juicing greens anyone?

Sapphire_ChicSapphire_Chic Registered Users Posts: 189
hope i dont scare everyone away with this thread.
Today i had my first green smoothie. i had read about all the benifits and psyched myself up for the taste. but i have to say it wasn't all that bad.
i had in mine: spinach, carrot, spring onion and an apple. initially i tried to drink it with the chunks :pukeright:not literally but i would not reccomend this for a fist timer after i strained it i thought it was a breeze.

once you get past the taste, and realise how awesome it is for your body you start to feel really good. like you are doing a good deed to our body kind of lol hope it thanks me :happy2:

i plan on rotating my greens as you can develop an allergy drinking the same green smoothie for very long periods of time. i want to try adding grapes for the taste and maybe different types of lettuce as they are mild in taste..ooh and some mint :snorting:

i havent quite finished the one i am drinking but i know this is just the start for me. i know it may sound abit excessive..it certainly does to the bf (he doesn't see the point in eating if it doesn't taste good, i see his point but it just about rules out veg for him lol) but i just figure we only get 1 body in this life and prevention is the best cure, who knows what kind of illnesses i may be diverting with just eating right and doing a lil exercise [/end sermon/] :viking:

So is anyone else juicing greens?:toothy9:
Henna and shea butter. Next to try are shampoos bars (still <3 baking soda)
Fotki personal 'NO centre parting for the rest of the year' challenge

event.png

weight.png

Comments

• wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I do this! Like you, I feel good about doing it. Every day I think, "Did I get my veggies today?" And even if I haven't been too good about it, if I had one of these I know I did alright.

I also find that the taste is acquired. It really doesn't registered me as odd-tasting at all anymore. I always put frozen strawberries in mine though, and that really helps offset any "grassiness."
  • Sapphire_ChicSapphire_Chic Registered Users Posts: 189
    thanks for the strawberry idea wild hair, i really hope i do become accustomed to the taste because so it doesn't feel like a chore.
    how long have you been drinking them, any noticable differences in your body?

event.png

weight.png
  • WavingNotCurlingWavingNotCurling Registered Users Posts: 150
    I find that baby spinach and celery taste best and that strawberries, blueberries and bananas can cover most any "yuck" factor. I'm bad at rotating, but didn't see any adverse effects.
    *CG for wavies. Type 2/3ab mix.
    (overgrown) Inverted bob.
    *Conditioner - VO5, Oyin, Goth Rosary
    *Gel - Origins, Jessicurl or Lush
    *Lo-Poo - Carols Daughter
  • wild~hairwild~hair Registered Users Posts: 9,890 Curl Neophyte
    thanks for the strawberry idea wild hair, i really hope i do become accustomed to the taste because so it doesn't feel like a chore.

Usually when I am doing this, I am also better about eating healthier and exercising. I find it all goes hand in hand. :)

So I cannot pinpoint if there are specific changes in my body from this, because I'm doing all those other things too. But from all of that, I have more energy and I look younger and have more of a glow.
    I find that baby spinach and celery taste best and that strawberries, blueberries and bananas can cover most any "yuck" factor. I'm bad at rotating, but didn't see any adverse effects.
    ooh really, i wont worry too much about it then. thanks for the fruit ideas, apple doesn't really mask the taste much. i would have never thought bananas but im going to have to try that one 8)

event.png

weight.png
    wild~hair wrote: »

Usually when I am doing this, I am also better about eating healthier and exercising. I find it all goes hand in hand. :)

So I cannot pinpoint if there are specific changes in my body from this, because I'm doing all those other things too. But from all of that, I have more energy and I look younger and have more of a glow.
    yes i know exactly what you mean, its like you are making such a big effort to get these wonderful nutrients into your body you feel like why stop here :cheese:
    I was knackered yesterday, the complete opposite of what i expected to be feeling with this green drink and other whole food supplements i started taking but upon reading up on it, i found out lethargy is a detox sign, especially of the liver and it should pass wooo :)

event.png

weight.png
    celery, asparagus, greens and cucumber tasted totally OK think i may stick with this for a while. and i can definately say my energy levels are UP :thumbup:

event.png

weight.png
  • newcurlynewcurly Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    I do cucumber, lemon, spinach, and kale. :)
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
  • amiiraamiira Registered Users Posts: 88
    There are ways to make it taste good. I usually mix spinach or other assorted greens with apples and organges and a bit of honey. I can share my specific recipe if you're interested, because it is delicious! It helps my health too. It has really helped me maintain my iron levels, and I notice after a while I have clearer skin. Also, if I don't get proper nutrition I can get sick before my periods - not when I have this stuff in my diet! I can't say enough good things about it. I try and do it when I remember.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe MassachusettsRegistered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    If you eliminate the spring onion, you may get a better tasting smoothie.

I use a greens powder (Nutricology Progreens) with mine -- recipe below is a "mojito" breakfast smoothie:

1/4 ripe avocado
    1/4 cup of fresh mint
    juice of one lime
    agave syrup or stevia (or both)
    ice
    very small bit of frozen banana (1/4 at most)
    I also add some frozen pineapple
    scoop of greens powder
    scoop of whey protein
    water (3/4 cup or so)

Blend and enjoy.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    newcurly wrote: »
    I do cucumber, lemon, spinach, and kale. :)
    thanks, those items are definately on my shopping list although i was abit scared off of using spinach i'll give it another go :)

event.png

weight.png
    amiira wrote: »
    There are ways to make it taste good. I usually mix spinach or other assorted greens with apples and organges and a bit of honey. I can share my specific recipe if you're interested, because it is delicious! It helps my health too. It has really helped me maintain my iron levels, and I notice after a while I have clearer skin. Also, if I don't get proper nutrition I can get sick before my periods - not when I have this stuff in my diet! I can't say enough good things about it. I try and do it when I remember.
    oh please do because these smoothies are definately a keeper, i drink them before lunch to help me eat abit less..at the moment that comes from feeling slightly nauseated though :sad3:lol

event.png

weight.png
    If you eliminate the spring onion, you may get a better tasting smoothie.

I use a greens powder (Nutricology Progreens) with mine -- recipe below is a "mojito" breakfast smoothie:

1/4 ripe avocado
    1/4 cup of fresh mint
    juice of one lime
    agave syrup or stevia (or both)
    ice
    very small bit of frozen banana (1/4 at most)
    I also add some frozen pineapple
    scoop of greens powder
    scoop of whey protein
    water (3/4 cup or so)

Blend and enjoy.
    thanks for the recipe and the tip, yea i ditched the spring onion after that first smoothie it had abit too much of a kick.

i'm also ditching the celery. i hate to lose whatever it is giving me nutritionally but i've never liked the taste of raw celery and i think it is what is Making me feel sick after drinking it.
    also tip to self: pre chopping veggies can be time saving but it doesn't stay fresh long...especially cucumbers :sad3:

event.png

weight.png
  • newcurlynewcurly Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    I did cucumber, lemon, spinach, and frozen strawberries today. Yum! After a few months of regular partying/celebrations, I was feeling icky all over. Decided that I would try to detox a bit before graduation next week, so I'm actually going veggie for the week! Stocked up on larabars, juicing supplies and other veggies :)
    "Well I love that dirty water. Oh, Boston, you're my home!"
    newcurly wrote: »
    I did cucumber, lemon, spinach, and frozen strawberries today. Yum! After a few months of regular partying/celebrations, I was feeling icky all over. Decided that I would try to detox a bit before graduation next week, so I'm actually going veggie for the week! Stocked up on larabars, juicing supplies and other veggies :)
    that sounds like a good idea for a detox ...i am in desperate need of something similar :-?

event.png

weight.png
  • amiiraamiira Registered Users Posts: 88
    amiira wrote: »
    oh please do because these smoothies are definately a keeper, i drink them before lunch to help me eat abit less..at the moment that comes from feeling slightly nauseated though :sad3:lol

What I do is pour a cup of water in the blender then put in baby spinach and blend until it reaches the 2 cup line. Then I slice apples - it takes a lot - until I fill up the blender. Sometimes I'll put in an orange too instead of one of the apples. Then I add honey until it's sweet enough. I use more honey if I am using an orange because that can make it kinda bitter, but I use less if I'm using something that's naturally very sweet and has its own strong taste like green apples. It's not amazing, but it's definitely not bad.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file