We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

What do you use as a Leave-In?

I've been using GDLI, but it just seems sort of hit and miss with me. As you all know im hoping to buy some new products soon, and I would love for someone to recommend a good Leave-In. I was looking at Fast Food, but it has cones, and im trying to get away from them.

SOOO what do you use?
CG Since : 03/15/09
3A, fine, low porosity
My Curr. Faves:
Cleansers: Daisy Fuentes C&W
Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm, GPB, LVPNG
Stylers: LVPNG, BRHG, KCCC, GVP CB
updated 04/29/2009

Comments

• CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    I just mentioned in another thread that I've been using Trader Joe's Nourish as a leave in.. and I'm liking it.
    I may change my tune next week.. but it's working for now.
    I know that some curlies use Sauve with good results.

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • CurlyCaraCurlyCara Posts: 399Registered Users
    Pshhh Unfortunately I have No Trader Joes near me, and I cant use Suave it gives me TONS of frizz.
    3A, fine, low porosity
    My Curr. Faves:
    updated 04/29/2009
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    How about Biolage? I wouldn't buy any, but if you have some lying around.

3a/3b

Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nope. None of that either.
    3A, fine, low porosity
    My Curr. Faves:
    updated 04/29/2009
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I use either [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink] or Jane Carter's Revitalizing Leave-In. The JC is a lightweight spray if you don't need as much moisture.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • susieQ730susieQ730 Posts: 97Registered Users
    I've used both the LPVNG and the GF Body Boost or Moisture Works (new formulation, only contains the "a-cone") with good results. I don't have the GF Sleek & Shine, because I'm pretty sure when I read the back of the bottle it had more than just the a-cone in it, but it would probably work just as well. HTH!
    CG since 7/08--Eastern PA
    3a fine/medium, normal to low porosity, med density
    CO wash/Cond: LVPNG, Kenra, TIGI MM
    Styling: GDLI, CK and any gel
    VISIT MY ETSY SHOP: www.dreambelledesign.etsy.com
    fotki pw: hair
    event.png
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
  • hockeymomof3hockeymomof3 Posts: 2,159Registered Users
    Sometimes I use a bit of ISO bouncy creme - no cones, love how it feels in my hair - it doesn't smell good though! ugh...but I still love it!
    3b/a
    Cowash - No Poo
    Conditioner - One Condition
    Gel - Light Defining Gel

Looking to try Devacurl Decadence line next! Can't wait to try it.
  • tinahtinah Posts: 1,195Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    susieQ730 wrote: »
    I've used both the LPVNG and the GF Body Boost or Moisture Works (new formulation, only contains the "a-cone") with good results. I don't have the GF Sleek & Shine, because I'm pretty sure when I read the back of the bottle it had more than just the a-cone in it, but it would probably work just as well. HTH!

I have the GF sleek & shine and it now has no cones in it at all. I use it as a leave in sometimes. Mostly, I use the GVP conditioning balm.
    CG - 3/27/09
    3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
    Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
    Styling: lube and BRHG
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    I'm loving Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and I've consistently had great hair days.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OperaCurlsOperaCurls Posts: 1,101Registered Users
    Burt's Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate-somethingorother Conditioner is nice and light: makes my hair feel light and clean, gives great shine, and smells great. Glycerin is pretty high up on the ingredient list, so I only use it under a glycerin-free styler, like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink].

LVPNG: the protein made my curls defined and perky, and it was a great detangler, but I can't find it anywhere anymore. Figures.

Giovanni 50:50 Conditioner: I was worried that this would be too heavy for my hair, but it's been working great for the last few weeks under the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel-p-941.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curl-Assurance-Aloe-Fix-Hair-Styling-Gel]CJ Aloe Fix[/buylink] gel.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fopera-curls%2F" class="Popup (I cut my own hair)
    Pacific Northwest girl, color-treated fine 3B, med-low porosity

Products: Suave Coconut condish, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, FSG or KCCC, AfroVeda Shea-Amla Cream
    I LOVE HENNA!
    I think I decided to get some Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave In Conditioner, I was gettting quite a few of their other products to. I think ill just guve it a try. But thank you Opera Curls thats a great suggestion because its something I can get locally.
    3A, fine, low porosity
    My Curr. Faves:
    updated 04/29/2009
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I stopped using a LI once Spring came but the best for me was LOOC or the Shea Mango which you have. I liked the Olive oil better it wasn't as heavy for me, but for you it may be work. Have you tried using just a bit of your Rinse out as a LI????
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • AdeleAdele Posts: 30Registered Users
    As a leave-in, I only use homemade or natural products. And anyway, I live in Europe so I don't have the same products as you do. ;)

So, as a leave-in I use a homemade balm, made with sheabutter, vegetable oils, beeswax, vitamin E and essential oils.

Or sometimes I just use some basic alcohol-free gel, with some vegetable oil (such as jojoba). :)
    No Del My love I havent. I guess I can try that for now. Instead of buying something especially for a LI. I guess its sort of silly. Ill try the Shea Mango again, Ive been experimenting the Giovanni 50/50, I also have LVPNG but its not the normal kind its for dry and damaged hair, and I also recently got Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine, which Ill try.
    DEL2C wrote: »
    I stopped using a LI once Spring came but the best for me was LOOC or the Shea Mango which you have. I liked the Olive oil better it wasn't as heavy for me, but for you it may be work. Have you tried using just a bit of your Rinse out as a LI????
    3A, fine, low porosity
    My Curr. Faves:
    updated 04/29/2009
  • JusduitJusduit Posts: 578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    msgiblet wrote: »
    I'm loving Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In. I've been using it for the past 2 weeks and I've consistently had great hair days.

Oh geez MsG, I've been trying to put off ordering some of this but you just pushed me over the edge! :mrgreen: Here's to 2 weeks of consistently great hair days! :occasion5:
    3a (protein sensitive)
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Cleansers: Mop-C Hydrating Shampoo, JCGLS
    Conditioners: CJCR, TJTTT
    Leave-in: CJCR, CK Satin Roots
    Stylers: UFDCM, CJPP
    Standby items:GVP K-Pak
    :occasion5:
    Jusduit wrote: »
    msgiblet wrote: »

Oh geez MsG, I've been trying to put off ordering some of this but you just pushed me over the edge! :mrgreen: Here's to 2 weeks of consistently great hair days!

:occasion5: After 3 years, this is the first leave-in I can say I actually LOVE. I was using a little Suave Coconut for a leave-in for awhile with pretty good results, but there's no comparison to the CJ!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fmsgiblet%2F" class="Popup - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oops - DP.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Posts: 667Registered Users
    My favorite regular conditioner , Komaza Aloe or KBB Milk.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    I use AOHR or KBB Hair Milk.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
  • susieQ730susieQ730 Posts: 97Registered Users
    I have the GF sleek & shine and it now has no cones in it at all. I use it as a leave in sometimes. Mostly, I use the GVP conditioning balm.

Ok I've been to Target, Walgreen's, Giant, Rite Aid, Walmart , CVS, and the list goes on and on...
    I've check out the GF S & S at all of these stores, the bottle has the word "new" on it...so I know I'm looking at the same bottle in all the places. Anyway, long story short...I see silicones--although water soluble, they can build up, if you don't poo--and I don't. Please tell me where you are getting yours that doesn't contain them...thanks so much!

Here's the ingredients list:
    Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Amodimethicone, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Cetyl Esters, Lauryl PEG/PPG 18/18 Methicone, Methylparaben, Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil), Niacinamide, Pyridoxine HCl, Trideceth 12, Citric Acid, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot Kernel Oil), Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane Extract), Chlorhexidine Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Linalool, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citrus Limonum (Lemon Peel Extract), Camellia Sinensis (Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract)
    CG since 7/08--Eastern PA
    3a fine/medium, normal to low porosity, med density
    CO wash/Cond: LVPNG, Kenra, TIGI MM
    Styling: GDLI, CK and any gel
    VISIT MY ETSY SHOP: www.dreambelledesign.etsy.com
    fotki pw: hair
    event.png
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't buy leave-ins -- they are just watered-down conditioners. Any conditioner in my stash gets used like a leave-in and they work just great!
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fjillipoo.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • modegrrlmodegrrl Posts: 273Registered Users
    I "went curly" several years ago and I've always liked Nexxus Humectress, just a nickel-sized amount at a time. But now they've changed the formula. At least I know that big bottle I bought will last a while.
    "For many years the National Pretend Speed Limit was fifty-five miles per hour"--Dave Barry

PW: frizzella
    Yeah I jsut decided to use what I have, and I find my GF S&S at Walmart.
    3A, fine, low porosity
    My Curr. Faves:
    updated 04/29/2009

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file