CurlTalk

*GoW Majik Lockes and Seamollient*

Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
:toothy8:Garden of Wisdom Majik Lockes and Seamollient Review:

Majik Lockes is supposed to be a leave-in conditioner but to me it seems more like a styling jelly and I LOVE IT!! It does have B5 and keratin proteins so it may be best for fine hair. I combine it with Seamollient which is an algae gel. Both products are very curl-enhancing, give my hair a lot more body, root lift, shine, bounce and ALL-DAY HOLD WITHOUT FRIZZ!!! I wish ML was cheaper( it is $15 for 4 oz) because I would use more of it as a styling gel but combined with my favorite AOMM and/or Seamollient it works well; my curls do not drop or frizz anymore. I recommend using it in sopping wet hair and start with a small amount of either because they have glue-like qualities. Even though my hair dries very crunchy, I can aggressively scrunch and diffuse without loosing any curl and creating frizz. These are by far the best products I have used!

*** I highly recommend to all fine haired curlies***
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse

Comments

• rach427rach427 Posts: 27Registered Users
    Ooo, will have to look at these! I love GoW skincare but hadn't really thought to look at things there for curly hair.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sounds good, I haven't been on their website for ages as I'm trying not to be tempted by overseas products. I don't remember seeing majik lockes before - is it new? I have wondered about the seamollient in the past though as there was something on here ages ago about algae. Maybe I'll have to revisit.
    3b in South Australia.
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    I think it may be newer; sometimes it is difficult to find things on their website. I may try to mix up a batch of ML myself to save money. You can also mix Seamollient with FSG 50/50 for better hold/body. So far I have mixed it with all of my products 50/50 and get great results ( I would be careful with stronger holding gels). Some use it as a rinse-out but I have not tried that yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,681Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I had a look and had seen the ML before, I remember being put off by the fact it had "animal derived" next to a couple of ingredients (though who knows what's in the products I usually buy that don't tell you where the ingredients come from!).
    I'm sorely tempted to try the water-based serum I spotted though, I miss using serum on my frizz.
    3b in South Australia.
    There is a vegetarian( veggie keratin) hair serum that is similar; I hear it is more moisturizing like the Healthy Hair Serum .The ingredients almost look the same. I will try samples of both next time!
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    HeatherOkay - what is the website you get this product from? I am looking for a protein-rich leave and would be interested in trying it out.

Is it still working well for you?
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

Never mind about the site, I found it.
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Seamollient seems to be an ingredient in the product. Did you add more to the Majik Lockes?
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    mpgirl wrote: »
    Seamollient seems to be an ingredient in the product. Did you add more to the Majik Lockes?

Seamollient is actually a "registered" product that's added to a lot of products. It's a "blend of sea plants." Adding algae is "big" right now--ie, Komaza Califia.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for clarifying that KM. I am going to try it as is but do you recommend adding more to the ML for more hold?
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

I use a squirt of ML then I mix more Seamollient and my favorite gel then add that to my hair not for hold but I like to use a lot of product in sopping wet hair for curl formation and aid in styling. I think ML by itself has a lot of hold the more you use but it can glue my hair if I use too much , plus it is expensive so I use cheaper products with it. If I could, I would use straight ML more frequently because of the great hold.
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered the leave-in and the veggie serum. I need a good leave-in with protein. Great site btw!
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Thanks for clarifying that KM. I am going to try it as is but do you recommend adding more to the ML for more hold?

I haven't used the Garden of Wisdom products. I really like the Komaza Califia line that has the algae extract, so I ordered the Seamollient to add to my FSG and maybe try it with other products.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have tried the Seamollient as a rinse-out a few times now. I am not sure about how much conditioning it gives but it does leave my hair with a unique feel; kind of a clumpy but smooth feel which may aid in styling. Also, I tried the Healthy Hair Serum; it is a little more moisturizing with maybe a little less hold and volume than the ML and not so much crunch. I think at this point I prefer the ML to HHS because I need more volume and hold but they are both great products.
    kathymack wrote: »

I haven't used the Garden of Wisdom products. I really like the Komaza Califia line that has the algae extract, so I ordered the Seamollient to add to my FSG and maybe try it with other products.

Just posted in the FSG recipe thread. I added a teaspoon of the Seamollient to my FSG. Hair was great. Only used the FSG and a little gel, some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Spiral-Spritz-p-915.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Sprial-Spritz-Natural-Styling-Serum]KC Spiral Spritz[/buylink] before I went out--and my curls lasted all day. Even after being outside for four hours!
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users
    Just posted in the FSG recipe thread. I added a teaspoon of the Seamollient to my FSG. Hair was great. Only used the FSG and a little gel, some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Spiral-Spritz-p-915.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Sprial-Spritz-Natural-Styling-Serum]KC Spiral Spritz[/buylink] before I went out--and my curls lasted all day. Even after being outside for four hours!

Ooo! Good to know! I've used the seamollient before in my homemade vitamin c serum and mixed with some oil for my daily skincare routine but never though to use it in FSG. Something to add to my GoW shopping list!
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    So I looked to see where I might be able to source Seamollient ( I live 5 min from the ocean) in Canada.

Is it just me or is ironic that one of websites that offers it is Colorado Organics? :dontknow:

I should figure out how it's made and make my own.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
    I stumbled across this old post on another forum I check out. Sounds interesting....
    I made up a lovely batch of leave-in conditioner using seamollient, and have used this for the last week with great success. It hasn't been humid enough to see how it controls the frizzies, but it sure does keep curls well defined and just makes my hair "stand up" better.

I have very thick, spirally curls. [Think of that greek actress in CSI and Providence, my hair looks just like hers] - Naturally curly hair tends to run dry; I can't claim how this will work on oily hair, but if you substitute jojoba for the avocado oil, it may be more suitable.

Master Serum: This can be used as a base for after hair treatments and after shower moisturizing.

In a 4 oz. amber glass bottle with a pump dispenser combine the following ingredients:
    1 oz. seamollient
    1 oz. organic aloe vera gel
    1 oz. rose geranium hydrosol
    .5 oz. avocado oil
    .5 oz. camellia oil
    10 drops suprapein [preservative]
    10 drops ylang ylang oil

Shake thoroughly before each use!

Leave in Hair serum:
    Use a 1 oz. glass tub with lid [I used an old EpidermxII jar]

Fill the 1 oz. jar half way with seamollient, then fill it nearly to the top [be sure to leave some room!] with JB toner or rose-geranium hydrosol. Stir thoroughly with a wooden or plastic spoon. Now add 4 pumps of the master serum and mix again until blended. The suprapein can be rather strong - if the scent is still not quite what you like, add a couple drops of lavendar or geranium EO.

After shower and other hair treatments, I place a little bit of this treatment in the palms of my hands and distribute it through damp hair, then scrunch the curls. My curls are left defined, soft, and somehow my hair seems to "stand" up much better. I'll let you all know how this is still working after a month!
    I'm still loving this! With the exception of camellia and jojoba oils applied to my hair after the shower, it's replaced all the commercial leave in hair products I used to use. Southern California has been experiencing extremely dry conditions and Santa Ana winds the last month. Even with the exceptional lack of moisture in the air, my hair has remained hydrated and shiny. I've learned not to apply too much, however; it'll get kind of sticky of you use too much, but then again if you want the wet look, this would work as a styling gel as well!

This same time last year when the Santa Ana winds came, my hair would get very dry by the end of the day. I used to hear it kind of crispy/crunch when scrunching my hair if that makes any sense!
    I obtained majority of ingredients [hydrosol, carrier, aloe vera and essential oils] www.mountainroseherbs.com. They DO ship internationally! The seamollient and suprepein was purchased from www.gardenofwisdom.com. Not sure if they ship internationally, but the owner [Markey] is absolutely wonderful to deal with.

The "master serum" I mixed up in the 4 oz. glass bottle is about half way used; I don't refrigerate it. Whenever I run low on the mixture in my 1 oz. glass jar [about once a week] I mix up a new batch using the master serum, more hydrosol and seamollient. I go through the seamollient more quickly.

On a whim, I added some macedamia nut oil to this week's batch. Filled up my 1 oz. jar half way with seamollient, 4 pumps of master serum, the remaining half with macedamia oil and topped it off with rose hydrosol. So far so good, my hair is absorbing the oil and not left looking greasy at all. Just softer and smoother curls, which is all I ask for. lol.gif

I already placed my GoW order for some seamollient, majik lockes, and the healthy hair serum to play with.
    Those recipes look really interesting helloitsio, do you think the scent of the hydrosol matters?
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Those recipes look really interesting helloitsio, do you think the scent of the hydrosol matters?

You know, I'm not sure. I googled a bit to find out more about that hydrosol's properties and found this:
    A fastastic hydrosol from the common flowering Rose Geranium. A stunning application for complex and combination skin types where restoring balance is quickly needed. Very balancing flower water for the sporadic symptoms of menopausal women. Lovely in the bathtub and very erotic. For cosmetic use only. (from mountainroseherbs.com)

Garden of Wisdom's website doesn't have much to say either
    Amazing scent; Restoring balance to irritated skin; Sensual; Excellent for hormonal swings

This is interesting however:
    Suzanne Catty says that it is a humectant, wonderful for dry skin, or mixed into a clay and honey mask (from naturesgift.com.

eoils.net also mentions that its a humectant.
    Apparently Suzanne Catty is the author of a book called Hydrosols: the next aromatherapy and google has some exceprts from the book here (/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fbooks.google.com%2Fbooks%3Fid%3DpidfN3SF2DUC%26amp%3Bpg%3DPA176%26amp%3Blpg%3DPA176%26amp%3Bdq%3Drose%2Bgeranium%2Bhydrosol%2Bhair%26amp%3Bsource%3Dbl%26amp%3Bots%3D2mylNb-S_V%26amp%3Bsig%3DsHK7nqIYJAcIwQpC86yvW1Q0fvA%26amp%3Bhl%3Den%26amp%3Bei%3DFu8eSoKBBZectAOXkuSMCQ%26amp%3Bsa%3DX%26amp%3Boi%3Dbook_result%26amp%3Bct%3Dresult%26amp%3Bresnum%3D8" class="Popup). I do have a 1 oz. sample of rose geranium hydrosol from previous GoW orders but I like the scent so much (surprisingly enough since I'm not a fan of florals) and it makes my skin feel so nice I'm not sure if I want to try the recipe out just yet!
    Thanks for the information. I'm not a fan of florals and have allergies. I think I'll take a chance on something else. We can all "compare notes" when were done.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I asked Markey what the difference is between the Majick Lockes and the Healthy Hair Serum she said, " the difference is in the expense of the distillates used. " To me, the serum seems slightly thinner and and less hold but I guess they are the same! I did get a bottle of extra runny ML and Markey replaced it; I am wondering if the batches vary? I was wondering about distillates also, if they do much for hair or not.
    I recevied my most recent GoW order (with seamollient, veggie hair serum, majik lockes in apple blossom and the healthy hair serum amongst other things) yesterday. Yay!

This a.m. I added about an oz. of seamollient to my latest batch of FSG and I think it helped a lot with the consistency; I add some oils (Oyin after bath oil), mag sulfate, citric acid, honey and agave nectar, and xanthan gum to my flax seeds (50:50 of brown and golden flax) and while the consistency is akin to that of biotera gel, the seamollient helped thicken it a bit more.

I scrunched in about a half dollar's worth of the majik lockes and felt a bit concerned since my hair absorbed it so well. I scrunched in some kbb nectar, my fsg + seamollient and topped it off with some mop top after plopping.

I just SOTC and I love how my hair looks! Nicely defined and bouncy waves with great root lift! My wave pattern looks even tighter than in my avatar - something I've been noticing when I usee kbb + fsg. My hair feels really soft but the fsg+ seamollient and mop top gave me a good amount of crunch. I'm wondering how it will hold up for the rest of the day.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    Helloitsio, are you still loving your Magic Locks and the rest?

I'd wanted to try seamoillient and was doing an order anyway with Garden of Wisdom, but now I see that they're back ordered on the seamoillient and it doesn't say when they might have it again. Heather, do you know if they run out and restock this pretty regularly? I guess I could write to them to see what's up. Do you ever buy from another source?

KathyMack, have you bought it, and if so, where from? Whatsercurl, I see it on that Colorado site, thank you. They sell 32 oz, but I guess I might as well spring for a quart. Can we assume that all this seamoillient is basically equal? Can't wait to do my GOW order -- my first time and I'll be buying some great oils I've wanted to try.

Thank, gals, for the info. My hair is telling me it needs algae to be happy. :iconbiggrin:
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
    Seamollient is a licensed product. I bought a lot and added it to my samples if you want to try a little before you buy a lot of it, too.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Helloitsio, are you still loving your Magic Locks and the rest?

Today's my second day experimenting with majik lockes so I'm still a bit unsure. Yesterday's hair was great but a little frizz crept in by the end of the day. I'm not sure if it's because I co-poo'd that day or if it's the protein. My only concern so far is the price.

I do love the seamollient in my fsg and I haven't tried the hair serums yet.
    Yes, the Seamollient seems to be out of stock quite a bit. Markey has offered me a cup from her personal stash so just give her an e-mail. The Colorado site is the only other place where I have found it. There is another sea algae gel but I can not find it, I thought it was on the long hair forum. I really want to find it to see what preservatives they use because I want to phase out the propylene glycol. I may even try to make my own; I guess you boil the algae powder similar to FSG, might try Irish moss and nettles with it.
    Okay, I found it. It is a fermented version of algae gel probably with butylene glycol in it. I will have to do more research.

Sea Kelp Bioferment
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D31835%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

sea kelp or SKB
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D25655%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

SKB experiments
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D25672%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

Best Source for SK Bioferment?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D25386%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

RAVE!! Skin Actives Sea kelp Bioferment
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D14945%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

Extending your SKB with Seamollient?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D22638%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

The Sea Kelp Bioferment Puzzle
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D22583%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

Seakelp Bioferment - $200 / gallon
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D22063%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup

The best eyecream to mix with SKB?
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.essentialdayspa.com%2Fforum%2Fviewthread.php%3Ftid%3D21002%26amp%3Bhighlight%3Dskb" class="Popup
    helloitsio, did you ever do the master and leave in serum? I got my hydrosol today--but have a busy weekend and might not be able to do it until next week.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]