1 Year or More...

VainityVainity Posts: 110Registered Users
If you have reached your 1 year mark of transitioning and are continuing to transition - please tell me what styles you are wearing your hair in, considering we are on the verge of summer. I am looking to glean tips from those who are currently in my situation and maybe you can do the same.

I am currently alternating between a daily side bun, flat twists and flat twist outs.
My main products include virgin coconut oil, Shea Moisture Leave In, Giovanni Direct Leave In and Shealoe.

I am trying to hold out until the end of summer.
Last Relaxer: May 8, 2008
BC: May 27, 2009
My Picasa Album

Comments

• onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I've been transitioning for a little over 13 months. I treat my hair as though it were all curly, and when it's dry and I've SOTC-ed, I pull into a loose messy bun. From the front it looks all curly, from the back it looks mostly straight/wavy. I've been using little metal jaw clips to pull back the shorter front pieces, since they don't squish the curl and taking it out and putting it back in as I adjust through the day doesn't "ruin" my curls or cause frizz and it's easy. Plus I think they're cute. I have them in gold an silver, but I've seen plastic (I think the metal are more durable) in different colors.

I'll probably keep bunning into summer, as I've always preferred to keep my hair off my neck.

I've also done quite a bit of french braiding, which I love, and I've also done an inverted french braid which is really cute! I either braid all the way down (one braid) or I braid until the nape of my neck and then bun what's left (which I prefer). I've also done two french braids and pulled the ends of both into one bun at my neck, and I've gotten compliments on that.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • Black Hoya ChickBlack Hoya Chick Posts: 185Registered Users
    i am a dedicated donut bunner. it gets me through. lol. i just throw a cute scarf in front and some festive clips so i don't get completely bored.
    Kinky Curly Knot Today = :love5:
    Philippians 1:3

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nigerian-Princess/about/

Current: Natural 3C/4A BSL; Long Term Goal: WL
    34pluo8.jpg
  • krj1908krj1908 Posts: 80Registered Users
    i am a dedicated donut bunner. it gets me through. lol. i just throw a cute scarf in front and some festive clips so i don't get completely bored.

June 1 will make 12 months of transitioning for me. I have not BC'd. I have been getting my hair trimmed by my stylist periodically. My hair is mostly 3b/3c so I use a leave-in conditioner to set/define my curls and then allow my hair to air dry. I am not a huge fan of 2nd day hair, so I wash my hair 6 days a week. I am a no-poo girl. I do not apply heat to my hair except for very infrequent cases of straightening my hair. I feel so liberated now that I've put relaxing my hair behind me.:blob5:
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • VainityVainity Posts: 110Registered Users
    I've been transitioning for a little over 13 months. I treat my hair as though it were all curly, and when it's dry and I've SOTC-ed, I pull into a loose messy bun. From the front it looks all curly, from the back it looks mostly straight/wavy. I've been using little metal jaw clips to pull back the shorter front pieces, since they don't squish the curl and taking it out and putting it back in as I adjust through the day doesn't "ruin" my curls or cause frizz and it's easy. Plus I think they're cute. I have them in gold an silver, but I've seen plastic (I think the metal are more durable) in different colors.

I'll probably keep bunning into summer, as I've always preferred to keep my hair off my neck.

I've also done quite a bit of french braiding, which I love, and I've also done an inverted french braid which is really cute! I either braid all the way down (one braid) or I braid until the nape of my neck and then bun what's left (which I prefer). I've also done two french braids and pulled the ends of both into one bun at my neck, and I've gotten compliments on that.

What is SOTC?
    My Picasa Album
  • krj1908krj1908 Posts: 80Registered Users
    Vainity wrote: »

What is SOTC?
    SOTC is scrunch out the crunch
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • FunkyCurlGurlFunkyCurlGurl Posts: 264Registered Users
    As I'm preparing for the heat of summer, I know I'm going to be working the bantu knots! I like to leave them in for a few days to really set the curl, and if I go out, I just pop in some big earrings to offset them and it works. I also do a lot of ponytails, side/top buns, and work scarves into my styles. You can also do a simple ponytail and just twist the hair in the pony for a cute twist out the next day.
    event.png

http://public.fotki.com/funkycurlgirl/
    "when I feel her jump up and dance / I hear the music! my God / i'm talking about my nappy hair!"
    - Lucille Clifton, "Homage to my Hair."
  • Nichole23Nichole23 Posts: 57Registered Users
    • Buns
    • French Braids
    • WashnGo's (great for the summer)
    2a7y32g.jpg

Natural | BC: Sept 4th, 2009 | Curl Type: 3c
    Fine | Low Porosity
  • nada101nada101 Posts: 125Registered Users
    Buns and maybe i will try twists.
    Hair Stats
    Started Transition: March 2008
    Ended Transition: March 2010
    Transitioned for: 2 years

event.png
  • VainityVainity Posts: 110Registered Users
    Nichole23 wrote: »
    • Buns
    • French Braids

How you accomplishing a wash-n-go with relaxed ends?
    My Picasa Album
  • Nichole23Nichole23 Posts: 57Registered Users
    Vainity wrote: »
    Nichole23 wrote: »
    • Buns
    • French Braids

How you accomplishing a wash-n-go with relaxed ends?

My hair was texlaxed (texturized) before I decided to transition. So conditioner and a moisturizing gel gives me a great wash-n-go. With texturized hair, I could wash-n-go before I started transitioning as well.
    2a7y32g.jpg

Natural | BC: Sept 4th, 2009 | Curl Type: 3c
    Fine | Low Porosity
  • cbreloadedcbreloaded Posts: 1Registered Users
    I'm 11 months post-relaxer. I rod set my hair, dry, then fluff out the curls for a curly fro. The style is very summer heat- and humidity- friendly, and workout-friendly too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file