CurlTalk

Porosity Question

may1787may1787 Posts: 113Registered Users
Is it possible to have high porosity hair without having previously damaged your hair with excessive heat, chemicals, or dyes? Can your hair simply be naturally highly porous?

I have never dyed my hair, had a chemical treatment of any kind, and have maybe only straightened my hair at most, 3 times a year for the past 3 years. However, when I do the porosity test my fingers don't "catch" up the strand but they do "skid" in a way. Does anyone else get this with their hair?

Also, in regards to elasticity, if my hair won't even pull away 50% from my head (maybe 25%) does that mean I have low elasticity?
No-'poo since 28 Apr 09!
2c/3a, fine to medium texture, low to medium porosity, normal elasticity, medium density.

Cleanse: Deva Lo-Poo or Kinky Curly Come Clean
Condition: Kinky Curly Knot Today or Suave Naturals Coconut
Stylers: KCCC, BRHG, Moroccan Dry-No-More oil, Mister Right

NO: bad 'quats, 'cones, 'xanes, drying alcohols, sulfates, or petrochemicals.

Comments

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    As I understand it, sounds like your hair is probably medium porosity. Along with using a flat iron, the sun and the environment can damage your hair as well. From what I have read, damage can occur on "normal" hair at anything above 350 degrees, lower temps for "fine" or "damaged" hair.

Also, in regards to elasticity, if my hair won't even pull away 50% from my head (maybe 25%) does that mean I have low elasticity?

The test is meant to be done on a wet strand of hair that is detached from your head.:toothy2: I take one from the shower floor while it is still wet between my thumbs and forefingers and pull. Mine snaps pretty quickly so I need moisture.

Hope that all helps.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• may1787may1787 Posts: 113Registered Users
    mpgirl wrote: »

The test is meant to be done on a wet strand of hair that is detached from your head.:toothy2: I take one from the shower floor while it is still wet between my thumbs and forefingers and pull. Mine snaps pretty quickly so I need moisture.

Hope that all helps.

That is very helpful. I had no idea that the hair had to be detached. They don't tell you that when you read it online. Thanks!
    No-'poo since 28 Apr 09!
    2c/3a, fine to medium texture, low to medium porosity, normal elasticity, medium density.

Cleanse: Deva Lo-Poo or Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Condition: Kinky Curly Knot Today or Suave Naturals Coconut
    Stylers: KCCC, BRHG, Moroccan Dry-No-More oil, Mister Right

NO: bad 'quats, 'cones, 'xanes, drying alcohols, sulfates, or petrochemicals.