Layers/bangs stunting hair growth?

Eilis19Eilis19 Posts: 44Registered Users
I read on a different site that if you're trying to grow out your hair bangs and layers will stunt the growth because your body is trying to get the short bits back to normal length. Is there any truth behind this? I want to grow my hair out super long (waist length minimum) and have 3a hair that i keep layered so my curls lay properly and don't poof out at the ends. Should I grow them out and only get it dusted every so often?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Waiting for the day when the man who wears the combat boots at the foot of my bed comes home.

Comments

• EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    i dont think your hair knows how long it is, i dont think what u heard is true.
  • LynetteFlorenceLynetteFlorence Posts: 4Registered Users
    thats so silly, i had my hair cut into a bob in september (with layers and a bang) now its past my collar bone ( my hair grows sooo slow! :crybaby: )
  • curlybikergirlcurlybikergirl Posts: 18Registered Users
    Sounds like the George Michael hair philosphy--I tried it a long time ago the last time I grew out my hair, but my hair didn't grow any differently then than it does now with layers/angled around my face, so no, having bangs or layers won't make any difference; it just takes time to grow it. :)
    curlybikergirl
    Fia: 2c with some 3a around my face currently using: CV shampoo bars 3X/week, no conditioner, Dove Curl&Sculpt Mousse, Aussie Catch the Wave mousse/leave-in, Suave Anti-frizz cream, Dove flexible hold hairspray after scrunching. Air dry for looser waves, diffuse for more curl/tighter waves. :happy11:
  • amber83amber83 Posts: 1Registered Users
    Huh, I haven't heard of that before...but IMHO I don't think it would matter if you have them or not. I had very short hair with tons of layers and bangs and while growing it out (which I'm still growing) I had a delima. Either to keep the layers which resulted in more hair cuts because when layers grow they can look really shaggy or to look shaggy while growing layers out so I can longer hair and possibly get a one length hair cut (which I did). But I felt like either one would make long hair a distant goal. I went with the one layer cut because I had so many layers in it I couldn't even put it in a braid without pieces falling out into my face when it first got to my shoulders.
  • memee1978memee1978 Posts: 39Registered Users
    i heard about that on that site.i really dont agree....but ive never had hair that long.as far as the hair growing....ive seen a lot of past waist length girls wear their hair up a lot to keep the ends from breaking.i make sure that i seal my ends daily and i wear my hair in a bun half the day.my hair grows fairly fast.oh yeah....if you keep your ends dusted.......only when needed and take a good multi vitamin suppliment....you should knotice a difference in your hairs health...my openion only....use as a possible guide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2c3ab waist length when stretched or flat ironed or wet.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it's a bunch of whooey :) Look at my Fotki at how short I had mine cut in February and now it's back as long as before - with layers all over.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • neekie5235neekie5235 Posts: 101Registered Users
    yeah, i dont thing i'm buying that... no, i know i'm not lol
    3b
    medium coarse
    BSL
    last relaxer 07/2006
    some heat damage :sad5:

still looking for good affordable products. Any tips are welcomed :happy7:
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Surely that is not true. What does dusted mean???
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    http://public.fotki.com/IamDonna/

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/70_149/75_144/DSCN0395-vi573.jpg
    NEW PICS
  • CantFightCurlsCantFightCurls Posts: 88Registered Users
    IamDonna wrote: »
    Surely that is not true. What does dusted mean???

Dusted is like a small cut. Not getting a trim but just cutting off the ends a little to prevent split ends. You dont take off to much hair but you cut your ends. You only clip away a little bit instead of a lot. Get it ever so often and you'll have no need to get trims regulary.
    ~Meena :happy10:

I cant fight my curls
    I cant control my curls
    I really just let them roll free
    What else can i do? :dontknow:

~I have curly curly 3c hair w/ some 4a up in little corners!
    ~I'm have a love affair with the Ojon Line and faithfully use Garnier Fructis Spray Gel.
    ~I love all my kinks, coils, and curls even when I wanna rip them out! :cwm21:
    ~Trying to gorw out to BSL, any tips? Drop a mesage! :toothy10:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file