CurlTalk

Cheap starter products.

loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
Since I seen a lot of new people asking about products I thought it would be a good idea to start a topic to tell what we use that is affordable, and easily obtainable at most local stores.

I use Suave Naturals and Vo5 conditioners to co-wash. The are usually .99-1.25 at most Dollar stores and Grocery stores.

For wash out I use GVP Conditioning Balm (Generic Value Products) from Sally Beauty supply. I know other people use LVPNG (Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for long hair in the baby pink bottle.) Both of those are 5.00 or less. Also I've seen that a lot of other people just use thier Suave or Vo5 as a wash out condtioner as well.

For a leave in I use a bit of my co-wash or rinse out conditioner.... saves a bit of money and I think it does the same job as a normal leave in.

For Styling I am using Bioterra curl cream from Sally's (that and the gel were 2/10.00. not exactly the cheapest but not the most expensive route either). Alot of people use the LA Looks clear gel that is under 2.00 at most dollar stores.
Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com%2F" class="Popup
In depth wikis :sign9:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyhair.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FMain_Page" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurltalk.net%3A8080%2Fweb%2Fguest%2Fwiki%3Bjsessionid%3D56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285" class="Popup

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:

Comments

• alot_of_curlsalot_of_curls Posts: 149Registered Users
    thanks so much, I've been wanting to know some good drugstore products for curls =]
    Length- mid-back; long layers -shorter in front:love5:
    Thick 2/3b normal porosity. My hair likes creme & gel combos.
    Currently using:
    • Garnier Fructis for curls
    • Suave gel
    • Co wash: Vo5 condish
    CG as of june 19, 09'
    =]

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Feccentric-curls%2F" class="Popup
    Curls
    are SO much more fun
    to play
    with ^^:icescream:

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    Thanks, I didn't know LA Looks was that widely available.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fkellygreen49%2F" class="Popup
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • cakj99cakj99 Posts: 575Registered Users
    thank you!
  • jwill112876jwill112876 Posts: 205Registered Users
    I totally agree! I use the Suave as my co-wash and my leave-in...it works great for me.

Also I just saw today that Giovanni 50:50 is available at my local Wal-Mart grocery store and it was only $4!

I still have yet to find the LVP ANYWHERE here in town! Driving me crazy! I wanna try it!

Jenn :)
    CG since April09
    2b ~ regularly
    2c ~ on a 'good' day
    Deva Products for Challenge
    co-wash ~ Suave coconut
    condish ~ BLCB
    style ~ JCRR & JCCC & BRHG
    clarify ~ BS rinse & ACV

:love7:Currently jones-ing for KCCC & KCKT:love7:

:wav:
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users
    The HE gels are very inexpensive, and widely available, too.
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I'll just add L'Oreal Out of Bed Weightless Texturizer, which I've seen at Target and WalMart and Walgreens.
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    I'll try to simplify the list a little and keep adding when others list or PM me. Let's put a price limit...say $15.

CoWash
    Suave Naturals
    VO5 natural line
    Honey Almond conditioner from Sally's

Low Poo
    Giovanni 50:50
    Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    Trader Joe's Refresh
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle

Condition
    Giovanni 50:50
    Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat
    GVP conditioning balm from Sally's
    Loreal Vive Pro NutriGloss for medium to long hair that's curly/wavy
    Trader Joer's Refresh
    Trader Joe's Nourish Spa

Leave-In
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    Your conditioner

Stylers
    Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee
    Bioterra Curl Cream
    Giovanni LA Natural gel
    Herbal Essences Body Envy
    Herbal Essences Set Me Up
    Herbal Essences Totally Twisted
    Homemade Flax Seed Gel (see the recipe board)
    LA Looks Sports Gel
    Loreal Out Of Bed weightless moisturizer
    Naturelle Hypo allergenic gel (Sally's)
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• sicapoohsicapooh Posts: 7Registered Users
    is TJ's TTT low poo also?
  • iamarenrattooiamarenrattoo Posts: 35Registered Users
    My favorite cowash is the GALLON (yes I said gallon) of Honey Almond Conditioner from Sally's, it goes on sale for around 5 or 6 dollars. I just use a ketchup squeeze bottle (from the dollar store, got a mustard one in the same package), and refill it so I don't keep the whole gallon in the shower...

As a bonus, it smells just like marzipan if you ask me... I love hair time, between that and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]... (which is more expensive, but lasts a LONG time.. well worth the purchase).
  • mlle_carriemlle_carrie Posts: 79Registered Users
    I just started the CG method again about 2 months ago and I am using VO5 as my rinse out and leave in....seems to be working pretty well. I have also tried the conditioning balm from Sally since everyone here seems to like it so much, but I don't notice much difference really. I am using flax gel that I make at home and my only "splurge" is the Giovanni TTTT, which I found at Wegman's on sale for $5, but normally runs between $7-$8. I tried co-washing when i first started CG, but my scalp was so itchy i couldn't take it anymore. So now I use a small amount of GTTTT on my scalp daily and that seems to help. I really wanted to try the LVPNG, but when i looked at the ingredients list, i swear I saw cones in there, so now I am off to search for a thread about that. Hope this helps someone...going CG has been very inexpensive for me, but I think my hair is about as "normal" as they come when it comes to texture and porosity.

• RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    I think the Naturelle (or Aura) Hypo-Allergenic Styling Gel (from Sally's) is worth mentioning here. Not the very cheapest, but it's about $6 for 8 oz bottle. It's a thin gel with I guess medium? hold, very easy to distribute, pleasant to handle, and makes hair very shiny. It's not enough hold for me, really, but leaves my hair soft and shiny and I think it deters frizz.

Cheapest best gel so far is homemade flax seed gel! I'm having very good results with just my first two batches.
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • aburdetteaburdette Posts: 26Registered Users
    i was considering buying the Loreal Vive Pro NutriGloss for curly hair today but an earlier post says it has cones... did anyone find out for sure before i go to the store? if it does, i'd like to keep researching on here.
    3b/4a very fine, avg/high porosity curly looking to GAIN LENGTH!
    open to learning all i can from this site and others' advice!!!:read2:
    currently shoulder-length :cry:
    DESPERATELY wanna be BSL!!
    taking: GNC Ultra Nourish Hair
    starting CG routine again :thumright:
    co wash and leave-in: Suave Naturals Coconut (but i've tried them all!)
    condish: Giovanni Smooth as Silk
    wanting to try: various oils
    :director:PUTTING MY HEAT ADDICTION ON HOLD!
    CG & (almost) no heat since 6/14/09

• loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    There is one Loreal Vive Pro in the light pink bottle that doesn't have cones. Make sure it says for longer hair on the bottle.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyhair.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FMain_Page" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurltalk.net%3A8080%2Fweb%2Fguest%2Fwiki%3Bjsessionid%3D56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285" class="Popup

White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
  • greenqueen09greenqueen09 Posts: 6Registered Users
    The reason the LVPNG is so hard to find without 'cones is because not all stores carry the bottle that's specifically for curly/wavy hair. Usually only carry the similar one with a-cones in it because it probably gets higher turnover.

I shopped two days ago, Walmart did not have the one we need (had the similar one) but Ulta had both. It's simple reading labels. Don't get discouraged. If you really want the silicone free LVPNG, don't give up at just one store.

== Pretty sure the silicone free bottle has an iridescent bright blue stripe on the front surrounding the text "for medium/long hair that's curly or wavy" ==

Hope this helps! :thumright:
    APL 3a/3b Botticelli Med/F ii
    Going CG again after falling off the wagon for a while... No 'fates, No 'cones!
    co-wash: Suave Nat coconut/VO5 --- clarify once/wk lemon juice
    HETT scrunch on wet, GF spray gel on dry or 2dh
    SOTC only in low humidity (doesn't happen often in Alabama!)
    :blob8: Want to try: KCCC, KCKT, AOHR & Deva products
    Green Queen's Fotki pw: gq09
    the text "for medium/long hair that's curly or wavy" ==
    Hope this helps! :thumright:

Oh, you're right, I always forget the whole text, I always just remember the long hair part. Thanks for posting that.

• greenqueen09greenqueen09 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Ok, so we're talking about going CG on the cheap... how's this????!!

I was browsing the hair care aisle at CVS
    and they have VO5 products for $0.77 w/ your Extra Care card.

:clock: I have no idea how long they are on sale, but if you go through conditioner like I do, you might want to check it out. I bought three bottles just to stock up!
    APL 3a/3b Botticelli Med/F ii
    Going CG again after falling off the wagon for a while... No 'fates, No 'cones!
    co-wash: Suave Nat coconut/VO5 --- clarify once/wk lemon juice
    HETT scrunch on wet, GF spray gel on dry or 2dh
    SOTC only in low humidity (doesn't happen often in Alabama!)
    :blob8: Want to try: KCCC, KCKT, AOHR & Deva products
    Green Queen's Fotki pw: gq09
    Just want to say that I love your avatar. 8)

And I believe I seen White Rain at Walgreens for $1.00 normal cost.

• domino 53domino 53 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I just checked and the Sally's Salon Care Honey Almond is on sale now for $8.49 for a gallon!!
  • Tomorrow Never KnowsTomorrow Never Knows Posts: 320Registered Users
    Being low on funds and having just started the CG routine I've gotten pretty stoked on it and have bought a few different conditioners...they're definitely all less than $15. Most of the Burt's Bees ones are around $10. You can certainly get honey pretty cheap if you buy it in large quantities. I also just bought a Live Clean leave in conditioner today that was about $5. For styling products, I bought an Alberto gel yesterday and used it last night. I woke up with well defined curls! I got it on sale for $2.50.
    Type 2b/2c, med/coarse, low porosity, medium density

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tangerine, Live Clean Moisturizing, CJ Daily Fix, GTTT, Tigi MM

Conditioner: Tigi MM, Jessicurl WDT, CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Daily Smoothing, CJ H&B Deep Fix

Deep Treatment: same as rinse out

Leave-in: KCKT or my rinseout

Styling Aids: Alberto/V05 Gel, HETT/HESMU, KCCC
  • mandirose1mandirose1 Posts: 69Registered Users
    I got LVPNG at Bed, Bath & Beyond today. It was $3.49 I think. They actually have a ton of stuff there, and it's nice to use those 20% off coupons! I also went to Whole Foods today, (and splurged on Jane Carter Nourish and Shine!) and I noticed that they had Giovanni stuff on sale. They had the GTTTT for like $5.99! They also have some 365 conditioners that are CG and actually have some nourishing ingredients. I got a yummy smelling grapefruit conditioner for $3.99. I also went to Sally's. They are having this buy 2 get one free deal on a bunch of stuff. But I calmed the inner PJ :love10: and just bought some nail polish.
  • KINKY TKINKY T Posts: 2Registered Users
    I Am A Newbie Mom On A Budget...thanks For The Info Please Email Me Any Info Tips, Product Info, And Etc. @ t.henderson0111@yahoo.com
  • NyloracNylorac Posts: 129Registered Users
    Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel! I just discovered this and I love it... super inexpensive too!

Great product for newbies. If you are just starting CG and need an easy product to put in your hair, it is a good one to start with before becoming a PJ.
    Chicago 2B, CG since 5/1/09, Med text, top of the head=porous
    Lo-Poo: GTTT
    Co-wash: GTTT/Mop MG
    CO: AOHR,
    AOGPB
    :thumbup:: BB's FSG, Re:Coil, CJCCC, BRHG
    Others: KCCC, KCNT, FOTE, WW Tiare pomade
    Done experimenting.
    My Hair Loves Protein :love5: And BB's FSG!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNylorac%2F" class="Popup
  • Lnm130Lnm130 Posts: 15Registered Users
    Where do you buy the FOTE gel?
    :blob7:CG since 6/28/09:blob7:

BSL 3a(?), medium texture, average porosity. I think.:dontknow:

Co-Wash- VO5
    Condish- NutriGloss, GVPCB, or Lutrasilk
    Stylers I like so far: Honey, KY, Bioterra, LaLooks Sports Gel, HESMU
  • NyloracNylorac Posts: 129Registered Users
    Lnm130 wrote: »
    Where do you buy the FOTE gel?

I bought mine at Target. I believe Walmart carries it as well. Anyone else know where it is carried?

KY Jelly is also a good starter product that is easy to find. I got my worker started on CG and she is using that.
    Chicago 2B, CG since 5/1/09, Med text, top of the head=porous
    Lo-Poo: GTTT
    Co-wash: GTTT/Mop MG
    CO: AOHR,
    AOGPB
    :thumbup:: BB's FSG, Re:Coil, CJCCC, BRHG
    Others: KCCC, KCNT, FOTE, WW Tiare pomade
    Done experimenting.
    My Hair Loves Protein :love5: And BB's FSG!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FNylorac%2F" class="Popup
  • lasaritalasarita Posts: 32Registered Users
    Nylorac wrote: »

KY Jelly is also a good starter product that is easy to find.

Even better is the Wal Mart generic version of KY. I think it was under $2, and a great alternative to [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] (CK) as the ingredients are pretty much identical.
    CG since 3/31/09... going curly is honoring God's creation! :angel10:
    2c /3a/3b, med. porosity, LOTS of fine hair
    low-poo: Giovanni TTT, Whispering Windz
    conditioners: suave / Vo5 naturals, Giovanni 50/50, GVPCB
    DT: Korres hair mask
    stylers: LASG, KY, Pink Boots!
    Wishlist for winter: CJ, KBB and a diffuser
  • Lnm130Lnm130 Posts: 15Registered Users
    lasarita wrote: »
    Nylorac wrote: »

KY Jelly is also a good starter product that is easy to find.

Even better is the Wal Mart generic version of KY. I think it was under $2, and a great alternative to [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] (CK) as the ingredients are pretty much identical.

I'm using the Target variety right now and am loving it!
    :blob7:CG since 6/28/09:blob7:

BSL 3a(?), medium texture, average porosity. I think.:dontknow:

Co-Wash- VO5
    Condish- NutriGloss, GVPCB, or Lutrasilk
    Stylers I like so far: Honey, KY, Bioterra, LaLooks Sports Gel, HESMU
  • sapphirestarr14sapphirestarr14 Posts: 86Registered Users
    how do you girls use the KY, it seems sooo weird to me to put a personal lube on my hair, but if it's actually getting good results then maybe I should try it....
    Mostly fine hair, coarse around my edges and nape.
    Definitely high porosity and insanely dense.
    Not so sure on the elasticity, but I don't think I have a very good moisture/protein balance and my hair is ubber dry, so I'm going to go with low... of course I could be very wrong.

Regimen:
    Cowash/RO: HEHH, AIA Coconut Cowash
    PT: Ion Effective Care Treatment
    DT: Any condish with EVOO+Honey
    LI: SM CES or PM The conditioner
    Styler: EcoStyler Olive Oil, KCCC, or Let's Jam
  • lasaritalasarita Posts: 32Registered Users
    I've tried it two ways. First, I put some in a spray bottle and mixed it with water. I had mixed results that way.

Then I went on vacation and because that tube was the smallest, I took it. I started applying it just like gel - about a quarter size blob, rubbed between my hands and scrunched in. MUCH better. Then I put LA Sports gel on top. I have nice results with this in very high dewpoint Texas (and Florida when I was on vacation.) Good luck!

Oh - and there are also people who decant the KY into a plain squeeze bottle, if you don't need it hanging around on your counter / shower. ;-)
    CG since 3/31/09... going curly is honoring God's creation! :angel10:
    2c /3a/3b, med. porosity, LOTS of fine hair
    low-poo: Giovanni TTT, Whispering Windz
    conditioners: suave / Vo5 naturals, Giovanni 50/50, GVPCB
    DT: Korres hair mask
    stylers: LASG, KY, Pink Boots!
    Wishlist for winter: CJ, KBB and a diffuser
  • dhughesdhughes Posts: 15Registered Users
    I just ordered three bottle of LVPNG from drugstore.com for $3.99. If you are a new customer they usually have free shipping with a $25 order. Could not find the kind for curly/wavy hair anywhere. I swear I looked in 8 different stores before I gave up.
    Mod CG 06-09
    2c/3a fine/med tex. Med porous, fine porous canopy, likes protein, color treated
    LoPoo: HSH Soymilk, NG Hemp, TJ Nourish, ACV rinses
    Don't cowash. Water rinses. Hate suave & VO5 made hair frizzy
    Protein Co: Tigi Oatmeal, EO's, CurlJunkie
    Protein free: HSH pumpkin, Curls Asian Tea, NG Hemp, Mixed Greens, JC WDT
    East SF Bay Area, CA - moderate hard water
  • dhughesdhughes Posts: 15Registered Users
    I meant that they were $3.99 each. Sorry if I startled anyone.
    Mod CG 06-09
    2c/3a fine/med tex. Med porous, fine porous canopy, likes protein, color treated
    LoPoo: HSH Soymilk, NG Hemp, TJ Nourish, ACV rinses
    Don't cowash. Water rinses. Hate suave & VO5 made hair frizzy
    Protein Co: Tigi Oatmeal, EO's, CurlJunkie
    Protein free: HSH pumpkin, Curls Asian Tea, NG Hemp, Mixed Greens, JC WDT
    East SF Bay Area, CA - moderate hard water