So is molasses a humectant?

darcurldarcurl Posts: 586Registered Users
I bought some, and I wonder how it performs? Does it work like a deep treatment, improving the health of your hair in the long run? Does it only temporarily help hair look shinier? Also is it natural looking, is it a HG? Holy Grail.
2c, CG, soft, managed, curly-From NEPA
:male::female::binky::angel13:
MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
MOPTOP
MOP-C CUrL
INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
JESSICURL
CURLJUNKIE
DEVACURL
(BUMBLE, AUBREY ORGANICS, JANE CARTER)

Comments

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Molasses is very similar to Honey, so you could call it a humectant. Some prefer it because it doesn't have the lightening effect you can get from Honey. Some say it darkens their hair color. I've seen girls mix Coconut milk with Molasses for a great DT :)

you may find this helpful too

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96027

ETA: I still prefer Honey
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • darcurldarcurl Posts: 586Registered Users
    Okay aside from color, And i have done some good serches, I think i read jess the mess's in General discussion, she was also bringing agave nectar in to the conversation. But, I mean are these items, HG's? I have an idea of how to use them, but for their benefits, are they like really noticable? I actually went out and bought the full gammet, whatever I do not use on my hair I will just eat, I bought organic light agave nectar, organic molasses, organic wildflower honey, and apple cider vinegar.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    I guess you've got some experimenting to do! Honey is my HG for sure in the Summer. Anyone that knows me around here knows how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE HONEY. Some think Agave has more hold, I do not. ACV is a great way to perk up your hair and somewhat clarify. Add some Honey to ACV and it makes you smell less like salad :lol: and it gives it an extra dose of shine, hold and definition as an added perk.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Yes, judgin fro mmy experience, honey is the most used around here. Agave is gaining popularity, and I do not hear often of molasses being used. Acv is used by many as well.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    I actually just opened my bottle of organic blackstrap molasses, and i got a bit on my finger, so I tasted it off of my finger. And wow, that taste is so potent, my gosh, and even the smell, not at all like the honey or agave nectar.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    Ahh, I just finished cleaning myself up. Feels so nice. I did cowash, then rinseout, then acv rinse, then honey rinse, then leave in. I am now just plunking and websurfing. Now to grab a snack. What a life.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    Well if you think of the consistency of the three of these, honey is the most sticky. For me that's a good thing because I want strong hold. For you that may not be as important so Agave or Molasses at least in a Rinse form would be the softest of the 3. In your condish it won't matter cuz you're rinsing it out anyway. If you're going to use it in your Gel for more control etc. I would stick with Agave, Honey can be tricky then.
    Discovered CG 2007

Hmm, tricky. I like tricky. Thanks for the tips. My molasses smells like black licorice. Anyway, I don't rinse my rinse out 100%, i let some in. I could mix some in with my leave in as well.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    I would say that this morning my hair was not spectacular, not anything i would go out in. Overall I would consider the treatment a conditioning treatment, last night I did not use any stylers as a side note. I awoke and reshowered, only wetting my hair, and leave in and added a gel, combed through and plunked, so I am happy with the HoneyGar treatment, but also as a note, I did the Honey and The Gar separate, two rinses, Gar followed by honey.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    Well we can say, the day after, though i wasn't immediately aware of any results from the honeygar, i even dismissed it as useless for a time. Later though, i did take some photos of myself, just for fun and for a friend. I could say coincidence, but the shiny, lively curls i had, which i haven't noticed in the days before, were making an appearance.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
  • mozekemozeke Posts: 480Registered Users
    I love molasses in my DT. It is awesome. I use a coconut cream, molasses, and banana blend and my hair is soft, shiny, and the molasses loosens my curl pattern. ( I said loosen not change). I stated using it b/c I like dark hair and after reading that continuous use of honey will lighten your hair I switch up quick.
    Last relaxer: 12/10/07
    BC date: 5/2/08
    It's your hair...do what you wanna do

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file