We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Posted a question on a site and...

mddermmdderm Posts: 61Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I posted a question on a popular question/answer site, and wanted to see what people thought.

I found a picture of a model with curly voluminous hair, and asked people what their opinion on it was. See link below.

There are 2 pages of responses (click next when you get to the bottom):

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fca.answers.yahoo.com%2Fquestion%2Findex%3B_ylt%3DAmhhsuNNVL7GdApjElysMDrAFQx.%3B_ylv%3D3%3Fqid%3D20090504215508AAOYJRZ" class="Popup

Maybe I shouldn't have posted in the hall of shame, but I wanted to share this with you.
What are your thoughts on these answers, were they what you expected?

Comments

• curloramacurlorama Posts: 9Registered Users
    Too poofy? I personally would kill for curls like that! It sucks that even the most defined, beautiful curls are still seen as "poofy" and ugly. Some people need to get their eyes checked!
  • PrettyMedusaPrettyMedusa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Most of the people who answered are stupid.
    Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
    Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Posts: 4,306Registered Users
    Most of the people who answered are stupid.

Got that right. Ugh. :angry2:

Poofy/puffy, in the way, too much hair, too short to be that curly (they're not even super tight curls!)...It's sad how everyone gives the same response, all acting like body is bad and someone's natural hair can be "wrong." There is no way what grows naturally from someone's head is ugly when it's healthy and happy. Nature is not so cruel.

I find in real life, even "compliments" tend to take that "your hair is too poofy" form.

When a friend visited me from Ohio last summer, I was excited to show her my hair now that I can take care of it (I had brushed out "Hermione hair" - which she pointed out - when we lived in the same place). I still shampooed and all, but I was working on keeping it moisturized, plopping, etc. and as I recall, it was looking quite good. We ended up having to go get her when my hair was still wet, and it kinda got messed up in the car, so I figured when I washed my hair again she could see it while not frizzed up and stuff.

When I did, I was delighted to see how nice and defined it dried. She basically paused and said, "I like it, it's like, poof poof!" and fluffed it. Poofy was the only word she could think of at all when mentioning my curls.

This is the same one who had said of the movie Hermione's hair, which they've been styling smoother and smoother (which SUCKS!), "She finally picked up a brush!" I'd of course said "No, it's the opposite for curly hair." Her response was "whatever" and a subject change.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • KranberyKranbery Posts: 177Registered Users
    Apparently I wasn't looking at the picture most of the posters were looking at. I didn't see anyting puffy or messy about her hair. And when her hair gets longer she will actually loose some of that beautiful curl, which would be a shame.
    Grow hair grow. People think you look funny at this length. :sad8:

Products:
    Jason Tea Tree Shampoo
    Jason Tea Tree conditioner
    Cantu Shea Butter, Avocado/Rosemary oil
    Egg Protein Treatments
    Burt's Bees Shea and Grapefruit Conditioner
    Hair, Skin and Nail Vitamins
    Oyin Greg Juice
  • may1787may1787 Posts: 113Registered Users
    Is it petty that I totally went through and gave thumbs down to all the ignorant folk? :rambo:
    No-'poo since 28 Apr 09!
    2c/3a, fine to medium texture, low to medium porosity, normal elasticity, medium density.

Cleanse: Deva Lo-Poo or Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Condition: Kinky Curly Knot Today or Suave Naturals Coconut
    Stylers: KCCC, BRHG, Moroccan Dry-No-More oil, Mister Right

NO: bad 'quats, 'cones, 'xanes, drying alcohols, sulfates, or petrochemicals.
  • AmdaAmda Posts: 251Registered Users
    A lot of people may not have liked the style, but that doesn't make them "ignorant" or "stupid". It just means that they have different tastes. If a picture of dead straight hair had been posted instead, I'm sure there would have been a number of "too flat"/"boring" comments.
    Fine and thin 2C in Australia
  • parzyparzy Posts: 246Registered Users
    I actually took this exact pic with me when I got a shape-up a couple of weeks ago at the stylist...

I told him that the cruelest thing you can do to me is reduce my volume and that if I was going to go with my natural texture I wanted to go ALL OUT!

That's my dream hair.
    2b (a fine 'n porous wavy)...and finally growing out :-)

Wash: Deva Low-poo
    Condish and leave in: OneC or Suave Coconut

Styler: Angell or the Deva foam, sometimes KKKC

Etc: Set It Free as a refresher

Protien: Looking for one

I love hairspray...don't judge
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,768Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Everyone deserves to have their own opinion, but seriously just because something isn't "in style" with teens doesn't make it ugly. And I don't understand how her hair can be construed as poofy or messy. Her curls are fantastic. I am jealous.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    I didn't understand why everyone kept saying it was not long enough. It looked long and curly (not poofy) to me. It makes me mad when I hear stuff like that. Automatically if someone has curly hair it is called "poofy". At least I don't have flat, lifeless hair. Stupid people. :Rolls eyes:
  • PrettyMedusaPrettyMedusa Posts: 619Registered Users
    Amda wrote: »
    A lot of people may not have liked the style, but that doesn't make them "ignorant" or "stupid". It just means that they have different tastes. If a picture of dead straight hair had been posted instead, I'm sure there would have been a number of "too flat"/"boring" comments.

No, typos and unoriginal, tepid comments did make them stupid, in my book. :-) It's like they were just parroting other people's comments. My favorite was one person who said something to the effect that people probably only compliment curly hair because it's different and novel, not actually because it's nice.
    Fine, porous 3a with some 3b...
    Co-wash: Suave Tropicals Coconut Conditioner (with shampoo bars 2x a month) Rinse-out: L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Leave-in: Lustrasilk Styling: CK, Pink Boots, KCCC, AOMM, HESMU, BRHG, CJ Aloe Fix Gel Post-Styling: Apply product to wet hair, scrunch out water with Curls Like Us, diffuse for 5-7 minutes Treatments: Vatika coconut oil, Kama Brahmi oil
  • may1787may1787 Posts: 113Registered Users
    I didn't understand why everyone kept saying it was not long enough. It looked long and curly (not poofy) to me.

I know! A lot of the posters voiced that if it was longer it would be less "poofy" but what they don't understand is that with a lot of curlies, length doesn't equal less curl or less, as they prefer to call it, "poof."
    No-'poo since 28 Apr 09!
    2c/3a, fine to medium texture, low to medium porosity, normal elasticity, medium density.

Cleanse: Deva Lo-Poo or Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Condition: Kinky Curly Knot Today or Suave Naturals Coconut
    Stylers: KCCC, BRHG, Moroccan Dry-No-More oil, Mister Right

NO: bad 'quats, 'cones, 'xanes, drying alcohols, sulfates, or petrochemicals.
  • izzeloveshercurlsizzeloveshercurls Posts: 4Registered Users
    Wow, reading those comments got me STEAMED! lol, the guys who answered are just stupid... I hate how that guy said, "No matter who you are, just straighten your hair..." Like, WTF? Since when do guys know how long it takes to straighten your hair?
    I LOVE that model's hair! It's natural, healthy, and gorgeous. Did you notice that the girls who called it "ugly" and "poofy" were all straight haired? They're JEALOUS!!!! Jealous, I tell you, jealous!!!!

In fact, that's exactly what my hair looks like, just black and a little less volume.The girl looks so free and independent, for some reason just looking at her makes me happier. If she had stick straight hair, the picture would look... lifeless.
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    LOL those comments seriously made me laugh. I love the really immature ones, they're great. Yes everyone's entitled to their own opinion and that's fine, but some people are just stupid lol. I would never take offense to any of the comments, because truthfully if anyone said they didn't like my hair or made a comment like that to my face I would just laugh. I'm proud to say that I have gorgeous hair and I've honestly never gotten a rude comment on it, but like I said IF I did I would totally laugh in their face and not even think twice or get angry about it.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    I only read one page of the comments, but it didn't offend me. People have different tastes. At least on the page I read, more people liked it than didn't.
    I thought it was gorgeous, but if someone doesn't like it, that's their business.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Wow, nothing to say about the answers, everyone likes different styles; but that is some awesome hair, would be dream hair for me.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • MixedUpCurlyChickMixedUpCurlyChick Posts: 2,568Registered Users
    Some of the comments were interesting from sociological perspective...someone said:

"i dont really like it. well i guess some people can make it look good, but i know i sure couldn't lol."

I mean, the ringlets looked perfect. It looks good as is. There was nothing "poofy" about it and "poofy isn't always "bad" anyway. I think some people are afraid of curly hair. I mean, they would split their wig if she had posted someone with type 4 hair. Then they would really think it was "poofy" or unmanageable. That's the scariest hair of all :toothy10:
    comic-p.jpg
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am really not surprised by the comments at all. A lot of people consider curly hair "poofy" or "frizzy" whether it is or it isn't. And as many compliments I have gotten about my hair people have often asked me is it hard to manage though.. I think part of that is because I have so much hair, but most of it is because I have curly hair.

So I think it's just ingrained. The majority of people want straight hair and think that looks the best and is the most easy to manage.

The magazines that feature stylists make comments about curly hair call it "unruly", "frizzy", "puffy", "poofy", "hard to manage". I was reading a magazine recently and they were showing techniques about how to style the hair no matter the type.

Know what they said about curly hair ? That it's usually frizzy and poofy and it needs to be seriously tamed because it's usually hard to manage and unruly. They said you have to manage it with with silicone products to tame the curls and fight frizz. It also suggested using a curling iron to "remake" the curls.

Straight hair was praised and basically they acted like all this hair needs is a fabulous cut and will look good period.

So I guess the comments didn't really surprise me and they didn't make me upset either. I know my hair is nice and I know it's not difficult to manage because I've learned how to style my hair. I recognize that most people are very misinformed about caring for curly hair even quiet often people that HAVE naturally curly hair hence why so many straighten. And well the majority of men DO prefer straighter hair and most women want straight hair because it's more appealing to men.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users
    reminds me of an elementary school teacher i had. he was always making jokes about how one of my classmates with uber thick 3b/c curls needed to iron her hair before coming to school. otherwise the "frizzy, bigness" of it all was a "distraction" to everyone else. nevermind that her hair was typically well-defined and rarely frizzy. to him, her hair was just too big.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

kalane wrote: »
    reminds me of an elementary school teacher i had. he was always making jokes about how one of my classmates with uber thick 3b/c curls needed to iron her hair before coming to school. otherwise the "frizzy, bigness" of it all was a "distraction" to everyone else. nevermind that her hair was typically well-defined and rarely frizzy. to him, her hair was just too big.

Seriously? That's pretty inappropriate. Must've done wonders for her self esteem :roll:
    comic-p.jpg
  • kalanekalane Posts: 424Registered Users

Seriously? That's pretty inappropriate. Must've done wonders for her self esteem :roll:

yeah, at the time i just thought he was mean, but now i realize how out of line he was. luckily, despite our teacher's criticisms my classmate continued to wear her hair curly throughout high school.
    fotki twitter blog

event.png

In short, the characteristics of the powerful, whatever they may be, are thought to be better than the characteristics of the powerless – and logic has nothing to do with it.
    -- Gloria Steinem

yeah, at the time i just thought he was mean, but now i realize how out of line he was. luckily, despite our teacher's criticisms my classmate continued to wear her hair curly throughout high school.

I'm glad to hear. Its so sad when teachers do things like that. As if its not enough for kids to get sh.it from other kids!
    comic-p.jpg
  • sosofashionistasosofashionista Posts: 6Registered Users
    My whole family has straight hair, I somehow turned out with 3b/c curls! In elementary and middle school I did not know how to properly take care of my hair and I did get teased a lot.

NOW, I have learned how to take care of my hair and I am proud to say--my hair is friggin' GORGEOUS. :D The only bad comment I can think of receiving about my hair since I've learned how to take care of my hair is from this girl who was just nasty and jealous--and a guy actually pointed out "You're just jealous cause her hair is nice and yours is BORING." She had silky straight hair that she always pulled back into a bun (def not hating on straight hair, she just always wore it in a plain bun).

Besides the guy who came to my rescue in high school lol... I have had many, MANY guys compliment my hair. Somehow my hair makes its way into pick-up lines LOL. One girl described me as "the girl with the awesome hair." But all this great feed back I get from guys and gals about my hair isn't what feeds my hair-ego LOL. I just really love curly hair and I think we should all celebrate our gift! If some stupid guy told me "your hair is too 'in the way'" I'd laugh! I can't even find it in myself to be offended. Those weirdos who think hair is only beautiful if it's "sleek and neat" are just closed-minded and boring.

In short, the guys bashing curly hair can't handle all our vavavoom and the girls are jealousss! :D
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users
    I really enjoyed the answer that simply stated "Please don't ask me"

LOL how helpful.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file