CurlTalk

Google Search Feature

DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
I keep reading posts about people not being able to search for things. Does everyone know that there is a Google Search Tab at the top of the page? Next to naturallycurly.com and above the Grey area that says Welcome: Your Name?? I was surprised that so many don't use it or don't realize it's there??? There are no 3 word minimums just type what you're looking for. This isn't to say you'll always find everything, but it's a good start!
Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    I'll add that if you do the normal search found under the CurlTalk tab, you can click "Search Titles Only" from the drop down option. I almost always find what I'm looking for by using the title option.
  • whatsercurlwhatsercurl Posts: 4,049Registered Users
    The thing that I've found more useful in the board search bar than the Google is if I remember the user who posted something. I find it's hit or miss if I enter the user name in the Google bar.

Other than that, I think it rocks. No 3 letter limitations, and lots of hits every time.
    Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
    Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs :love4:

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    as a professional googler, i have noticed that trusty search box on the top right! But I do understand that not everyone is a pro at googling so thanks for the post. maybe we can make it a sticky. :toothy7:
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I'll add that if you do the normal search found under the CurlTalk tab, you can click "Search Titles Only" from the drop down option. I almost always find what I'm looking for by using the title option.
    now you see, I'm obviously Inept cuz that has never worked for me. It used to make me crazy, I even tried it on the Swap board the other night figuring how hard can it be if someone were selling X and I KNEW I had seen X but the darn thread didn't show up. I ended up Googling it anyway :p

If someone has a great memory then sure, looking up that person's profile and finding the threads they started is great. I have done this on occasion too.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • loewinloewin Posts: 246Registered Users
    I have had so many questions answered by using the Google search at the top there. One thing however that is kind of buggy for me is if go to say page 3 or more, I might click on one of the search results. I then hit the back button on my browser... it takes me all the way back to page one. After that if I don't pay close attention, I have to go back over pages of search results until I can find where I left off. :dontknow:
    Very basic hair wiki :sign9:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyhairwiki.wetpaint.com%2F" class="Popup
    In depth wikis :sign9:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurlyhair.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FMain_Page" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fcurltalk.net%3A8080%2Fweb%2Fguest%2Fwiki%3Bjsessionid%3D56628865A9EAD858B89DF7BC9CB6D285" class="Popup

2b/3a medium/coarse semi-porous/iii
    White Rain Ocean Mist GVP conditioning balm. Bioterra/LA Looks. Air dry. SOTC w/LOOB..I think its my first HG. :love1:
    Experimenting with homemade recipes.:happy5:
    DEL2C wrote: »
    now you see, I'm obviously Inept cuz that has never worked for me. It used to make me crazy, I even tried it on the Swap board the other night figuring how hard can it be if someone were selling X and I KNEW I had seen X but the darn thread didn't show up. I ended up Googling it anyway :p

If someone has a great memory then sure, looking up that person's profile and finding the threads they started is great. I have done this on occasion too.

I don't use the profile .. I use the advanced search function and enter their user name and the topic in either the title (if I know for sure what I want is in the title) or the whole message.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fwhatsercurl%2F" class="Popup

• burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users
    loewin wrote: »
    I have had so many questions answered by using the Google search at the top there. One thing however that is kind of buggy for me is if go to say page 3 or more, I might click on one of the search results. I then hit the back button on my browser... it takes me all the way back to page one. After that if I don't pay close attention, I have to go back over pages of search results until I can find where I left off. :dontknow:

Yea it is pretty buggy at times... but i have no life so i dnt really mind the extra work!!! :sad8::toothy7:
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I don't use the profile .. I use the advanced search function and enter their user name and the topic in either the title (if I know for sure what I want is in the title) or the whole message.

Oh I see, your geekiness is coming through again...I guess I just assumed that whatever I try to do with the Search won't work. So now, I'm gonna go try this out..
    Discovered CG 2007

• xmyheartxmyheart Posts: 37Registered Users
    I actually just discovered this earlier today! don't know why I had never noticed it. :shock: it's always useful to be observant!
    DEL2C wrote: »

Oh I see, your geekiness is coming through again...I guess I just assumed that whatever I try to do with the Search won't work. So now, I'm gonna go try this out..

Try looking up some gardening things .. like wheelbarrows. :)

• curlygirl18curlygirl18 Posts: 355Registered Users
    I too search under the person's name or use that google bar. I still don't know what other search you guys are talking about with only 3 words...I just always use the google or name search!! :)
    Condish Faves: GVP Condish Balm, GDLI, GTTTT
    HG Stylers as of NOW: DMCCB, CJ CCCC, Boots, Re:Coil, SMU, BRHG
    ABSOLUTE FAVES: KCP, CJ AF
  • hotmustang46gthotmustang46gt Posts: 95Registered Users
    I didn't realize it was there until yesterday when I read about it on another thread. Personally (and maybe for others) I've always used the New Posts link and since the Search feature was next to that I thought that was how you searched. Maybe I'm just retarded or something but I honestly think it's easier to see the Search in the orange bar. I never thought about there being two ways to search but now that I know about the Google search, it's pretty awesome.
    3b/3c very thick and porous mod-CG since 03/09

• Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users
    It took me 3 months to realize there was a google search option. I totally felt stupid and now try to mention the google search to all newbies w/questions. The regular search in the orange bar sucks.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

It took me 3 months to realize there was a google search option. I totally felt stupid and now try to mention the google search to all newbies w/questions. The regular search in the orange bar sucks.

I think Lady Del meant 3 letter words not 3 words. The Google search will allow your search to have as few or as many characters as you want when the vBulletin search has a limitation of 4 characters or more.

I neve actually had a problem with the vBulletin search but I'm somewhat of a geek and understand how database queries work so knew how get at what I was looking for in most cases.

What I never noticed before recently is there is no help feature. Message boards run on a few different types of engines, vBulletin and Proboards are the two I can think of off the top of my head. There is a typically a Help section where you can learn how to use the functionality but I didn't find one here. I didn't look hard because if I had to it would defeat the purpose of it being "help"ful.