out: Giovanni TTTT Conditioner
    Leave-In: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom Conditioner
    Products: Clairol 3-in-1 Condition mousse with L.A. Looks Sport gel
    Fotki pw: curls Updated 9-4-09
    Hum... this has given me stringlets and fuzziness both times I have tried it. It didn't really save me any time, but it was easier on the back. I guess I'll just stick with regular diffusing.

i did mine upside down... i am guessing from the back comment you did not. maybe that is the difference?
    HENNA HEAD
    CG since 3/08
    honey after leave-in
  • hmixonhmixon Posts: 214Registered Users
    I tried this today and liked the results. I can't EVER do anything upside down coz it causes me to lose all clumps and get stringy. But I did do this method upside down with no ill affects due to the capped affect!
    I clipped and then capped and then dried.

Only problems-- had to hold the cap up in the air to prevent flat top squish when I dried right side up to take breaks to rest my back and, and I couldn't see my hair.
    med/coarse; porous; 2c & 3c
    protein sensitive
    too much glycerin and some oils give me stringlets

!!! LOVE SPRITZ AND CONDISH !!!!

co-wash: Fructis Body Boost condish
    low-poo: miss my LLL Green Tea, CJDF
    condish/leave-in: DMLI, Elucense MB, KCKT, JCWDT, CJCR, KBB Deep Condish, Marie Dean, Shescensit GTH
    style: faves: KCCC, DMCG, AOMMJ, CGG, Elucence Foam, FSG
    DT: JCWDT, CJCR, SS Deep Condish

My CG Journey: :confused: :banghead:
    :read2: :love1:
  • sarahthewarriorsarahthewarrior Posts: 252Registered Users

i did mine upside down... i am guessing from the back comment you did not. maybe that is the difference?

Ah... you failed to mention that in your original post. ;-)

I'll have to try it all upside down next time. Here I thought I'd finally found a way to save my back... :error:
    Fine but dense 3B: naturally red, naturally curly
    CG since July 8, 2008!
    Co-Wash: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom Conditioner
    Rinse-Out: Giovanni TTTT Conditioner
    Leave-In: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom Conditioner
    Products: Clairol 3-in-1 Condition mousse with L.A. Looks Sport gel
    Fotki pw: curls Updated 9-4-09