Any1 else have multi-personality hair? Oh no- How can I tell hair type with this???

FlashdanceFlashdance Posts: 91Registered Users
Hi!

As my hair transitions from the chemicals & such...I'm noticing in some areas of my hair/scalp- the hair is....different textures. Some hair is wavy- like blunt, soft "S" waves...Other areas- it is very tightly coiled like that of a corkscrew...Other areas -it is very loose & barely has a wave/curl...And [LOL] in other areas- it has the curl the size of a drinking straw or jumbo pencil.

I have heard of "scab hair" as a term & I have several questions....

1. How can I really tell if I have "scab hair?"

2. How can one tell if some of the curl/wave patterns one has are the actual natural curl/wave. Does this make a difference in the hair's texture after transtioning because of chemicals interacting?

3. How am I supposed to tell what type hair I have now?

I thought my hair was 3b-4a. Prior to having chemicals/relaxed hair my hair type was soft, wavy/curly. It's always been soft & fine in it's nature. But now, I'm dealing (all @ the same time) with: little itty-bitty curls/corkscrews, waves of different types, medium-big curls that are loose & probably some hair that seemingly changes from coarse to smooth & back. Some hair seems to go back & forth.It's almost like my hair is having mood swings-LOL. Hormonal hair?
Other than this, my hair seems healthy, it grows fast. As far as product goes: I typically use natural or biodegradeable product on my tresses. Lately it's been Bain De Terre, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner & Ellin Lavar Textures. I DC with EVOO & other times Safflower Oil. Clarify with ACV & I also use "the" -Instyler on my hair as well to straighten.

Thanks for reading. I am hoping someone may bring some knowledge about this.

Comments

• FleurdeLisFleurdeLis Posts: 28Registered Users
    U know i have this same problem. I haven't quite figured out how to deall with it but I do treat each type differently. I attempt to stretch and use more product on the tight curls and not touch the wavy areas and hope to find a balance. Good luck
    Fine 4a/3c
    Natural since 8/08
    BC 7/09
  • bushbabybushbaby Posts: 18Registered Users
    Flashdance wrote: »
    Hi!

As my hair transitions from the chemicals & such...I'm noticing in some areas of my hair/scalp- the hair is....different textures. Some hair is wavy- like blunt, soft "S" waves...Other areas- it is very tightly coiled like that of a corkscrew...Other areas -it is very loose & barely has a wave/curl...And [LOL] in other areas- it has the curl the size of a drinking straw or jumbo pencil.

I have heard of "scab hair" as a term & I have several questions....

1. How can I really tell if I have "scab hair?"

2. How can one tell if some of the curl/wave patterns one has are the actual natural curl/wave. Does this make a difference in the hair's texture after transtioning because of chemicals interacting?

3. How am I supposed to tell what type hair I have now?

I thought my hair was 3b-4a. Prior to having chemicals/relaxed hair my hair type was soft, wavy/curly. It's always been soft & fine in it's nature. But now, I'm dealing (all @ the same time) with: little itty-bitty curls/corkscrews, waves of different types, medium-big curls that are loose & probably some hair that seemingly changes from coarse to smooth & back. Some hair seems to go back & forth.It's almost like my hair is having mood swings-LOL. Hormonal hair?
    Other than this, my hair seems healthy, it grows fast. As far as product goes: I typically use natural or biodegradeable product on my tresses. Lately it's been Bain De Terre, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner & Ellin Lavar Textures. I DC with EVOO & other times Safflower Oil. Clarify with ACV & I also use "the" -Instyler on my hair as well to straighten.

Thanks for reading. I am hoping someone may bring some knowledge about this.

i have the same issue as well but i think a lot of black women have that problem. i'd say find what methods & products work best for u and make sure you moisturize the areas that are the curliest. i also have corkscrews at the front right side of my head and waves from the crown to the back, then straighter on the leftside,oi vay! my hair is schitzophrenic!
  • FlashdanceFlashdance Posts: 91Registered Users
    Thanks for the responses ladies. It's cool to know my hair is not acting crazy on it's own. I'm thinking lately it's also due to me cowashing less & as well deep conditioning less. (I'm making an effort to build up the natural oils.) The Summer is coming & it's typically harder to deal with hair during this season so- it's going to get interesting. I'm multi-cultural with African ancestry which tends to impact the curl pattern. I really think my multi-personality hair is very much attributed to this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file