Hula hooping- does it work?

kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
Thinking of getting a hula hoop because I have heard they can help you loose weight on your waist- and my stomach is making me very self conscious to the extend I dont want to go out. :(

Is it worth it? Do I need to get a special 'weighted' one (expensive and difficult to get hold of) or any normal cheap hula hoop?

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Registered Users Posts: 7,578 Curl Neophyte
    i bought one and NEVER use it. i loved the idea of it but i just don't use it. i have a weighted one, not too big. i personally don't think the cheapy, kiddie ones would do a thing. i do on the other hand do pilates regularly and some belly dancing and that really works but if you want a hula hoop and think you'll use it buy one. it's harder than it looks. there are some good youtube videos of hooping. also i think there's a couple of threads around here about hooping/hula hoops if you do a search.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • CurlywavesCurlywaves MaineRegistered Users Posts: 104
    I haven't tried them, but a couple of my friends swear by weighted hula hoops. I've been thinking of buying one but I haven't made up my mind yet.

A word of caution if you do decide to try the weighted ones: start slow!! It's recommended that you start with just a minute or two and build up from there over a few weeks. One of my friends ignored that advice and started out at 20 minutes. Her torso & hips were one big, ugly bruise and she could barely move for almost 2 weeks afterward.
    Baby fine 2c/3a...modified CG since 07/30/08 & lovin' it so far :toothy7:
    Curlywaves wrote: »
    I haven't tried them, but a couple of my friends swear by weighted hula hoops. I've been thinking of buying one but I haven't made up my mind yet.

A word of caution if you do decide to try the weighted ones: start slow!! It's recommended that you start with just a minute or two and build up from there over a few weeks. One of my friends ignored that advice and started out at 20 minutes. Her torso & hips were one big, ugly bruise and she could barely move for almost 2 weeks afterward.

wow...

do you friends use theirs indoors or outdoors?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i bought one and NEVER use it. i loved the idea of it but i just don't use it. i have a weighted one, not too big.

This is me. I also love the idea of hooping for tummy toning, but what they don't tell you is: hooping HURTS! I tried and tried, but couldn't get to a point where it didn't hurt. My hoop now lives in the shed and the kids play with it occasionally.
  • CurlywavesCurlywaves MaineRegistered Users Posts: 104
    Curlywaves wrote: »

wow...

do you friends use theirs indoors or outdoors?

Indoors. One of them does it in her living room while watching TV. The other one converted her basement into a gym, and uses her hoop down there.
    Baby fine 2c/3a...modified CG since 07/30/08 & lovin' it so far :toothy7:
  • terriksterriks Registered Users Posts: 1
    Hula hooping definitely works! I lost an inch off my waist the first month that I hooped. You definitely need an "adult" hoop which is larger and weighs 2lbs or more. It is the only exercise that I have done that has done anything to reduce my waistline. I did get a small bruise at first, but it went away quickly and I haven't bruised since. It is a great exercise for your entire "core" and hips.
  • valencia8valencia8 Registered Users Posts: 15
    How do you know which weight you should get? I'm a little over 5'5" and weigh around 135, I don't want to lose weight just tone...this site http://www.sports-hoop.com/main_howtochoose.html said I should get a 4 Ib. hoop, but all the reviews I've read people have been usig like 2 Ibs...
    valencia8 wrote: »
    How do you know which weight you should get? I'm a little over 5'5" and weigh around 135, I don't want to lose weight just tone...this site http://www.sports-hoop.com/main_howtochoose.html said I should get a 4 Ib. hoop, but all the reviews I've read people have been usig like 2 Ibs...

this is the kind of hoop i bought. i don't remember why since i'm not experienced but i bought the 4lb power hoop. i never use it but i will tonight, lol!! it's a good quality product. easy to assemble. i did read that the heavier the hoop the higher the burn.

i also have one of [url=http://www.target.com/Weighted-Bar-6-Lbs/dp/B000BGIZ82/sr=1-1/qid=1247675041/ref=sr_1_1/191-2598275-8760449?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=0&rh=k%3Aweighted%5Ffitness%5Fbar&page=1]these[/url] that i actually use.
    oh my, i've been using my sports hoop. i FEEL it!!!!!!
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Ha! I never got round to buying one! I will when get back to uni and have some money for it!

Soluvmylocs- it def works then? I need to shift the tummy flab I have going on!!!
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    I'm thinking of buying one too. Luvmyloc, how is it working?
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius
    lol, it works good when i do it ;-) which isn't often enough.

haven't read it yet but there's an article in time mag about hula hoops "growing up" => article on adults hooping for exercise
  • jamaica68jamaica68 Registered Users Posts: 85

haven't read it yet but there's an article in time mag about hula hoops "growing up" => article on adults hooping for exercise

I read this article yesterday and it makes me want to hula hoop.
  • pulchri2dinouspulchri2dinous Registered Users Posts: 1,014
    jamaica68 wrote: »

I read this article yesterday and it makes me want to hula hoop.

Me too! Like kat, I had been curious about this product for some time now.... so I ordered one hahaha. We'll see what happens when I start using it.
    4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity

event.png

"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file