fine, frizzy, flat top wavies? can you relate?

frizzbombfrizzbomb Posts: 56Registered Users
I've been attempting some version of CG for a little while now and I still can't figure out a good routine. Today my hair feels dry and looks frizzy in some spots but the top (which is straight) actually looks greasy and feels really smooth. Is this build up? I have been using no silicones or sulfates but 2 of my conditioners have a little bit of protein. Gels (Angell and Jessicurl) seem to weigh my hair down and make wimpier curls and only fight part of the frizz. It seems to look best the couple of times in the past months that I've freaked out and washed with a non-sulfate shampoo. I wash it and then add a ton of conditioner (elucence), rinse it out add more Elucence as a leave in and then CK. I can't do that every day though and I would like more hold and frizz control then I'm getting. Oh and No-Poo seems to make my hair feel filmy.

Anyone have any ideas or have the same problems?
Extremely fine 2b/3a. My frizz has tamed considerably but, I still have my "moments."
Currently liking:
TJs Nourish, Set Me Up, Curl Keeper and Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana deep fix.

password: wavy

Comments

• stubbornirishhairstubbornirishhair Posts: 118Registered Users
    I don't have fine hair, but I can relate to it being weighed down on the top. You might need to lighten up on the conditioner, especially near the crown. Most wavy hair doesn't need as much conditioner as curly hair. I mostly just use conditioner from the ears down.
    2B wavy thick hair
    Fia=2a M iii
    modified CG since 1/12/06
  • frizzbombfrizzbomb Posts: 56Registered Users
    I'll have to try the "easy" on the conditioner. How often do you (or others) co wash or use conditioner?
    Extremely fine 2b/3a. My frizz has tamed considerably but, I still have my "moments."
    Currently liking:
    TJs Nourish, Set Me Up, Curl Keeper and Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana deep fix.

• MegnificentMegnificent Posts: 109Registered Users
    I do it every day. But for build up, instead of using a shampoo when you are frustrated, try a baking soda inse. I use a mixture of 1/4 cup baking soda dissolved into 1 cup water. I divide my hair into the top half and bottom half and rinse each. Then I mix some baking soda into my no-poo and massage into the roots. Then I rinse and condition as usual. You don't have to use more conditioner than usual after this rinse because it does not strip your hair.

Also, for frizzies, try combing a bit of oil (I love coconut and jojoba) into your hair and then twisting it into a bun before bed. Then shower as usual in the morning. It works wonders! I do the oil about once a week and the baking soda rinse about every 1 1/2 to 2 weeks.
    2a-3a

Fotki: curlymeg

Nature's Gate Awapuhi Volumizing Conditioner
    Graham Webb Making Waves gel
    jojoba or coconut oil as a DT

Hair is pretty great now that it's colder, now I'm focusing on my skin. Sniffle.
    Thanks for these ideas. Do you know how or why the jojoba oil works to fight frizz when conditioners don't? I am actually really interested in why I get so much frizz. Some days (like today) I can see hairs just pull out of the curls and frizz up as it's drying. I feel as if my hair being fine has got to be part of it so it always feels like I need to add some weight to fight frizz but not so much that its just limp.
    Currently liking:

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I don't actually condition wash very often. I use a mild shampoo, Giovanni balanced 50/50, once a week. Then every other day I massage my scalp under the shower. After washing or just massaging I use conditioner from the ears down. Once in awhile I might use Suave Naturals mixed with brown sugar to wash, and then do a vinegar rinse, then the conditioner.
    I think that oil conditions the hair, but because it is not creamy, it doesn't weigh it down too much and cause build up. I use the jojoba frequently, and the coconut is good as a DT once or twice a month. I don't know too much about the chemistry of these things, though. But I know they work for me!
  • UP LisaUP Lisa Posts: 98Registered Users
    Oil does not condition hair. It can only help to keep in any moisture that is already there. It acts as a barrier.
    2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
  • futurehopefuturehope Posts: 40Registered Users
    I have fine hair (strands), but I have a lot of hair. My hair is very dry though, no oilies.

I have so much frizz since going cone free one month ago and I have tried and tried everything!! Oils, protein treatments, moisturizing treatments, different conditioners, different leave-ons, gels, curl enhancers. (All no cones)

Nothing works. I am a 2b/2c mostly wavy, tons of waves from top of ear down. Straight on top.

I think that fine haired curlies have the most problems of all. I am considering using some light cones (wash out) or some of the less troubelsome cones.

I just cannot live like this every day.

I feel like that little girl (before cones came along) that had nothing to fight the horrible frizz.
    2B/2C - Fine - II / Modified CG / No Oil Routine
    Color Treated - Shoulder Length, Layered, Poofy & Frizzy
    Certified PJ because I am still looking for something that works!!!!!
    Love CJ Deep Fix & Suave Coconut Condish
    futurehope - same here! I feel like maybe some light cones might work better.

Honestly I feel like I can see the frizz start to happen about 2 seconds after I turn the water off in the shower. What are you planning to try?

I will say I've been having some success with shampooing (non sulfate) every few days, using tons of conditioner, a leave in, CK, Angell and Set Me Up Gel all scrunched in, in that order, on very wet hair. Its usually ok for the first day, maybe too and then I have to shampoo again. And when I say "Ok" i mean good at first and then fluffier and frizzier as the day progresses but, not horrible.

Is your hair thin as well as fine? I think that is part of my problem too -- no weight.
    Currently liking:

Are you two washing with conditioner? I would think that would help with the frizz.
    I had been but, it didn't help. Shampooing seems to for some reason. That may be different when the weather gets colder but, right now my hair looks best on the days I use a non-sulfate shampoo. Co-washing IS better than just water though on days I don't shampoo. I either co-wash or just use conditioner
    Currently liking:

Frizz Bomb:

You and I sound very much alike. I do not get oilies either, all my hair just stays dry to the bone. My hair (strands) are fine like yours, but I have a lot of hair so I have alot of weight to my hair too. I guess we are different there.

I am not sure what I am planning to try yet, but I have thought about the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-One-Condition-p-55.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-one-condition]DevaCurl One Condition[/buylink] C, has a washable cone in it.

Thanks for posting to me on the 2 wavy board!!!

I posted the ingredients to the Marc Anthony Curl Defining Lotion over there a few minutes ago if you would like to read it.
    By the time next summer rolls around I really hope I've figured this out!! The trial and error seems to take forever.

I PM'd you futurehope
    Currently liking:

• SunderellaSunderella Posts: 89Registered Users
    CG just did not work for me long term....I have tried numerous time to go back and cone products just seem to work better for me and using shampoo....I am a daily washer other wise my curl gets weighed down and I fight frizz like crazy...mousse also is a better option for me than gels I have much better luck with volume and curl enhancement
    2c/3a Fine Blonde/Silver
    I just switched to a deeper conditioner than I was using and started using a thick leave in and that now seems to control my poofy, frizzy, out of control hair.

Almost a bit too much though, because I lose a little wave pattern. (This is what I have to work on now).

I also find that I have to shampoo at least once every three days.

2B/2C fine strands but very thick full head of hair.
  • fraggleheadfragglehead Posts: 56Registered Users
    What kinda condish and leave in did you switch to? :?:
    2c/3a very thick!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight, because by then your body and your fat are really good friends. ~Author Unknown
    Hi Fragglehead:

Shower conditioner is Nexxus Humectress.

After shower use Aloe Vera Gel

then

Kiehls Leave In.

If you want to know my routine more specifically, let me know.

Hope this helps you :)
  • ChrematisaiChrematisai Posts: 85Registered Users
    I can completely relate to the flat top . . . if I don't treat my hair right, it's straight to the ears then *poof*. Cliping the roots for body the way Lorraine Massey suggests in Curly Girl helps alot, if you've got enough gel at the roots. As far as frizz control goes, I usually leave a bit of my normal conditioner in, as a leave-in, rather than rinsing it all out. And I find smoothing in some of the gel, rather than scrunching it all in from the roots, allows for more even distribution. It seems to work alright, even though I'm currently using some of the cheapest department store brands of product. I'd like to try some better stuff and see what happens.

It took me quite awhile to adjust the routine for the humidity, too . . . the weather makes a HUGE difference.
    "A face without freckles is like a night without stars"

~Jenny

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file