Frustrated with CG

TCHanson TCHanson Posts: 34Registered Users
I have been CG for about a month and a half and am getting frustrated. My curls seem to be the same and they are frizzy. It has turned out okay some days but frizz has always been a problem. I only use a wide tooth in the shower while conditioner is in it. When i get out i just style and let it air dry and it still gets frizzy without me even touching it. I have also tried plopping and it still gets frizzy. I do deep condition at least twice a week. The only good thing I have noticed is that i get better clumping sometimes. Other than that I don't see the amazing results that everyone else is.
I would appreciate any help!!!

CG since March 2009
Hair Type: 3a
Low-Poo: Naked Naturals (1x a month)
Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
Deep Conditioner: Generic Value Conditioning Balm

Styling:
Gel-Herbal Essence Set Me Up
Mousse- Aussie
Occasionally-Molasses and olive oil.

Comments

• Rebecca 1995Rebecca 1995 Posts: 118Registered Users
    if it helps at all, i don't think that herbal essences hello hydration conditioner is CG:

Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Dimethicone, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera Milk (Coconut), Fragrance, Glutamic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Blue 1

good luck!
    Hair type: 2c - 3b!! o and its thick =]]

Currently Using:
    -John Frieda Daily Nourishment leave-in conditioning spray
    -Alberto VO5 Curvaceous Curls Styling Mousse
    -Living Proof No Frizz, Wave Shaping/Curl Defining Styling Cream (thick to coarse hair)
    I HEART CURLS <3
  • EarthyCurlsEarthyCurls Posts: 495Registered Users
    that should help to cut that HEHH out-- why do so many say they're CG and use it? but Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone are fine and CG, not cones. also, most curly hair will always be a little frizzy.
  • TCHanson TCHanson Posts: 34Registered Users
    Actually if you get the new ones they don't contain that xane anymore or the dimethicone but i guess now i see further down that it has a small amount of aminopropyl dimethicone which i dont think is as bad as dimethicone on its own but ill just cut it out anyways...

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
  • xmyheartxmyheart Posts: 37Registered Users
    maybe you're overconditioned? deep conditioning treatments twice a week sounds a little excessive, maybe cut it back to once a week...just a thought.
  • ZunnsZunns Posts: 3Registered Users
    Maybe it's time for a haircut; I wasn't seeing amazing results either and it was my third month CG! I got a haircut and bam, the results : great curly hair. :thumbup:
    Maybe, but I did get a good 3-4 inches off right around the time I started it....I don't know.

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Don't feel like you have to stick with it if its not working. I tried it a few years ago, and my hair just didn't respond well.

Went back to shampoo, conditioner (Gasp....Tressemme!) and jojoba oil and works out great everytime!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Maybe it has to do with the climate? I live in Minnesota and my hair looks best in the summer because of the humidity and such...

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
    I am continuing to get more and more frustrated with the CG method. I believe my hair is getting less curly and more wavy and limp. It is frizzy and turns out stringy a lot and when it is clumped it is wavy clumps not curls like i used to get.
    I know some people say it can take a lot of time but it has been almost 3 months and nothing seems to be changing.
    I had a haircut around the time I started it and am using CG products.....
    Can anyone help me please???

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
    maybe your hair is reacting with something in your products...
    maybe CG isn't for you... have you tried low-pooing, if so maybe do it more, and leave cones out? maybe you had build up before you started? maybe you need new products or more styling stuff... i don't know, but maybe experimentation would help...
    the adeva spray might be your problem there are a few iffy ingredients that i'm not completely sure about:
    AQUEOUS (WATER, PURIFIED) EXTRACTS: CETRARIA ISLANDICA EXTRACT, ALOE BARBADENSIS LEAF, ARCTIUM LAPPA (BURDOCK) ROOT EXTRACT, LINUM USITATISSIMUM (LINSEED) SEED EXTRACT, VP VA COPOLYMER, PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL, PVP, APRICOT KERNEL AMINO ACIDS, GALACTOARABINAN, ORYZANOL, TOCOPHEROL, DICAPRYLYL ETHER, FERULA GALBANIFLUA (GALBANUM) RESIN OIL, OLIBANUM, FRAGRANCE (PARFUM), DIMETHICONE PEG-7 COCOATE, ACRYLATES BEHENETH-25 METHACRYLATE COPOLYMER, GLYCERIN, MALTODEXTRIN, GLYCINE SOJA (SOYBEAN) OIL, TROMETHAMINE, DISODIUM EDTA, METHYLPARABEN, PHENOXYETHANOL, CHLORPHENESIN, CARAMEL, MICA, TITANIUM DIOXIDE (CI 77891), IRON OXIDES (CI 77491, 77492, 77499), EXT VIOLET 2 (CI 60730),
    Before starting the CG method I only shampooed 1-2 times a week. I was using cones then but never noticed any sort of buildup at all.
    When I started the CG method I made sure I did one last sulfate wash and then started it and I am not using any cones at all now.

I am hoping once the weather gets hotter here (MN) it will help, my hair always looks better in the summer but besides that idk what else to do and I am getting tempted to go back to using my old products because my hair was less frizzy and my curls were more defined.

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
  • likethegumlikethegum Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A couple of the other posters have pointed out that there are cones, xanes, and castor oil in your products, that could be making things worse. Also, you said your hair is wavy and limp; that's how my hair gets when I overcondition, especially with protein. Maybe if you cut back on the deep conditioners it would help?

Otherwise, you could try a few new products and see if that helps, it took me quite a few experiments to find a combination that worked for me.

Good luck, I hope you can find something that works for you!
    3b/3a - CG since 04-30-2009
    fine texture, med porosity
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Co-wash:
    GTTT, Live Clean, EO Sweet Orange
    Condish: Calia, AO Rosa Mosqueta/White Camellia/Honeysuckle Rose/Island Naturals/GPB, ABBA Pure Gentle, Desert Essence Shea Butter
    DT: Usually just use one of my richer conditioners, sometimes add oils or honey
    Gels: Homemade FSG!!!, Druide, BRHG, Alba Soft Hold Style Cream,
    AOMM

experimenting with: honey, agave, oils, butters, ACV, Curls Milkshake, more conditioners

just curious, what was the herbal essence you said didn't have cones?
    The curly gel one
    Totally Twisted
    the ingredients are:
    Water, PVP, Laureth-23, Lavandula Angustifolia Flower/Leaf Stem Extract (Lavender), Jade Plant Extract (Crassula Argentea), Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate Copolymer,
    Triisopropanolamine, Carbomer, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin, PEG-12 Dimethicone, Propylparaben, Disodium EDTA

I don't think any of those are cones are they? The Dimethicone at the end is water soluble since the PEG-12 is in front of it. I know other CG's who use this gel.

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
  • andrea_candrea_c Posts: 2Registered Users
    The aussie 3 minute miracle is not CG safe and will really weigh your hair down. Maybe if you try cutting that out and replacing it with another deep conditioner and use it less often, that will help.
    There are two Aussie 3 minute miracles, a white one and a purple one. The purple one has cones and xanes and the white one does not. I have seen white ones with cones and xanes described online, but the one I purchased only has one cone that is water soluble. Most of it was used already but just to be safe I threw it out anyways.

Thanks for the advice girls!
    Hopefully with the weather getting warmer here it will help my curls!

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
  • Lil'curlsLil'curls Posts: 275Registered Users
    Are you using your suave naturals as your rinse out? I know I did that for a while, and it wasn't moisturizing enough, and it left my hair so frizzy. If you're looking for drugstore products, you could try the Loreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for Medium to Long Hair that's curly. I use that and I love it. :)
    Teenage curly with 3a-3b course curls
    Shampoo: DCLP
    Rinse Out: GVP conditioning balm in winter. Devacurl One Condition in Summer
    Co Wash: Suave
    Styler: LA Looks Curl Gel
    Leave in: Devacurl One Condition

event.png

Hey lilcurls! Thanks for the suggestion! I tried looking for that and everywhere I find it I can only find ones with the cone in it!
    I was using suave, but I did start using the generic value conditioning balm from sally's and it has worked really well and my curls have been doing a lot better!
    I think I was overconditioning.

I am not as frustrated anymore, but just wishing my frizz was less!

Thanks to all for the advice!

CG since March 2009

Styling:
    Mousse- Aussie
  • NoraCurlNoraCurl Posts: 345Registered Users
    if it helps at all, i don't think that herbal essences hello hydration conditioner is CG:

Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Dimethicone, Vanilla Planifolia Fruit Extract, Cocos Nucifera Milk (Coconut), Fragrance, Glutamic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Citric Acid, Blue 1

good luck!

Actually, those ingredients are their old version. They updated their ingredients a looong time ago. They removed the cyclopentiasiloxane and dimethicone, they changed it to bis-aminopropyl dimethicone, which is water-soluble. I just started using it, and it's really thick and a plus is that it smells amazing!

CO-wash: Suave Naturals Refreshing Tangerine CO
    Rinse-out: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration CO
    Leave-in: V05 Tea Therapy Nourishing Calming Chamomile CO
    Styling: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Scrunching Gel
    Deep CO: Burt's Bees Shea & Grapefruit 2-Minute Deep Treatment
    :toothy4::toothy4:
    "Smile...just do it.":angel11:

3aMii, medium porosity, medium to low elasticity:color:

Shampoo & Conditioner: HE Hydralicious Featherweight
    Styling: HETMS Spray Gel and Finishing Touch Cream
    DT: GF Triple Nutrition

Leave a Comment