Help with my headbands

surfersurfer Posts: 38Registered Users
I'm growing out my hair, and I love the feeling of wearing it in a little puff with a wide headband. But no matter what I try the headband slips back towards the center of my head. I want it to sit on my hairline all along the edges...

Does anyone have any tips for me? It only happens when I wear the stretchy ones, wide or narrow. If I tie a scarf on, no problem. Maybe the stretchy ones are too tight? I even tried the 'no-slip' by Goody and it slipped right up there within 2 minutes. :-?

I know I could buy another scarf, but I mostly wanted to know if it was just me, or if someone else has dealt with this and found a solution. Thanks for looking.
3b/c - I love to wear it puffy, the more volume the better. :)

Comments

• crwrittcrwritt Posts: 705Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It sounds like they are too tight.Most headbands available in the stores are made too small for me. That goes for hats as well. I've been making some real quick headbands lately out of fat quarter quilting fabrics from the fabric store. The color and pattern variety is endless, and cheap. They are not really square, but you can fold them roughly into a triangle, fold them to you desired width, tuck in the raw edges,and tie to fit your head. Since the headband is folded, you can anchor it with a bobby pin or two if need be, and hide the pin in the fold.
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem, and it's only with the elastic ones. I've just resigned myself to making my own, out of bandannas, scarves, pieces of fabric etc. I think it's because my head must be an odd shape! LOL!
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

• aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Ah, me too. I wear them mostly at work (and did when my hair was longer too) and they always move. I keep them in the right position with barrette clips (small colored or black ones aren't so noticeable). I have a weird hairline that I like to hide with those headbands- never thought of making my own, that's a great idea!

Do you ladies who make your own put elastic in them or just tie them in the back?
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i have the same problem. i am transitioning out my colored hair, and wanted them to hide the gray coming in. i've been searching for bigger headbands. you can tell by holding them up, there are a rare few here and there that are clearly larger.
    i was able to find two in rite aid!! and they stay at the hairline.
    maybe measure the ones you have that are too small, so when you are out and about you know how long a good headband should be to fit you. otherwise, i guess making your own or using scarfs is the solution.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • GoatKnot6GoatKnot6 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Perhaps you could use bobby pins, and pin the headband to your hair? Thats what I do sometimes, and it seems to work for me.
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    ok so i thought I was the only one that this happened too. There was a huge rage in my early high school years for headbands, all my friends wore gorgeous ones to school and they'd sit just fine, all day. If I ever tried to wear one.. I'd be tugging and pulling it down all day trying to get it to stay in place. Such a pain!

I've even tried bobby pinning the head bands to my hair only to find the head band to pull out the bobby pins!!

my hair is really short now (growing out a buzz cut) and I found when it was shorter and even now I can wear ballerina bands just fine, they don't seem to move like they use to? So maybe length has something to do with it?? I'm really not sure.

like the gum:
    great idea! i use to make them for myself when I was younger. I have some knitted ones too for the winter months... that reminds me I did have a gorgeous cable pattern for a knitted one I should try!!
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • rachel_borachel_bo Posts: 17Registered Users
    it might not be super good for the hair, but i like to spray my hair with strong hold hairspray, and put on the headband while it's still wet. that seems to glue the band in place all day.
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    rachel_bo wrote: »
    it might not be super good for the hair, but i like to spray my hair with strong hold hairspray, and put on the headband while it's still wet. that seems to glue the band in place all day.

interesting concept
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • lit26lit26 Posts: 131Registered Users
    this reply may be off topic but it may help someone. I stretch my bands. I hammered a nail in the wall accros from my bathroom doornob (about 3 feet away from each other) and leave te head beand there to stretch for 10 minutes and then I double th headband up and put on my head line near me edges and it holds on all day! no headache either
    4b
    last perm 11/8
    Bc'd 4-9-9 :sunny:
    www.fotki/miamelove.com

A product to make tranistioning EASIER!:cheers:
    Scissors. Think of it like this, your mixing dirty clothes with clean clothes, you can use all the perfum you want (hair product) but the dirty clothes (permed hair) will never be clean, will eventually get old, raggedy, and eventually start shredding/breaking(natural&permed hair). Don't waste your time. Transitioning for most is a :boxing: fight that relaxed hair will win!
  • TaraVictoriaTaraVictoria Posts: 374Registered Users
    so I too am looking for a decent headband - I find thicker ones help as I'm trying to grow out this really weird shape I have going on - 1/2 bob, 1/2 I don't know what!
    I did find garlandsofgrace.com - she has some pretty stuff! just ordered two .... we'll see how they work!
    Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
    Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
    Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
    Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

:angel5::angel5:
    for the love of the lens...

http://animafoto.smugmug.com/

www.animafoto.wordpress.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file