Sleeping Troubles...

FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
Did any of you have long term swaddlers? If so, what age did you stop swaddling? Lilly turns 11 months tomorrow and we still swaddle her. It is and isn't working out for us anymore and I need to find something for her to get her to sleep through the night again, because not having sleep isn't working out for any of us.

We start out putting her down to sleep by swaddling and she will typically be out in a matter of minutes. However, she will start working her arms out of the blanket by the middle of the night and wake herself up. She slept from 9-1:30 last night and then woke up. We then didn't go back to sleep until 5. She seems to be okay with just one arm out, but once she gets the other out she wakes up and then sits up. It's like she's co-dependent on the blanket, but she wants out of it at the same time.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've never known an 11 month old who would tolerate swaddling, especially not with arms confined. At that age, they need to be able to move around and flip-flop to get comfortable. I'd stop swaddling if I were you, and I'd put her to bed on her tummy and see if that didn't stop the waking-from-arm-movement thing.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    RCW, I was watching during that time period that we were awake last night and saw that we were probably done with the swaddling.

She is down for the night after trying to get her to sleep for an hour. I don't know how long it's going to last, but we'll see. She fought us because she knows that the blanket means bedtime. There was a lot of sweat and tears. Do you think it's just a matter of her getting used to sleeping without the blanket and that she will eventually go down as easily without the blanket as she does with it?
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We felt that Xander still needed the blanket but needed his arms free so we used a sleeveless sleepsack. Maybe trying something similar would help.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FieryCurls wrote: »
    RCW, I was watching during that time period that we were awake last night and saw that we were probably done with the swaddling.

She is down for the night after trying to get her to sleep for an hour. I don't know how long it's going to last, but we'll see. She fought us because she knows that the blanket means bedtime. There was a lot of sweat and tears. Do you think it's just a matter of her getting used to sleeping without the blanket and that she will eventually go down as easily without the blanket as she does with it?

Maybe just start her out with the swaddling, then slip in later and remove it or loosen it?
    FieryCurls wrote: »

Maybe just start her out with the swaddling, then slip in later and remove it or loosen it?

Well, she has already woken up one time and I just got finished getting her back to sleep. I hope this isn't going to be a long night, but I fear it will be. I am going to bed as soon as I submit this because I really need some sleep. I might try the above tomorrow night after I see how tonight goes. She might need to be eased into it instead of going cold turkey.

Darkangel, I have seen the blankets you are talking about. I have never thought to get one since she is covered in the swaddle, but I might try it if all else fails.

Hopefully I will have good news tomorrow.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just remembered something. I stopped swaddling at naps around 4 months old but swaddled at bedtime for a long time after that. Could you try to ease her into not swaddling by skipping it at naps and wait a few days for bedtime?

We used the sleepsack after we stopped swaddling completely. We swaddled until at least 9 months. I can't remember when we stopped but he still seemed to need his legs covered.

I hope tonight goes well.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    My daughter was swaddled to 11 months old. Then I thought its probably been long enough. It also occured to me that the swaddling might be exacerbating her delays in physical development because she wasn't rolling or mobile (she has other health issues so it may have had nothing to do with the swaddling, but it was my motivation to wean her from the swaddle).

So did what Dark Angel did and moved from full swaddle, to half-swaddle (arms out), to no swaddle at nap time to sleep sack.

The strange thing with my daughter is that at 11 months she seemed ready to give up her pacifier, but once we weaned from the swaddle, she started needed the pacifier to sleep again. So she's 17 months old and that's a battle yet to come, but for now she's sleeping swaddle free (and rolling and crawling finally!).

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users

So did what Dark Angel did and moved from full swaddle, to half-swaddle (arms out), to no swaddle at nap time to sleep sack.

We did this too. I don't remember when we fully gave up swaddling (6 months? 8 months?), but we did it gradually and transitioned to a sleep sack.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    We introduced a comfort toy when we stopped swaddling.

I believe we swaddled until around 9 months.

He still sleeps wih his comfort toy (at 2.5)
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    I have just gotten on and read all of the responses. Last night was just as bad as what I thought it would be. She woke up so many times last night that I finally swaddled her sometime in the middle of the night because I didn't have the strength to fight with her unswaddled. Then she pulled her previous night's pattern around 2 and we were up until my husband left at 5. It sucked!!!

I started putting her down for her 1:00 nap at around 12:40ish and she only fought me for about 7 minutes. I was walking out of the room before 1:00 and she hasn't woken up yet, so we are doing better than last night at this point. I don't know what I am going to do for tonight.

Madscientist...Lilly hasn't been delayed in her physical development at all. I think she started rolling over slightly before the average time, she started crawling right before 8 months and is into everything, she can pulled up onto things or people really well, and she can pull up free style most of the time.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I might be trying all of them at some point.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    You have my sympathy. I think it's definitely good to try all and any suggestions that seem reasonable, but be prepared that the next few nights are just going to SUCK. The bright side is that they seem to be sucking anyway, and that eventually she will get used to sleeping unswaddled and it will get better. We had to go through it a lot sooner with my daughter(she was STRONG and busting out of any and all swaddles at 4-5 months) and it was really bad for about a week, but then she got used to it and it got better.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    geeky wrote: »
    You have my sympathy. I think it's definitely good to try all and any suggestions that seem reasonable, but be prepared that the next few nights are just going to SUCK. The bright side is that they seem to be sucking anyway, and that eventually she will get used to sleeping unswaddled and it will get better. We had to go through it a lot sooner with my daughter(she was STRONG and busting out of any and all swaddles at 4-5 months) and it was really bad for about a week, but then she got used to it and it got better.

Thanks...that gives me hope. I have only had one full night of sleep since the middle of Jan. We went to visit my M-I-L in March and she took her for the night so that we could get some sleep. The no sleep is made worse by the fact that she was sleeping through the night from the end of 3 months until 7.5 months. I just want to get back to those days.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
    Well, she went down without a fight tonight and has been asleep for a little over an hour. I am afraid she is getting in a catnap and then will do her pattern, but maybe not. Goodnight everyone.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I feel for you on the sleep. addison was sleeping through the night up until about a month ago. I'm thinking it's a formula issue since I've had to start supplementing. I'm trying soy now.

Here's to sleeping through the night again. :D
    Well, we had a better night last night.

She slept all night without being swaddled and only woke up once. She went from 9-2 and then woke up. I tried just patting her back while in the P-n-P, but she would act asleep and then wake back up. This went on for 30 minutes. I put her in the bed and put her on my chest where she fell right back to sleep. She slept like that for a while and then moved to the crook of my arm. I was then fully awake since I had been standing up for so long, so I just watched her curled up in my arm. My heart could just melt when I watch her sleep!! My husband will one day get a picture of this. I put her back in her bed after an hour and she slept there from 4-8:15 when we started our day. So she pretty much slept 5 hours at a time with a 30 minute break.

I hope things just get better from now on instead of this being a fluke.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file