CurlTalk

Ways to put up short curly hair...

RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
So, we have the curly bob appreciation thread, which is wonderful. But what we need is a thread where all of us join together to find new, creative ways of keeping our adorable, amazing bobs out of our faces.

I mean, we can't just wash and style it everyday. Despite the shortened amount of drying time, it's still a bit of a hassle. So if anyone has any interesting ways of fudging second day hair with a certain style, share it! =]

Most of the time I use bobby pins to pin back the hair that gets frizzy or puffy when I sleep. Or I just use a headband, nothing interesting.

Comments

• curlygirl18curlygirl18 Posts: 355Registered Users
    Shockingly, I pineapple. I have hair between shoulder and chin. The bottom of my hair tends to fall out, so you could bobby pin, but in the morning, I have had decent hair lately, which is shocking!! :) I figured I'd never have it since I have short hair, but no, I have it!!
    Condish Faves: GVP Condish Balm, GDLI, GTTTT
    HG Stylers as of NOW: DMCCB, CJ CCCC, Boots, Re:Coil, SMU, BRHG
    ABSOLUTE FAVES: KCP, CJ AF
  • deletedelete Posts: 815Registered Users
    When I really can't do anything with my curls and don't feel like wetting it down, I pin it all up with bobby pins and then add a hair scarf or a thin wrap around headband.

The blond is me and the brunette is my sister.

• wavy wonderwavy wonder Posts: 3,061Registered Users
    Sarah grace-
    that bobby pin thing you did is great. You're giving me ideas and hope , as my hair is probably shorter than yours:)
    Sarah grace-
    that bobby pin thing you did is great. You're giving me ideas and hope , as my hair is probably shorter than yours:)

My hair isn't too much longer than yours, going by your avatar. I started doing this a few months ago. It's my fix when I want a ponytail since my hair's too short. I like it because it's easy and it can be dressed up too. I did my sister's hair for prom and she was such a knockout with this style.

This is a side and front view of my sister's hair in case anyone wanted to see more angles.

soooo cute.
    would you mind sharing how EXACTLY you do it?
    I'm so sick of my hair being in my face and when it's in a pony it doesn't look very good.
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    please give instructions, i am a terrible styler!
    I tried my own interpretation of it... hubs thinks it looks good. Who knew!?!? it looks messy , but that is kinda what i like about it. And it's very lose.

Oh and to the person who asked how to do it... my version was just taking pieces of hair and pinning them in the back of my head, and just kinda went around my whole head. Again, it's very messy, next time I do it I'll try to make it look neater:)
    Does it look too fancy, like an up-do? can I wear this style on the weekends etc?
    Bring on more fun shorty styles:)
    IMG_3848.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3841.jpg
    That's almost exactly how I do mine! It looks great!

My curl is tighter so I would pin the center of the back of my head more. Or else my curls would stick straight out.

I had written out my way for doing it and then my browser crashed... sadface.

• jwill112876jwill112876 Posts: 205Registered Users
    Wavy,

That is too cute! Makes me want to cut mine, just to style it like that!

Jenn :)
    CG since April09
    2b ~ regularly
    2c ~ on a 'good' day
    Deva Products for Challenge
    co-wash ~ Suave coconut
    condish ~ BLCB
    style ~ JCRR & JCCC & BRHG
    clarify ~ BS rinse & ACV

:love7:Currently jones-ing for KCCC & KCKT:love7:

:wav:
    thanks guys! I'm just so happy i have a cute, fun summer do'!
    and Jen , you could totally pull it off, even with longer hair.
    come on short haired curlies , post some fun, cute styles.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,571Registered Users
    Sarahgrace wrote: »

My curl is tighter so I would pin the center of the back of my head more. Or else my curls would stick straight out.

Oh, don't you just hate that! :mad: I try to remember to use a word doc instead, then cut/paste it here. Saves the headache.

Please re-type if you have time. I'll have to try this, my hair is a bit longer but it should still work. I have heard the you can loop longer hair before pinning to shorten it up. But I haven't tried it. :p

Very cute on all of you! :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • RozettaStoneRozettaStone Posts: 695Registered Users
    I tried my own interpretation of it... hubs thinks it looks good. Who knew!?!? /quote]
    Wow, WavyWonder, that is seriously adorable! I love it! I wish I could do something like this. My hair is really long, though, so lots of these really great looks don't work for me. I'm putting it up in buns a lot and trying to find new ways to do it so it doesn't always look the same. But that look really suits you!
    2-something? Coarse, medium underneath. Mid-back. On CG since 5/9/07.
    Washing COs: VO5 Blackberry, Suave Cherry
    Detangle and leave-in: Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm -- I found my HG CO!
    Seal with camellia oil
    Leave-in: Aura cherry almond
    Gels: Homemade FSG, Eco-styler
    Plus: SOTC or smooth with camellia oil, JC Nourish & Shine
    Homemade food-based DTs
    RC color
  • shellynotshellynot Posts: 1,140Registered Users
    i tried out sarahgrace's updo too and i like it a lot! i think if i were to wear it out, i would need about 10 more bobby pins though! Here's my pictures:
    P1030374.JPG

P1030370.JPG

i would love to see moooore ideas too!
    2c/3a
    curl blog
    curl album

"Your head is like a crown on you.
    It is as beautiful as Mount Carmel.
    Your hair is as smooth as purple silk.
    I am captured by your flowing curls."
    Song of Solomon 7:5 (NIRV)

Thanks rozetta stone-
    how it looked yesterday is making me think I want to keep my hair this length:) I tried doing it again today and it so didn't work out. For one i couldn't remember what I did, and didn't have the pics to look at and two my hair wasn't as curly, so it looked weird. I'll try it again tomorrow with hopes of nailing it.
    Shellynot-- your hair looks so cute! looks like a really cute 'going out' hair style. YAY fun!!!
  • Ashley911Ashley911 Posts: 13Registered Users
    shellynot wrote: »
    i tried out sarahgrace's updo too and i like it a lot! i think if i were to wear it out, i would need about 10 more bobby pins though! Here's my pictures:
    P1030374.JPG

P1030370.JPG

Hey, my photo is an idea for short curly hair piled on the head. Hope you like it. Ashley911. Perfect Curls.
  • Ashley911Ashley911 Posts: 13Registered Users
    Annarie101 wrote: »
    So, we have the curly bob appreciation thread, which is wonderful. But what we need is a thread where all of us join together to find new, creative ways of keeping our adorable, amazing bobs out of our faces.

I mean, we can't just wash and style it everyday. Despite the shortened amount of drying time, it's still a bit of a hassle. So if anyone has any interesting ways of fudging second day hair with a certain style, share it! =]

Most of the time I use bobby pins to pin back the hair that gets frizzy or puffy when I sleep. Or I just use a headband, nothing interesting.
    My style works really well. I keep the curls pinned up and it holds all day. Ashley911
  • RawrSallyRawrSally Posts: 1,388Registered Users
    These are really cute styles. =] I'm really excited to try them out.
    I'm not now because I plan on attempting second day hair tomorrow, so I can't mess it up too much right now.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    shellynot wrote: »
    P1030374.JPG

P1030370.JPG

Love the scarf idea!!
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
    CurliLocks wrote: »

Oh, don't you just hate that! :mad: I try to remember to use a word doc instead, then cut/paste it here. Saves the headache.

Please re-type if you have time. I'll have to try this, my hair is a bit longer but it should still work. I have heard the you can loop longer hair before pinning to shorten it up. But I haven't tried it. :p

Very cute on all of you! :)

Sorry that it took me a couple of days to get back to you...finals time. : (

Okay so I always start with a side part and then put on a wrap around head band. I grab as many bobby pins as I can find (generally 15 but it also depends on how poofy my hair is that day). I take a small section around the nape of my neck, pulling it up my head and put in a bobby pin about halfway up the length. I work my way around my head like this and when I'm finished I look like a lion. Then I take the loose ends and pin those towards the back of my head. I make sure not to put too much though into it, and try to keep it loose and soft with pieces intertwining and crossing.

I hope this all makes sense.

I should make a cool video like Mysterflavored or LauraLee!

Yes! That would be cool! :) So you pull all the curls toward the center back of your head?
    Yep!

Thanks! I'll have to try it before I wash next time, in case I make a mess of my curls. :)
  • curlygirl18curlygirl18 Posts: 355Registered Users
    Well I am a loser! I thought she wanted OVERNIGHT ideas so she would have SECOND DAY hair! Yikes, read, girl!! :) Anyways, I love all your ideas. I will definitely be trying them out when I have time, and as curlilocks said, before showering in case I mess it up. :)
    Condish Faves: GVP Condish Balm, GDLI, GTTTT
    HG Stylers as of NOW: DMCCB, CJ CCCC, Boots, Re:Coil, SMU, BRHG
    ABSOLUTE FAVES: KCP, CJ AF
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    CurliLocks wrote: »

Yes! That would be cool! :) So you pull all the curls toward the center back of your head?

I second the video idea!!:sunny:
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com%2F" class="Popup
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyhair.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FMain_Page" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurltalk.net%3A8080%2Fweb%2Fguest%2Fwiki%3Bjsessionid%3D56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285" class="Popup

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
    So, we've talked about how to do a cute "all up do". now... does anyone have any cute ideas for partially up? like braids or whatever?
    So, we've talked about how to do a cute "all up do". now... does anyone have any cute ideas for partially up? like braids or whatever?

I want to know about this too! I feel like my hair is at a length where I just look awkward with it half up but maybe I just need some fresh ideas.

Because of my loose curl pattern in the back, I have lots of layers to make it look curlier than it actually is. Does anyone else with short hair have a similar problem. Do you feel like it hinders your hair styles?

anyone? i am desperate, as my hair doesn't look all that good all down.
  • KurlyKatie429KurlyKatie429 Posts: 16Registered Users
    I just got my bob a few weeks ago. It's longer in the front than in the back. when I've worn it "half up" I've done one of two things.

1) I pull a small handful of hair on each side & just secure it with a bendy clip (one clip on each side) on the side of my head. Sometimes I pull it back closer to the back of my head & sometimes the clips are sort of in the middle of the side of my head. Make sense? Check out the end of mysteryflavored's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] video where she pins her hair up like this.

2) I use small claw clips for the next style. They are about as big as a quarter. On each side I take a small bit of hair at the start of my part and then start twisting it back and down, gathering more hair as I go. When I get to the top of my ear I secure that twist with the clip. Repeat on the other side.

If I don't have 2nd day hair tomorrow I'm be trying the pin-it-all-up idea. It's cute!!!
    I'm a 3b
    First sulfate wash: April 15, 2009

Current products
    Lo Poo: TJ's TTT every 7 - 14 days
    Co-wash: GTTT
    Rinse-out conditioner: TJ's Refresh
    Leave-in: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Styling: Beyond the Zone Noodle Head curl cream and Bioterra Styling Glaze

Also in rotation, but not using right now: Aveda Get Curly curl cream and Biosilk Rock Hard Gel

• Chelley MaeChelley Mae Posts: 359Registered Users
    KurlyKatie - could you post a pic of your second hair do? I'm curious abou this as i have a similar cut to yours but with more layers in the back. TIA
    2b/3A/ Fine/Med Porosity (i think)
    Mod CG
    Currently Using:
    Cleanser: Kathymack soap bars, Giovannie TTTT
    Rinse Out: CJ Curl Theory, Aussie 3 Min Miracle, Giovanni 50:50, Jasmine's Shea, Sevi Pumpkin Seed
    Leave Ins: Jasmines Babasu Buttercream, CJ CALI (HG), Jasmines Shea, CJ BCLI
    Stylers: CJ CCCC-Lite, Komaza CHP, SS CEJ, CJ SG
    Gels: CJ AF (HG), HEBE (HG)